Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jun 29, 2005, 9:08 PM   #1

Hello all,

This is my first time shooting Senior Portraits, so be nice :-).

The shots were taken with a Canon Digital Rebel
With a Canon 50mm f/1.8 Mark II Lens
Camera was set in Aperture Priority Mode, with an aperture of f/1.8. All pictures were taken in RAW Mode

Out of the whole session, these are the 11 best pictures (inmy opinion)

-Travis-
tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2005, 9:58 PM   #2

#10 gets my vote although I don't like the DOF in most of them (1 & 6 are ok).

Why f1.8? Lots of great setting shots with blury setting.

Why RAW?

I'd push the white balance a little. It would help with the green teeth.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 10:06 PM   #3

CCWKen,

thank you for the comments. the reason i chose f/1.8 was because from what i saw by going to other senior portrait companies. such as Atlantis, and Kipp photography (local business that almost every highschool senior goes to). All use very shallow depths of field. According to them, this is to draw attention to the subject, and NOT the background.

I talked with the photographers from both of these places, and both said that an aperture of f/1.8 or f/2.0 was used with 50mm and 85mm lenses.

I took their advice and set my camera the same way they did.

As for the green teeth??? They look fine on my monitor, and print fine, since both my monitor and printer and matched with color profiles. I'm not sure, but i might be your monitor. Anyone else see green teeth?
Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:08 PM   #4

Most of the photos seem a tiny bit blurry to me. #2 by far is the sharpest, but the others seem to display a bit of diffraction around the edges, most likely due to using such a low f-stop. According to Canon's MTF charts, that lens produces sharper images using f/8, but it can produce decently sharp images around the center of the lens at f/2. I would suggest that if you use such a low f-stop, try moving further away from the subject so that she occupies the center of the photo and not the whole photo. This way you can maximize the sharpness of the subject at a small sacrifice in resolution. Another solution is to sharpen the images using your desired photo suite. I edited photo #8 and it looks a lot more pleasing when it's sharper.

Overall it looks like a good session. You picked some good scenes and angles. For an added bonus, try taking regular shots where she's not focused on the camera (crack a joke or something). Excluding photo #5, her smile looks fake =)
TheGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:25 PM   #5

TheGhost,

I do have to agree that some are blurry. But most posted here look like that due to the fact that i used a JPG compression of 70% in Picasa to resize and compress for the upload to this forum.

The original versions i have, some do have a slight blur to them. But for the most part, most a very sharp.

I am going to blame the software program, as i have 8 x 10's printed and most look very sharp. For those that do have a blur to them, i have applied an Unsharp Mask of 1.1 pixels @ 167% and they come out rather decent at the 8 x 10 size.

Next time i shoot portraits of her, i will use an aperture of 2 or 2.8

And in all honesty, what you call her "fake" smile, is really a real smile, as i am good friends with her, i was able to make her laugh. That's just the way she does smile :-)

Thank you for the comments

-Travis-

Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:33 PM   #6

The teeth have a slightly green tint to them on my monitor, too.

I like the poses, although I'd agree with the depth of field comments made above, I'd like to see it a bit deeper, too. Again, nice poses, and a pretty subject.
Guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:37 PM   #7

Okay, i will take a closer look, and recalibrate. I am using the Adobe gamma Loader, and the green slider, is a little off from center, maybe that is why they look white to me, is that my monitor is already compensating for it.

I will recalibrate, hopefully!

It took me a while to get it set up to match my printer, god it was a long process :-)

One variable i will take a look at, is that my custom color profile is embedded in all the images i upload to the forum.

-Travis-

Old Jun 30, 2005, 5:44 AM   #8

Tswen,

You have done an admirable job with this wonderful series of your good friend.

You have paid homage to your friendship.

I am certain, without a doubt, that you friend was very pleased with your efforts.

I commend your efforts to seek out the experts and to take the time to calibrate your monitor and printer. It says a lot about your desire and efforts to continually improve your photos and your artistry.

A final note...I "see" great kindness in the eyes of your friend. You have wonderfully captured this kindness. Your ability to capture this kindness is a reflection of the comfort and ease that your subject, your friendfelt with you.

If the gods be kind, perhaps you two could become a couple someday.:-)
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 8:42 AM   #9

I like #7 best with #6 a close second.

Very pretty subject, and very good effort!!

I'm sure she is pleased and thats what counts..:G
Meiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 10:42 AM   #10

nice photos, pretty girl. I like numbers 4 9 and 10
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote