Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Sep 23, 2005, 8:30 PM   #1

I have to go and shoot some photos of my nieces dressed in green and red cocktail dresses today, some will be inside, not my choice and others outside in natural light. Does anyone have any Ideas on how to set them up in natural poses (they are 15 and 18 year olds) and what sort of setting would be good Idea. HELP:!:
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2005, 1:33 AM   #2

I'm waaay too late, but...natural in the USA (or even Alabama for that matter ) isn't natural for your area. You must decide on allowing them fall into their own "natural" poses, or force them into poses that you imagine look natural.

Even though I do a lot of "studio-type" portraits, 98% of the ones that are good are made after the "awkward" 1st, 3/4 phase of the shoot, or when the model(s) become themselves. Your mileage may vary, but depending on the models abilities...you may just be taking snapshots, or you could be making images with emotional impact.

(Jess being an exception, not a rule.)
Old Sep 24, 2005, 1:59 AM   #3

When inside be carefull with flash use.
Often the temperature of your flash output is different than the light of the scene meaning you won't get a good colorbalance later UNLESS you blast the flash full on the models, but when combining the natural light and the flash don't or use omnibounce gold for tungsten and omnibounce green for fluoresent light.

Poses are alway's difficult don't let them pose let them relax, turn their body from the camera in a 45 degree angle and let them pose the breast back to the camer (giving a turn in the upper part) this is very flattering.

Hope this was in time
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 2:07 AM   #4

Go get'em Julie!! Best of luck...No worries...you and that rebel will post some spectacular shots I'm sure. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 5:24 AM   #5

thanks, guys, I ended up doing these shots this afternoon. Had problems from the get go with inside lighting and flash, outside had problems with light, too harsh, too much shadows and very little shade to work with. I got some fairly casual shots instead of posed and will post a few when I get back to my own computer (Im using a friends computer and all my photos were downloaded to my own). I find this sort of photography the hardest. The biggest problem I had was getting shots where the girls boobs were not falling out of their dresses:lol:
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 6:06 AM   #6

that's not a problem :-)
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 1:28 PM   #7

aladyforty:

Hi:

I think your shots are pretty good but alittle to much sunlight but i'm no expert. They are very photogenic, would love to see a few inside pictures of the girls at whatever function they were going to or we at. Curious because i have a wedding to go to soon and my niece will be dressed up and my brother wants me to take some of her and her brother all dressed up and would love to see how yours came out so i have a baseline to shoot for. Thanks John p.s. i have the canon 20d and a canon 420 speedflash.

jcarboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 3:53 AM   #8

jcarboski wrote:
Quote:
I think your shots are pretty good but alittle to much sunlight but i'm no expert. ...

err, am I missing something? I see no photos... Am I being dumb or crazy?

2 minutes later edit: "Dumb" it is, just saw the other thread.
Vlad the Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 1:24 PM   #9

i guess its dumb and crazy cuz im not seeing the thread!
help

r00022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 9:22 AM   #10

r00022 wrote:
Quote:
i guess its dumb and crazy cuz im not seeing the thread!
help

Look for "Jessica and Rebecca"
Vlad the Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote