Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Apr 17, 2005, 5:58 AM   #11

First one is sweet...that is a super effect, and the frame adds to it just right. (we'll be asking for lessons here if you keep this up!) Second one does not have the same appeal for me, maybe because the first one is such a hard act to follow. The only thought that crosses my mind which M I G H T improve it is a crop...but bear in mind my newb status...best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 7:30 AM   #12

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
...but bear in mind my newb status...best regards,

KENNETH, anyone would think you haven't been a member for 9 months, 11 days and ?? hours, or that you have posted 669 times . Surely you should consider yourself at least an advanced novice by now :G.

Regards,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 9:29 AM   #13

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
First one is sweet...that is a super effect, and the frame adds to it just right. (we'll be asking for lessons here if you keep this up!) Second one does not have the same appeal for me, maybe because the first one is such a hard act to follow. The only thought that crosses my mind which M I G H T improve it is a crop...but bear in mind my newb status...best regards,

KennethD

Yes I agree on the second shot, her doll was in the way a lot and she was not in the mood to have me photograph her so I took what I could get:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 9:30 AM   #14

Stevekin wrote:
Quote:
Aladyforty, if you go to the site you linked to, as well as the four action sets in the Bud Guinn's Collection, click on the Photoshop Actions section next to it.There are a number of actions there including some more frames.

Stevekin.
thanks will have a look
Old Apr 18, 2005, 9:07 AM   #15

Another good Photoshop Action site is Action Central

(http://www.atncentral.com)

They're kind of an action clearinghouse -- lots of actions, including frame actions!

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 9:08 AM   #16

P.S. Alady -- I like the sepia tones; I think, however, that the frames should be (1) a little bit bigger for the image sizes you have and (2) a different color (or more appropriately, darker) for more contrast between the image and the frame.

Nice, though!
~kjk

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 10:32 AM   #17

perdendosi wrote:
Quote:
(2) a different color (or more appropriately, darker) for more contrast between the image and the frame.

I'm with perdendosi on this one Aladyforty. Here's my example of the same frame darker. Just select the frame, then press Ctrl + C to copy the selection, then Ctrl + V to paste the selection onto it's own layer. Then click on select/reselect and click on the create new fill or adjustment layer at the bottom of the layers palette. Choose Hue/Saturation and move the lightness slider to the left to see the difference. You can of course change the colour this way as well.

Hope you don't mind.

Old Apr 18, 2005, 10:43 AM   #18

nope I dont mind but Im lost with it already:lol:
Old Apr 18, 2005, 11:08 AM   #19

Personally, I agree with Frank too. The frames are not needed.

'Frames' detract from rather than add to the picture. If the frame is more noticible than the shot istelf..then it is a distraction and if the frame is tacky (and most of them are) it makes the picture look tacky too!

In most cases, the edges of the shot provide all the 'frame' that you will need.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 12:16 PM   #20

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
nope I dont mind but Im lost with it already:lol:
Open image in PS, using the Rectangular Marquee tool drag inside the frame as close as you can. If you need to adjust it, right click inside the selection and choose Free Transform and move the marching ants to where you want them by dragging the sides in or out. Once you're happy with it go up to select and click on Inverse. Now the whole frame is selected and not the image. With the selection still active press Ctrl + C on the keyboard followed by Ctrl + V, this will copy and paste the frame onto it's own layer. The selection will have disappeared, so go up to Select and click on Reselect so that we only make changes to the frame, then click on the Create new fill or adjustment layer at the bottom of the layers palette, (bottom right of the screen, 4th from the left).From the menuthat should appear click on Hue/Saturation and another box will pop up. Move the Lightness slider to the left to darken the frame, move the Hue or Saturation sliders to change the colour and intensity if you wish. When you are done don't forget to save it as a PSD file then you can make the changes as and when you wish to. Also save it as a jpeg of course for posting or printing etc. Go to Layer/Flatten Image.

Regards,

Stevekin.