Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Apr 25, 2005, 3:59 AM   #1

This is kind of a spin off from the water challange. I went back to the spouts to check out what it was like during the day and also to wait for night to fall. These were captures from waiting on my old friend the moon to show herself. Children are great subjects because they just keep being kids even with a camera around. The first little girl here got a real surprise when that spout shot up about 3 seconds later. I wish I had better timing.

Plain Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2005, 5:02 PM   #2

Are these that bad? No comments.. hehe

I really don't know what is or isn't yet guys so I need imput. Welcome it even.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 6:10 PM   #3

One thing that strikes me is the exposure seems really flat and dim for the scene. A little girl playing out in the fountains; it would seem more natural with more highlightts and a brighter subject.

Fill flash might have helped here.
Proxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 8:00 PM   #4

I like them, maybe a bit dark but it does not mean bad.
I love that look.

Well done.
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 7:18 AM   #5

I loove your pics Jane

I don't usualy do this but I ran them through Adobe Photo Elements 3.0 using smartfix and here are the results.

I am a 7.0 user but my wife likes Elements 3.0 because it is easier to use.

She's a cutie.
Attached Images

colasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 7:18 AM   #6

2nd pic
Attached Images

colasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 8:08 AM   #7

Proxes wrote:
Quote:
One thing that strikes me is the exposure seems really flat and dim for the scene. A little girl playing out in the fountains; it would seem more natural with more highlightts and a brighter subject.

Fill flash might have helped here.
I can see what you mean. I'm having issues with under exposure and I'm not sure how to fix it yet. I've got 3 books I'm reading at the moment and I have to admit I haven't read up on flash use. I've been concentrating on the basics like how to compose a good shot. I have noticed I have a tendency to like to photograph really mixed lighting and it throws me way off. I'm going to have go read somemore and see how to fix this. I want to keep the reflections but light up the subject. I also want to keep the shadows that play off of people and objects.
*scratches her head*

I can see what I want but I just can't make the camera dupilcate it yet.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 10:33 AM   #8

I understand what you mean. I learned the technical side first and now I'm slowly starting to get into composition. The hardest part for me is post processing of my pictures. I have trouble getting my day light pictures to not look flat. I'm doing ok, but I would like to be better.

If you're using a D-SLR you have a bit more forgiveness in fixing your pictures in photoshop, with a Point and Shot it's a bit harder.

One of my biggest mistakes early on was my monitor wasn't calibrated, I kept it really dark (compared to what it should have been), soI would adjust the pictures to look like I wanted on my monitor and anywhere else, ugh - not so good. Was hard getting used to a properly calibrated monitor for me, but you do what you have to do.

I think the key to getting a really great picture is being blessed with the perfect ambient light.
Proxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 10:43 AM   #9

I bought a Nikon D-70 figuring it would give plenty of growing room. It's my first "real" camera and man there is a steep learning curve. My goal is to be able to get the shot that I want no matter what lighting is thrown at mewith not having to editin photoshop if at all possible.