Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

View Poll Results: Should people comment on photos posted?
Yes 22 78.57%
No 0 0%
Only in the Critiques and Techniques section 6 21.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2005, 9:42 PM   #1

Your seeing more critiques from users in all the sections because thats the point of sharing your photos. Everyone posts photos on these forums to get a response from others. If they didnt get any responses from others there would be no point to post your photos here at all. If people stop posting comments on ALL the photos in the Post Your Photos section, people will just stop posting. The Critiques and Techniques sections is pointless. The fact of the matter is, if people just wanted to post photos for people to see and not comment on, they would make a web album, or website. This is a public meeting place for open discussion. That the definition of a forum, and thats how it should stay.
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2005, 3:23 AM   #2

I'm not really going to throw a vote in here, because although your point is recognized, I think, on an informal basis, we all do that, only outside of the critiques posts, we try not to make the critique the issue, and offer up more comment and compliment, as the point of our recognition. So, ya, recognition is one thing, response is welcome too, and wanted, but in many cases critique outside of the critique forum (and indeed sometimes even in it!) can lead to wandering off topic, and into heated debate. Some of it unpleasant. You wouldn't think people a zillion miles apart who don't even know each other could give a **** about debating hotly over nothing, but it does happen...:roll: Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 11:01 AM   #3

Did I say anything about no responses or comments on the photos?
Old Nov 13, 2005, 3:32 PM   #4
Super Moderator

may i ask what the motivation behind this thread was? are you not happy with how things are run?

anyways, i see all forumns as a place to comment and give suggestions on photos..

in critiques and techniques the tone is a little more matter of fact.. so basically there, you post your photo and it gets fed to the lions.. anything goes, no need to sugar-coat, just give your critiques with the intent to teach/learn something..

it the other forums.. it varies from forum to forum.. so in people and landscape, critiques are generally welcomed, but are usually a little more tactfully done.. so you give a compliment and then say, it could be improved by x or y.. in others such as family members and pets, basically you post a picture and ppl tell you how cute and how nice of photo it is..

it works, no need to change anything..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 3:37 PM   #5

My point is, does it really matter at all if someone has something negative to say about a photo? Isn't that the whole point of a forum, to find out what other people think about something? I think it is ridiculous to limit comments to only positive ones in all the sections except the Critiques and Techniques section.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 3:43 PM   #6

Hards80 must have posted just before I did. I completely agree with him. And maybe I did go a little overboard with this thread.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 6:46 PM   #7
Super Moderator

its cool man.. we all may question things from time to time :-)
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 8:07 PM   #8

I havebeen following some of the forums for a short time posted only a few times. I don't think there is much danger of turning away people by allowing critiques in most or all forums. While we newbies can be intimidated by the quality that many of the members post, it is gratifying that people who are quite advanced take the time to examine our pictures, not just glance at them.

If someone is not prepared to grow and developtheir techniques, they will disappear from any forum, evenafteronly receivingcompliments. If people who know what they are doing are discouraged from making constructive comments, they will stop looking. Their time is better spent examining the work of those they wish to emulate or surpass, not in trying to elevate the levels of the rest of us.

When someone who produces great pictures takes the time, not only to comment on one of my shots, but makes the effort to tweak it and repost, that is a greater compliment than "nice shot". Similarly, when you open yourself to potential criticism/critique and still recieve a compliment, it means something.

I like the idea that these forums provide the opportunity elevate the art and enjoyment for many. I love the fact that they provide the opportunity for many to teach.

Kevin
klfatcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 1:19 AM   #9

Thanks for your well thought-out response klaftcg!

While my original post was made regarding critiques of photos in all of the forums, the "Critiques & Techniques" forum resulted from many members finding themselves being critiqued on images they had just posted to share with others.

While all comments are good (whether positive or negative), all of the forums had seemed to be drifting into a kind of "take-your-best-shot-at-critiqueing-each-image" mode rather than a sharing, learning & helpful trend.

My goal was to bring attention to it (& hopefully) help everyone get the most from their experience here.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 1:32 AM   #10

Kevin, you must be a wordsmith or something. I wish I could write that well.