Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jul 6, 2005, 8:53 AM   #1

Today Marie visited my studio.
She has never posed before so we did a small testsession of 60 minutes.
Curious to see what you guys think of her.
This is without makeupartist and a very short time.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:10 AM   #2

loving nr 4&5 (not all models can pull off a close up that close without a proper makeup artist -allthough i do presume its been shopped a little?-)

glad to see you took my advise in getting some fresh meat in front of the camera. i like her, she has an attitude. love to see more of her,hair is a bit too much of the same though. nice work as allways, i salute you!
photogeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 11:15 AM   #3

Believe it or not but no photoshop on this model
Old Jul 6, 2005, 1:12 PM   #4

then im really impressed :?

especially seeing it was her first time posing, short time, no makeup artist, just lovely. great talent. GIMME MORE! :-):lol::-)
photogeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 1:37 PM   #5

visit www.doorhof.nl/models for more (and sign my questbook )
Old Jul 6, 2005, 3:08 PM   #6

Really like 3 and 5,but wish here expression was different in 2.If she gave a slight smile would have been a bit better,but all your pics are really good.

Charlie
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 3:39 PM   #7

She will be back in the future more
This was her first time so I think she did wonderful, normally they are nervous as hell .
Old Jul 8, 2005, 3:34 PM   #8

Frank,

Can you describe the lighting setup you used in the second image? I think I see double catch lights there. Most of the images I shoot I tend to end up with double catch lights as well. I usually have a light 45 degrees of the side as my main and a fill directly beside the camera. I always end up with double catch lights. I have heard that it is not good to have them and wondered what your opinion of that is. Is there a way to eliminate them? The only way I could see would be to move the main almost to 90 degree which introduces side lighting. Thanks for the help I always enjoy looking at your work!
mlydy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 2:24 AM   #9

Ah,
The double catchlight question.

Some people have pointed out to me that it's not done.
Often the same people who think that working in PS is not done.

It's very simple.
According to the naysayers there is one sun in nature and that sun is one catchlight, so no more than one catchlight should be used.

Now my reply.
When shooting in nature I will have a lot more than one or two catchlights, for the simple reason there is always something that will reflect and create a catchlight, for example you shoot a model with the sun on her creating one catchlight, there is also a car/window or whatever in the neighbourhood this will create a second/third/fourth/fifth etc. catchlight.

Another example.
You shoot inside in an office building or store.
There are TL's there, mirrors etc. ALL creating some sort of reflection which in it's turn will create a catchlight.

So NOT DONE is NOT correct.

When shooting low key it's a different story, when given the ILLUSION you use ONE flash you should have ONE catchlight, given the ILLUSION you use TWO flashes you should have TWO catchlights.

In lameman terms when you want a picture that is confincing, you don't want a low key shot with 8 flashes creating catchlights.

So I never worry about 2 or more catchlights, although some people are really frustated by it
Look at the work of some of the great photographers, david Lachapelle etc. and you will also see there multiple catchlights.
It all depends on what you want to portrait.

How to solve it if you want to live by the rules (never knew there were rules in art by what the heck ).
You could use your keylight with a softbox creating the catchlight, the fill in flash could be a flash with an umbrella pointing down on the model from above thus creating not a second catchlight.

Greetings,
Frank
Old Jul 9, 2005, 8:16 AM   #10

Frank thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I appreciate that you took the time to give such a complete answer. I was never really bothered by the catchlights, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't completely off base in my thinking. :G

I can't wait to see what you have lined up for us next! :-)

Matt
mlydy1 is offline   Reply With Quote