Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Aug 12, 2005, 4:39 PM   #1

I am a complete newbie. Taken last Saturday with my S2. All areuncropped and unretouched (as of yet). Would love some refferals for learning composition....books, online, etc.

This is what I do, husband is in a band and am often assigned photo duties for his band and others.......

The outdoor, daytime ones seem easy - it is the club shots that are killing me. I am off to get a monopod to try for some different shotstonight.

DorsKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2005, 4:44 PM   #2

My (lame?) attempt at composing something a little differently.......my position isn't always optimal - these are heavier bands andI am kind of small and get smooshed alot if I don't position myself strategically.

Attached Images

Old Aug 12, 2005, 5:05 PM   #3

Don't be so hard on yourself! People don't realize how incredibly difficult it is to get good band shots! They never keep still and no matter where you move you are in the way! (try getting one of a drummer in action! HA!)
These turned out great so don't give up! Just don't get smooshed!
Rose
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 5:09 PM   #4

My husband is a drummer - sigh - it is the bane of my existance........

Thank you!
Old Aug 13, 2005, 12:18 AM   #5

You got a nice view of the guitar player's PRS guitar in the second shot. I think they're pretty decent shots, actually. I like them.
Guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 8:15 AM   #6

That's o.k. dorska...............my husband is a bass player, daughter...vocals and bari sax, and son a drummer. Look at this way.....we get into all the gigs for free!

Good luck with shots of your husband! Any that I have tried to take of my son didn't work out too well. No matter how I try, the cymbals or guitarist block the shot!

Rose
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 11:53 AM   #7

Set your camera's ISO to the highest number. If you have a DSLR, you can set it to ISO 1600 or 3200.

Use the slowest shutter speed you can handle, like about 1/60th of a second. If you have a lens that has antishake, you might be able to handhold down to 1/30th or even 1/15th a second.

You could also use a fill flash if they allow it, and you can get close to the stage.

Also, if you have a DSLR get a really fast lens, like an F1.8 and shoot wide open.

Focus as wide as possible and get as close to the action as you can get.

Photo software can also be used to boost brightness a little after the fact.

Just keep experimenting.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 8:08 AM   #8

These photo's were taken with a HP735 camera, sports mode (iso400) and without flash. I used the fence as support to get sharp pictures. As you can see there is some noise. Downscaling the photo's seems to enhance it, in the original photo's it is less. The band: QUEEN plus Paul Rodgers (Queen is known from songs like We Will Rock You & We Are The Champions, leadsinger Freddie Mercury died in 1991 and the band uses a guestsinger for this tour: Paul Rodgers.) Queen hits the USA in October for 2 concertsand plans are on the way for a tour in 2006 in the USA. These pictures were taken during the European tour this year.

Mind: I made 1000+ photo's at 4 concerts, 20-30% were blurred. You need a steady hand, support like a fence (so make sure you get 1st row at a gig) and the luck that your subject on stage does not move too much at the moment you take your picture The rest...pure luck Make sure you got enough memorycards and batteries! And make lots of photo's to enlarge the chance of shooting some gems!

Left: Paul Rodgers (Sang in : Free, Bad Company) and Brian May from QUEEN

Paul Rodgers

Brian May from Queen

Left: Paul Rodgers, right: Brian May

Brian May

Paul and Brian

Bit overexposed, but a nice composition: Brian May, Roger Taylor and on the screen Freddie Mercury who passed away in 1991.

Jamie Moses (played amongst others with Bob Geldof) and Brian May

Paul Rodgers

Paul & Brian

Paul & Brian

Roger Taylor

Paul & Brian

Queen 2005

The photo's above were made in Rotterdam, Netherlands.

The photo's below are from Dortmund, Germany.

Brian May

Paul & Brian

Band taking applause

Lightshow!

proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 9:56 AM   #9

Proton,

Those are great concert photos.

Unfortunately, your getting more noise at ISO400 than my Canon20D at ISO 3200!

Maybe switch over to a Canon DSLR.

Your shots are so pro you really should be using the best equipment possible (I mean it as a compliment).

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 11:24 AM   #10

I wish I could!! Security at large concerts like these is tight and lucky enough for us fans, the band allowed camera's in, but only compact models of 3 megapixel max.!
Unless you smuggled your 4mp or 5mp camera into the hall without beging spotted.
I've seen someone with an DSLR being warned not to use it!

I'm going to buy the 9mp Fuji S9000 , that will be a HUGE improvement, but I can't take it to concerts like these....:sad:

proton is offline   Reply With Quote