Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jul 8, 2005, 5:13 PM   #31

tswen i hope you dont mind ... i had to test some editing on your photo... I think these photos would look even better if you adjust levels correctly....

I tweaked some levels and color balance for this shot.... and little USM... what do you think... do you see the difference... sorry my bad english.

"original"

"Edit"

Bache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 11:21 PM   #32

Wow, i love the difference!!!

Can you please tell me what steps you used in Photoshop to achieve the results.

I would be very much appreciative.

And your english is just fine :-)I understood every word.

Thank you very much!

-Travis-
tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 11:24 AM   #33

Well... couldn't resist after seeing the previous edit. A more 'gentle' version from me:

Pulled a gentle 'S' to get rid of some of the contrast problems. Didn't quite like how it looked, did a "Unsharp Mask" at 10%, 50px radius. And then bumped up saturation on reds by selecting her lip color by +10 or +15 (cannot remember). All done in Photoshop CS2.

On a second view, this edit looks a bit yellowish... Oh, well... might need to recalibrate my monitor n' stuff.

leongty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 3:06 AM   #34

tswen wrote:
Quote:
Wow, i love the difference!!!

Can you please tell me what steps you used in Photoshop to achieve the results.

I would be very much appreciative.

And your english is just fine :-)I understood every word.

Thank you very much!

-Travis-

Hello again! When I normally edit my photosIjust adjust "levels" and some usm...

First go and dublicate a layer on your photo.. then select soft brush tool about50% on 40 %fill value.

Now switch to quickmask mode and select "black" color on your color palette. Now paint the subjectusing soft brush ( dont worry it should look redish when your making mask using black color) If you want to erase mask color just choose "white color" in the color palette.

When u have your mask area ready try to add some gaussian blur just to smoothen some edges of the mask...I usually use 10%- 20% debending of the photo of course.

After adding some gaussian blur leave quick mask mode and select "invert".

Then go to levels menu and adjust levels for selected area... if you choose again "invert" you can adjust levels for the background...I think this is very usefull way to get backround+ foreground in good levels and color.I hope you know how to use levels in nomal way??

I added some USM to entire picture.... and color balansed your photo using "color balance menu from photoshop.

After adjusting levels I did go to quickmask mode and painted small mask on her face to lift the face up using levels correction...after that i selected her eyes and boosted some USM.

I hope this helps...

P.s It would be much easier to explain this in Finnish

Old Jul 11, 2005, 9:46 AM   #35

Bache,

Thank you so much for the information. I forgot all about the quick mask!:angry:

I was able to produce a result very similar to yours, the only difference is that i did not use as much USM.

Here is my edit

Let me know what you think

Thanks so much again.

-Travis-
Old Jul 11, 2005, 9:54 AM   #36

I think your new edit is better than before... I would brighten her face a little using levels.... but i think it's a matter of taste...
Old Jul 11, 2005, 9:45 PM   #37

How about this edit. I think so far this is my favorite pic, just because of the setting and the contrast of her clothes to it.

ORIGINAL:

EDITED:

-Travis-
Old Jul 12, 2005, 12:16 AM   #38

Travis,

This edit looks like it has blown out her clothes, details that were there are nearly all gone. Try minimizing your contrast adjustments to her clothes.

Blown-out clothes, etc. works sometimes, especially when you used a diffuser to shoot or did a effect similar to the Gothic Glow action. You can find this action by typing "Feivel's Gothic Glow" or sumthin' like that on a search engine. I believe it's free.

Just my 2cents. Keep :|
leongty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 12:28 AM   #39

After looking at the 8 x 10 proof and the forum image, i agree that it is blown out. But only on the forum. The actual print out, has all the detail of her shirt. I am still trying to figure out why images look different when posted to this forum. I have even tried the browser preview in Photoshop, but for some reason, the images still look different. Contrast in the picture seems to be increased (the reason for the blown shirt highlight), but when viewed on my computer, it looks great.

can anyone shed some light on this???

-Travis-
Old Jul 12, 2005, 1:24 AM   #40

What color space your are editing your photos? Do you convertin them to sRGB when puplished in internet?