Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Sep 12, 2005, 3:41 AM   #1

In South Africa we have "shabeens". Basically they are houses which have licences to sell alcohol and generally they stay open for 24hours. Alot of them double up illegally as brothels and drug trafficking homes.

I drove past one on the way to work and noticed these two children sitting in front of one. I opened my car window, fired off two shots and sped off as the shabeen owner came chasing after me.

Unfortunately this was taken in peak daylight and the contrast had to be taken right down to look decent.

Does this work as a PJ photo?
Attached Images

JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2005, 7:39 AM   #2

what strikes me most about this photo is that the children have no shoes but seem to be holding a purse and a cellphone or video game or something. i definitely think this tells a story. given that this was taken in a hurry, you did a pretty good job. if you had the opportunity to revisit this, the crop is a little awkward for me. i feel like i want to see either more of the sign or less, with more focus on the kids (it seems a little tight on the boy's elbow too). it is a very interesting image, very photojournalistic.
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 7:43 AM   #3

Thanks for the comments Julie. It was quite difficult to decide whether to zoom in on just the children or to try get the sign in which indicates they are outside a Shabeen(btw R is the currency equivilent of $)
Old Sep 12, 2005, 9:25 AM   #4

This is an excellent Human interest shot and me thinks it qualifies quite well for a PJ shot.

Until I read you last line I thought to myself how you would risk to stop a take such a shot. It's a beautiful shot and BW is most appropriate. I agree some cropping would help.

Thank you for sharing this one with us.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 8:22 PM   #5
AAT

Its a good shot, I like the way it is, the objects being held, the clothing, the expressions on the brightly sunlit faces, to the graffiti on the sign, the trash in the road. Why would you be chased for a photo?

AAT
AAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 12:28 AM   #6

Thanks for the comments everyone.

To answer your question AAT, in South Africa it is illegal to have children on the premises of a place that sells alcohol. Another reason could be if they were doing some shady business, they may have suspected me of investigating.
Old Sep 18, 2005, 9:18 AM   #7

Hi John - Ithink you caught a moment there that could never be re-captured, even if posed, it certainly does tell a story, and I think it really works, VERY GOOD. The young girl with a handbag, the young chap with a cell, really just perfect !!
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 1:14 AM   #8

Thanks for the compliment Jake. I would love to go back to the area and take some more pics, but I'm not sure if its worth the rist