Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jul 1, 2005, 1:23 AM   #11

Travis;

You have some nice photos here. Good poses and composition. Using wide aperture for shallow DOF is the right thing to do for portraits. Overall, I like #4 and #6 the best, primarily because your model isn't squinting as much due to bright light. This is the only real problem I see with the others, though.

Regarding WB; are you using Adobe RGB color space, or something other than sRGB? Also, browsers don't always show colors quite the same as editing software, especially if the software is using color management. I use browser preview option prior to posting pics. (if I remember) If you have that feature available, you might try it to see if there is a difference.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 3:00 AM   #12

Number 2 and 7 for me.
Indeed some are a bit fuzzy but I like the shallow DOF, makes focusing on the eyes even so more important.
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 2:58 PM   #13

Thank you all for the tips and advice, they are much appreciated.

I am using the Adobe RGB color space, and i have never thought to try the browser preview program.

I agree with the depth of field. I will increast the aperture to 2.0 or 2.8 next time. But just as frank said, i have always focused on the eyes when taking the pictures.

Again, thank you all for the advice and comments.

-Travis-
tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 3:20 PM   #14

I think you're doing a great job...keep it up
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 4:16 PM   #15

Very nice work and very smart of you to shoot f/1.8 and RAW. If you want a detailed review, bring these over to the Critiques forum. I think you'll get some useful suggestions there.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 8:02 PM   #16

I agree that portraits should be shot with a large aperture but most of these aren't "portraits" in the true sense. It's common to use a soft focus for portraits but If you're going to shoot compositions outdoors where the setting is a major part of the picture, you should make sure the complete subject (area/body)is in the same DOF. #8 is hard to view because of the sharp trunk on the left. It makes the rest of pic look out of focus (as it is).

#1 is a pretty good shot.

#2 would look good with the feet cropped.

#3 is good but the high contrast to the right of the head is distracting.

#4 is good but the continued blur past the elbow could be cropped.

#5 & 6 are good shots but the B&W adds age and you loose theimpact of the eyes.

#7 is a good shot but I would crop just below the top rail.

#8 Out of focus.

#9, 10 & 11 are pretty good shots but for some reason #9 looks lack-luster. Maybe becauseof the "down shot", I'm not sure.

If the setting is not to be a major part the picture, I wouldput the subject in a shallow DOF and a tight frame; Otherwise, the shots could have been done indoors with a backdrop. JMHO.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 10:52 PM   #17

CCWKen,

I agree with MOST of the comments about each picture. the one i strongly object too is #4.

I INTENTIONALLY left the rest of her body past the elbow in, even though it was not in focus. And between her family and me, that is both of our's favorite picture out of the session. I will not be editing that one.

Focusing was done using AF and the focus point i used was her eye.

Again, with the issue of depth of field, i will work on that. But please bare in mind that i am following the advice of photographer's that do Senior Pictures for a living, and for outdoor shots, said that f1.8 or f2.0 should be used.

Most of the blurred backgrounds are of flowers, that was to enhance and add color to the picture, but the picture is not meant to be a picture of the flowers, so i used very shallow depth of field, to add the color, but elliminate the distraction of the flowers.

Picture #8 was out of focus to begin with, but it being used as wallet sized pictures, as an Unsharp mask in Photoshop allows them to come out quite well as wallets.

Picture #7. I agree with the cropping and have made the adjustment to it.

Picture # 2, Agree again, and have cropped the image.

Thank you for the advice, and suggestions, they were very much appreciated

-Travis-
tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 11:56 AM   #18

Picture #9 could have been the best of them. Maybe if you could brighten the left of her face and hair. It will be one of the ones to really look back on. Because I get the feeling that her hair with fuller colour would work very well with the long grass. I do understand the the sun was probably just gone past the optimum point.

The other areas I would have done differently would have been to get her to hug her knees and gone closer in.

Great shots though. KUTGW!
Buceph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 12:34 PM   #19

Great pics and great model.

With #2, I think her foot being out of focus is a bit distracting.

I really like #3. I wish there were more detail in her eyes though.

#4 is great. I like the DOF. The top of her head is cut off a bit though. But GREAT picture.

#7 & #8 are great poses and settings. I really like them. #8 looks a bit green on my monitor though. Could me my monitor though.

#9 nine is great. Great color, breat pose.

Overall, great work. Keep it up.
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 1:12 AM   #20

This isn't a critique forum, but since everyone is doing it, here goes. :-)

1. Overall a good shot, but you have too much tree in the frame. The exposure is accurate for the scene, but a bit low on her face. I'll provide an edit of this one for comparison.

2. I like the shallow DOF on this one, but feel the lighting is a bit too harsh for a girl. The tree directly behind her is something you should avoid in the future. Though blurred, the power lines in the background should be cloned out. Again, something to look for in the future. Otherwise, it's a good shot.

3. This one looks great, but lacks sharpness and a sparkle in her eyes. I suspect the sharpness went south when you downsized for the web. I'd crop a little from both sides of the image, but not a lot. I would also selectively unsharpen the plants and flowers slightly so that the subject is the sharpest element in the frame. Some will fuss about the blown highlights, but they work well here in my opinion.

4. I like this one as well. This one also looks a bit soft probably due to downsizing. Work with it to get a little more sparkle in the eyes and it will be just fine.

5. I'm not crazy about this one. The contrast just doesn't seem to fit the scene for me.

6. I like this version much better. It lacks the sharpness I mention on the previous images. Get more sparkle from the eyes and do a levels adjustment to get the face a tad brighter. I'd crop a little more from behind(left side) her than what you have.

7. I like the pose and props for this one. The image lacks contrast and good lighting on the eyes which make the eyes look soft or out of focus. Work on the eyes for more sparkle and increase the contrast and you'll have a great image she will be proud of. I'd probably crop a little more from the bottom than what you have here.

8. Apparently, your camera focused on the nearest tree trunk on this one.

9. This one is very good. I'd brighten up the face slightly and crop a little more from the left. Otherwise it is pretty good.

10. Another nice one and the DOF works well here too. Get a little more sparkle in the eyes and this one will be another winner.

11. This one looks like you tried to crop too much from a much wider view, but could be the focus. It isn't one that can be salvaged.

The eyes and teeth are lacking light on each image. It is easy enough to correct in post, but you may want to try using a reflector for fill for future attempts.

Rodney
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote