Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Oct 9, 2005, 9:13 PM   #1

Hey all...I did post this pic in the critique section, but am looking for feedback andthought it would fit here as well.

Iamhoping to get into doing pet portraits for profit in the future, and recently got aNikon D50 with this thought in mind. (Iam still VERY new to it.) I would love some feedback (esp. technically) on what Ican do to improve! Right now I'm admittedly very "point and shoot" about it, so I would really like some SPECIFICS, on different lighting, techniques, and settings especially, that would benefit my shots. (FYI, I do not have any "extras" for my camera at the moment-lenses, flashes, etc. But I am open to suggestion here as well-for any "essential extras" you all think I should look into!) :-)

Itookthis pic this weekend at a Greyhound event in Dewey Beach, DE. I had some people ask me to take some shots with them and their dogs.It had rained all weekend, and this was the "nicest" day...still very grey, and my beach portraits came out very "blah". (Perhaps partially b/c the sky is nearly the same color as the water?) This is the original, unedited version (aside from being scaled down in sizefrom the original larger file).

Weather aside...how could I have made the shot better? (Camera settings, etc.)

Or alternately, how can I adjust it digitally so that it doesn't look so... dark and blah? Please comment! Again, specific technical advice much appreciated! :-)

Thanks in advance-I'm looking forward to learning and improving!:|
Attached Images

Murmurmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2005, 9:14 PM   #2

Same pic, slightly sharpened, and "auto level" adjusted. Better, or no?
Attached Images

Old Oct 11, 2005, 3:13 PM   #3

Hello,

what a pity that man on the right is looking into the camera and that´s a disturbing moment because the viewer of the photo cannot concentrate him/herself on the dogs.

That´s my opinion.

jp80 www.metlive.szm.com/nature.htm

jp80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 6:42 PM   #4

Here isa few tweaks I didto the second pic.

1. Cropped tighter.

2. Adjusted levels to brighten.

3.Added more contrast.

4. Increased color saturation.

And here's the result. Hope you like.

Gipper
Attached Images

gipper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:27 PM   #5

Hey all...thanks so much for the input! After posting, I also did many of the things suggested above (general tighter crops, sharpened,adjusted levels, saturation, etc.) which did help a bit, same as others posted above.

Also good point about the man on right looking into the camera, of course I do like that the man on left is focused onhis dog. I admit... I'm an animal person, I like taking their pics, and oddly enough seem to have muchbetter luck with them than I do with humans! LOL... I guess becauseanimals aremuch more often "natural", unlike the posing humans!!

But, I guess the main thing is just for me to play around with my camera and get a better feel with it... :-) This was literally my first real chance outside to take some pics.

Looking forward to taking lots more, and thanks again for the feedback-it definitely helps!!

-mel-