Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Apr 20, 2005, 7:07 PM   #1

ok folks.... a newbie here would like help in all catagories. I am using Fugi FinePix S5100 and currently have two 500 watt halogen lights, one on each side of subject, lights have silver and white umbrellas attached. I want to make these pictures look professional. Help me get lighting to bring out the best .....I welcome all comments.... good and bad... I want to learn.... until I can get more professional equipment this is all I have so give me your best shot... Thanks.... ConnieD

http://public.fotki.com/ConnieD/steves_forums/
ConnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2005, 7:55 PM   #2

I'm more of a traditional artist than a photographer, so take this input with a grain of salt...

image 1: The red is fairly jarring. I know this sort of thing can be tricky to fix, but I think if you dial down the saturation there a little bit, it will help the overall image. I might also re-compose a little bit, cropping in a little tighter. The space at the top of the frame makes her look a little smaller, but I think it just a little too much dead space. The lighting overall seems a hair flat. I might try putting a kicker behind her for a little rim lighting. I'd also turn down one of the halogen lights so it isn't lit so evenly. Overall though I think the image is successful.

image 2: Similar comment to the composition. Since the tarp isn't really the subject of the photo, I'd probably have less of it in the frame (crop in closer). The lighting on this one is more successful that the last. I particularly like what's going on with her shoulder.

image 3: Same comment on composition. I really like the highlights you're getting in the eyes. I might move a little green out of the midtones.

final notes... just as something to play with... the depth of field in all the images seems a little too deep. I might try blurring the background out just a tad to put a little more focus (no pun intended) on the subject. One more thing, and sorry if I'm telling you something you already know, but for now I'd focus on the "rule of thirds" I did a quick google on the topic and the following site seems to give a decent explaination:
http://www.silverlight.co.uk/tutoria...se/thirds.html

Overall everything is looking good!
Ammut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 8:05 PM   #3

Thank you Ammaut!!!! I posted these pix without anything being done to them. I will, of course crop, and I will see what I can come up with in the saturation. As I said I am all new at this.... and I don't use Photoshop so there is another strike against me.. Also.. what is a kicker? Is that a light behind the backdrop? It seems I have so much to learn. I appreciate the critique on the pictures because I need some direction. I will attempt to fix these and see what comes. How do I move a little green out of the midtones??? I am off now to look at the link you provided. Thanks so much!!! ConnieD
Old Apr 21, 2005, 8:50 AM   #4

Welcome, ConnieD to the forum.:-)

You have three very nice pics!

I especially like the look on #3.

Keep up the good work!

Digcamfan
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 8:57 AM   #5

Thank you Digcamfan for the welcome. From the looks of others photos I have a long way to go. Mine look like snapshots... But.. with time I hope to improve. Just need to learn more.. Thanks...:G Connie
Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:30 PM   #6

I like the first one best.. I think it would have been better though at a lower angle.. Is her outfit really that red?? Re 2 and 3, I'm not a big fan of props in portraits but that's probably just me.. The looks on her face are great though..

Jeff

:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 3:50 PM   #7

Hey Connie,

Kicker, in a traditional lighting set up is the light behind(ish) the subject. Here's a decent page explaining a basic (classic) three light set-up. http://www.mediacollege.com/lighting/three-point/ What the page refers to "back" light, I call a kicker for some reason.

Anyway... To drop a little green from your midtones... [in photoshop] go into your curve editor (<ctrl-M>), change the working curve to green, and slowly drag down on the center of the curve. In other editing packages, the process is very similar I'm sure, just find something that sounds like "adjust curves" and try it out.

Good lucK!
Ammut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 7:06 PM   #8

Hey Jeff...I appreciate your comments. and Yes I do think her dress is that red... but others have commented on it being a bit bright. so I may have to do some work on it. Since I am just getting into this I know there is alot I don't know.... I guess with the props I was trying to achieve something in the pictures we have taken at Walmart and Penneys... Thanks for your openess. Connie
Old Apr 21, 2005, 7:09 PM   #9

Hi Ammut... Thanks for telling me those things. We are just getting a third light so maybe that will help with the photos... and I will read the link and try to do something with the green tones... I use Paint Shop Pro 9 and I am sure that will be able to be done there too. Thanks again!! Connie:-)
Old Apr 22, 2005, 8:36 AM   #10

Number three is very nice.:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote