Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Oct 25, 2005, 1:21 PM   #1
Administrator

Snapshot using Built In Flash inside of Local Tavern (I don't know the girl).
Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D
Tamron 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5

1/80 second, f/3.5, ISO 800, 40mm (max zoom, wide open aperture)

Converted from raw to .ppm using dcraw.c version 7.79 with -w option for camera's white balance Cropped, Digital Camera Noise Reduced, and USM Sharpened with defaults using Paint Shop Pro X Downsized to 640 pixels width using B-Spline option in Irfanview, very lightly sharpened and saved to .jpg for web viewing.

It's just a quick snapshot while I was stopping in a local Tavern. But, I thought the exposure and background lighting were interesting on this one, even though I was using the built in flash.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2005, 2:44 PM   #2

JimC wrote:
Quote:
for camera's shite balance
Freudian slip Jim, or a typo :G.

Found something to dislike about your new camera ??
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 6:03 PM   #3
Administrator

Stevekin wrote:
Quote:
JimC wrote:
Quote:
for camera's shite balance
Freudian slip Jim, or a typo :G.

Found something to dislike about your new camera ??

LOL -- OK - I corrected the typo.

WB isactuallyvery good. But, this one wasa pretty good crop (1879 x 1252 pixels out of 3016 x 2008 before downsizing ), and there were brightbeer signs on the wall, and even a pool table in the background before the crop. So, lighting was very interesting before the crop. Hence the odd exposure with the flash (not tomention the shadows cast by the lens barrel). :-)

I liked the interesting "red on red" look, fading into shadows at the bottom. So, I decided not to change it any from defaults (even though it's underexposeddue to metering for the bright lights I cropped out, and contrast looks low). Some of that is because David Coffin (author of dcraw.c) doesn'ttry to enhance those things during the raw conversion unless you vary it from the defaults, and his conversion tends to protect the highlights (thatI croppedout).

A little larger version (downsized from 1879 x 1252 after the crop, to 1536 x 1024 with Irfanview). I wanted to keep the exposure and contrast low like this. I like it anyway. :-)

http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/imag...7/original.jpg

Old Oct 25, 2005, 8:44 PM   #4
Administrator

Ok. Here's something different from earlier this evening if you don't share my like for that look. LOL

On camera flash in a different tavern (sorry about the wall in the background and flash reflections). ;-)

Minolta 28mm f/2 at f/4, ISO 400, 1/60 Second with flash Converted from raw to .ppm with dcraw.c, then enhanced quickly using "smart photo fix" in PSP X. Cropped to 1306 x 1960, then downsized with Irfanview to 640 x 960 using B-Spline and saved to jpeg.

Attached Images

Old Oct 26, 2005, 1:28 AM   #5

Hi, JimC! I'm a beginner, so I don't think I can judje your pictures. I just say that I like #2 a lot. Did you apply any sharpening , or is it just 5D w/28mm f2?
And one more question: I'm also using Irfanview for downsizing, so could you please explain the difference between B-Spline and, let's say, Hermite or some other from that list? I'm using Lanczos (just because it was set by default, and I think the slower- the better quality:?) But I have no idea what this is!

Thanks a lot and please post more pics with detailed descriptions like these here.

P.S. I use 20D now, but I have special feelings to Minolta, because it was my 1st digital cam.( A-1 ) Still have it and shooting time to time. Great camera!:|
AK-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 7:59 AM   #6
Administrator

AK-66 wrote:
Quote:
Hi, JimC! I'm a beginner, so I don't think I can judje your pictures. I just say that I like #2 a lot. Did you apply any sharpening , or is it just 5D w/28mm f2?
Well, these tavern shots are tough. The second one is a pretty good crop, too (there were lit bottle coolers, etc. behind them as they were sitting on bar stools at the bar). LOL

The Minolta 28mm f/2 is a very good lens, and I had it stopped down two stops from wide opento f/4.

Some of it is also the newer demosaic algorithms David Coffin is using in dcraw.c. I compiled the latest version yesterday for converting the photos from rawon Windows XP.

Beginning not long ago (within the past couple of months) with version 7.60, David started using AHD (Adaptive Homogeniety Directed) for the interpolation algorithms.

A lot of the credit also goes to Paul J. Lee, whocollaborated with Hirakawa Keigo (the original co-author of AHD algorithm as part of his Ph.D thesis).

Once Paul fully understood the algorithm,he modifieddcraw.c to use it and gave a prototypeto Dave. After some comparison studies like this one,Dave was convinced that AHDwas superior to VNG and other demosaicing algorithm.

http://www.ece.gatech.edu/research/labs/MCCL/pubs/dwnlds/bahadir05.pdf

Dave converted and optimized the prototype created by Paul J. Lee, integrating it into dcraw.c versions 7.60 and later (he's continuing to refine it).

Paul is now working on implementing "Bilateral filtering in CIELAB space" within dcraw.c, which will substantially suppress color noises (high ISO noise) with preserving edges. So, stay tuned.;-)

DavidCoffin added the KM 5D to dcraw.c before the camera was even shipping, using some test .mrw files from a reviewer in Thailand that had borrowed a camera from KM. This reviewer was kind enough to send me the files, including shots of a Macbeth Color chartthat I passed on to Dave, so he could make sure the "as shot" white balance was properly supported.

As for sharpening, that second photoone was only using some kind of "focus" slider in PSP X's "smart photo fix" (very conservative settings). No extra USM or other sharpening. It wasrelativelysharp looking straight from the raw conversion.

Old Oct 26, 2005, 9:00 PM   #7

Thanks, JimC.

Very strange, when I tried to "quote'', much more text came up in the box. I wasn't able to see it in the original post.
Honestly, I didn't understand much from the link. This is too ''rocket science" for me yet...:?
AK-66 is offline   Reply With Quote