Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Apr 24, 2005, 2:34 PM   #1

Last night we were trapped in a subtropical swimming paradise, and while normal people would go swimming we did something else with 36 degrees C is was HOT.

More on www.doorhof.nl/models

With thanks to Hunkemöller and Dijkstal for the clothing/shoes/bags, and LIBERTY modelling for inviting me for the shoot .

Greetings,
Frank

shot with only the 20D, available light and a 580EX
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2005, 5:43 PM   #2

Wow Frank! Amazing -- (Especially since you only used the 20D and 580ex). But the best of the series is the water cannon shot on your website. Holy cow, that's how I feel!

Edit: I think these are your best ever Frank. Really. (Although I'm not sure about the flare in the first one... it really obscures the model's face IMO, but the rest are superior!)
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 5:24 AM   #3

The flare is a love hate I think.
Personally I love to work with this kind of extremes but I know some people hate it .
Old Apr 25, 2005, 6:15 AM   #4

Very nice set and models aren't bad either. The harsh flash shadows on all the shots except #2 & #5 make these images look somewhat semiskilled. Of course, I realize you are very skilled...We just don't normally see this kind of shadow on this level.

I like the lens flare thing on the first image, but wish it wasn't on her face. The back lighting of her hair is awesome.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 10:59 AM   #5
Administrator

RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:
Very nice set and models aren't bad either. The harsh flash shadows on all the shots except #2 & #5 make these images look somewhat semiskilled. Of course, I realize you are very skilled...We just don't normally see this kind of shadow on this level.
My take on theseis that Frank wanted to pick up more of the ambient light in the background.

Since the exposure needed to be set bright enough to do this, he really didn't have a choice for this pose location with what he available for equipment (i.e., the background lighting was dominant enough so that it caused shadows, depite the use of the 580EX).

In shot number 6, it appears that the flash is a bit more dominant compared to the others, with a bit of overexposure (or flash reflection) one models left leg.

But, that's a compromise for the number of models, shutter speed and aperture settings for better background exposure, etc. You can't always have perfect lighting (and/or equipment available to achieve it).

Personally, I'd prefer living with the shadows, versus having a darker background, if I had to make a choice. I think the background simply adds too much to these photos (versus the typical studio style settingswe often see).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 11:02 AM   #6

I dont know much about this sort of photography but Im just going to say that I like shot five very much.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 11:20 AM   #7
Administrator

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
I dont know much about this sort of photography but Im just going to say that I like shot five very much.
You're not the only one... That's definitely my favorite out of this set.

Old Apr 25, 2005, 2:36 PM   #8

I kinda like the flash feel. Not that I've seen any lately, but it kind of reminds me of the ultra glam pictures you'd see in Vogue or GQ... the models look almost plastic, shiny, not-of-this-world. The front flash gives an almost runway look to them. I agree that sometimes there are weird shadows or reflections that slightly detract, and also the shadows in the "enclosed room" pictures make the image look less professional, but overall the effect works for me, especially considering the glam-commercial nature of the shoot.

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 2:40 PM   #9

I had no choice over the location indeed.
Because there was ALOT of water I did not take with me my studio flash setup and decided to shoot everything with ambiant light and fill in flash with the 580EX with a white omnibounce.

I don't have the money for a ringflash so the shadows will be like normal for a flash on the cam...

I used a tripod for the ambiant light and the first curtain flash to freeze the models.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 3:50 PM   #10
Administrator

I actually like the lighting the way it is for this type of subject. The more I look at them, the more I like them.

The glare from the background lighting, shadows, etc.,seems to add something that I can't quite put my finger on to the images -- perhapsasensual/rawfeel to them (sorry, I didn't consult a thesaurus to try and say what they project to my eyes).

Anyway, I thing it's a cool look.