Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jan 28, 2006, 5:43 AM   #21

and frank you shouldnt be worried about his pro opinion looks like he doesnt understand how to use his own cam yet. not turing to M mode.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=37
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 8:36 AM   #22

Ken, GREAT bit of research you did! I think your posted link about Hooligan's pro skills hit the nail right on the head (wonder if hooligan ... ala "Arthur" or "Art" will reply to this now...

Just in case Arthur decides to edit out his comments on that posted thread, here is what he wrote:

----------------------

"Dear people. I have been going nuts trying to understand why my digital rebel will not let me set a manual exposure on my camera.

You can ether set the F-stop in which case the camearas spot meter will adjust the SHUTTER speed for you, or you can set the SHUTTER speed manually and the camera will then adjust the F-Stop to set the correct exposure value. What the [email protected]%K, i come from an old manual camera where i was able to control both the shutter speed and the aperature manually. Can you guys tell me if this is normal on the Canon Digital Rebel. And are will other more expensive cameras give me the ability to set every thing manyally ie. the 10D, or the D1. PLEEEEAZ help, i've been eternaly frustrated with this issue, Thanks much in advance

Arthur" (that is hooligan)

------------------------

NHL gave him some help (e.g. read page 72 of your manual, understand exposure adjustment...) to which Hooligan replied:

------------------------

Thank you very much for the advice. I found the instructions on page 72 as you suggested :-). You can tell i hate reading the manual. For situations where you dont have time to set the exposure manually, when you just have to turn and shoot, what is the best mode to shoot....?

much obliged

Art

----------------------------

Therefore obviously Arthur / hooligan is a beginner and maybe was having a bad day or bad hair day or something so he decided to vent off some steam in the direction of this thread and to Frank's photos. Having said (quoted) that I agree with Frank that we need to respect each other. So I hope in time Hooligan come to appreciate the work Frank does is NOT luck and maybe Hooligan will post his own photos. I'm not writing this to have a go at Hooligan, or defending Frank. Just trying to be civil. And I'm glad Frank didn't react back badly (well done!)

Frank I like many of your posted people photos though some are a little too "hot" for my tastes. :-) About this series, well, maybe for me (just a personal opinion) they seem a tad over-saturated, but anyway I can't achieve results like yours! Frank's photographic work is a matter of having good equipment andgood ideas and able to use both together very well!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 8:50 AM   #23

Another quick addition...

I read some of Hooligan's other posts, and I was glad to see he did try to give some positive constructive criticisms in the few other posts he had had input in since he joined (Mar 2004). Well done Arthur... see you can be positive / helpful if you try... I just don't understand why you hacked those photos and Frank's work generally in this thread....

Arthur's first post revealed he didn't know much about focus on his Digital Rebel. Well I hope he's had some practise since then.... and maybe we'll see some posts of his sometime....
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 10:38 PM   #24

I would rather say it is more of a combination of factors: good equipment, responsive subjects, good camera man and some stroke of luck. :G Regards.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 7:51 AM   #25

I like the first and third, not over keen on the second shot. Nice shots though

As for what Hooligan was saying, how can you compare the kind of glamor photography that Frank does to that of a portrait style like yousuf karsh's? You may as well be comparing glamor to wildlife shots:roll: Perhaps if Hooligan would post his work we may be able to see what on earth he is talking about.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote