Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Aug 31, 2005, 3:49 PM   #1

Here is a photo of my friend's daughter. She was just sitting there and I snapped away. What do you think for a snapshot? What could I have done to improve this shot? Any comments appreciated,thanks.

Cheers, jules
Attached Images

lil_pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2005, 10:00 AM   #2

Perhaps I should have put this in a different forum? 128 views and not one comment,wow!

Cheers, Jules.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:38 AM   #3

i think this has some great potential. the composition is wonderful. it just seems that this is somewhere between a candid and a portrait. there is a stiffness in her pose, maybe next time, unless you catch her totally off guard, you can pose her a little or make her laugh or something to get a more relaxed pose. very good effort though!
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 1:22 PM   #4

lil_pixie wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps I should have put this in a different forum? 128 views and not one comment,wow!

Cheers, Jules.
Hi lil-pxie. When there are no comments after so much views you should start thinking if this picture has really something to tell the people or not. I agree with julies that the composition is wonderful but the girl is looking directly to the photographer and that makes the picture static.

But I believe that this is a great picture to show the relatives and family.

jp80 www.metlive.szm.com/nature.htm

jp80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 7:22 PM   #5

If you are looking for suggestions to improve photography skills and techniques, the Critiques and Techniques forum is where you need to be posting. There have been some pretty hard feelings in the past due to unsolicited commentary, and that is why that forum was created. (I don't think it stopped the problems, but it moved them).

Nice shot, by the way.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 9:57 PM   #6

Nice keepsake, but artistic appeal is missing for starters...looks like a cloudy day, available light might not have given the color saturation to add more zest. Whatever magic you have available in your camera, you weren't using it all in this shot. Contrast is too flat to push this to the remakable category. The young girl seems timid, and a bit self conscious. That can be a plus in many cases but here, from that distance, it's not a bonus. I'd experiment with cropping closer to head and shoulders, upping the contrast, maybe even doing that A N D switching this to black and white. Pop this into your photo editor and see what you can do. Then repost, and let's see if some more character comes out of hiding, if you are so inclined. Just a few suggestions, and one last remark...(IMHO) looking at all the elements in this photo, it has all the rightingrediants, just needs the recipe reworked. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 6:50 AM   #7
rvs

lovely!

rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 8:03 AM   #8

Hi lil pixie,

You have captured a great moment

Attached below is a "tweak" of your photo. As the beholder, you can decide if you like it better

Basically, I upped the contrast and saturation a bit, cropped to put your subject a lil off center.

With the house in background reduced to a minor influence, photo seems to convey that your subject just left the house to go climb a tree

(Note: Photo does, of course, lose something when I resized to fit an attachment)

Keep on shootin', lil pixie!
Attached Images

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 7:15 AM   #9

I think the legs are distracting from the rest of her. They're brighter than her face, and distract the eye. A crop from above the knees would probably help a little. Cheers...........thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 11:21 AM   #10

Thanks for all the great advice everyone. She does look a little awkward staring right at the camera yes. Doesn't make for a very natural pose,lol. I cropped this one and upped the saturation just a tad. Any better ya think?

Jules.
Attached Images