Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jan 28, 2006, 6:29 PM   #1

as one looks wistfully back, the other looks eagerly forward...

Attached Images

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2006, 8:52 PM   #2

Very nicely put! Oh to be young, I'm in the wistfully looking back age group.

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 9:47 PM   #3

you an' me both, Bob... youth is wasted on the young!
Old Jan 30, 2006, 5:22 PM   #4

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
... youth is wasted on the young!
Ain't T H A T the truth....! No more leaping buildings (tall...buildings) in a single bound...but on the other hand...with a few decades under the old belt, not having to be up and going to werk every day at the crack fighting for my life in traffick at 5:30 AM, and snoring peacefully into my pillow as many of my former rat race companions curse and slide around in blizzards here in the frozen north...while going to "the office" kinda evens it up a bit! Heh heh...too bad we couldn't have the B E S T of both worlds. (Too soon old and too late smart me grannie used t'say!:lol Very nice pic, and right on the money...looking at a lovely post like this makes me smile and relish retirement...sigh...

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 11:15 PM   #5

Ken, Lord knows i'll be relishing retirement too, when my time comes... i got a few years left in the ratraceyet thought. but i can safely say, when i do trade my security badge for the blissful relaxation of perpetual weekends, i will be spending a lot more time out and about with whatever technological marvel the digital imaging world has persuaded me to buy... unless i'm still using my trust ol' FZ20!
Old Feb 1, 2006, 1:59 PM   #6

I plan to trade in my "work desk" for blissful relaxation in about 3 months. I think 41 years of work is plenty.

BTW, Squirrel 033: I notice that you are near Seattle. My older son has lived in Olympia since 1995 - finished college at Evergreen State. You guys have had a very rainy winter season!

frontier02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 9:49 PM   #7

Lovely post. regards.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 1:24 AM   #8

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
Ken, Lord knows i'll be relishing retirement too, when my time comes... i got a few years left in the ratraceyet thought. but i can safely say, when i do trade my security badge for the blissful relaxation of perpetual weekends, i will be spending a lot more time out and about with whatever technological marvel the digital imaging world has persuaded me to buy... unless i'm still using my trust ol' FZ20!
The odd thing is, it took about two years to let go of the feeling I was just on an extended vacation, and was going back to work soon. Ugh! I guess even after you swing down from the saddle it takes awile to quit walking bowlegged! I was (still am) amazed at the number of folks who asked if I was going back to work. My wife being the worst culprit!:lolwhy would you want to stick a bean up your nose T W I C E ? ) These days, a healthy critter ought to take the opportunity if it's there, and do the kick back, andrelax routine...unless "the job" is the job of your dreams and how you enjoy yourself. I much prefer being retired. I still work, as in I do more cooking, grocery shopping, and household chores, because wifey still works, and this is still a partnership. Nothing gets done by itself. But inner peace, less stress, more time...can only do you good, and you'll definately scratch the itch to get out and work your camera! Best regards, you and Frontier are on the verge of happy trails...

KennethD
Old Feb 2, 2006, 11:23 PM   #9

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
The odd thing is, it took about two years to let go of the feeling I was just on an extended vacation, and was going back to work soon. Ugh! I guess even after you swing down from the saddle it takes awile to quit walking bowlegged! I was (still am) amazed at the number of folks who asked if I was going back to work. My wife being the worst culprit!:lol: (why would you want to stick a bean up your nose T W I C E ? ) These days, a healthy critter ought to take the opportunity if it's there, and do the kick back, andrelax routine...unless "the job" is the job of your dreams and how you enjoy yourself. I much prefer being retired. I still work, as in I do more cooking, grocery shopping, and household chores, because wifey still works, and this is still a partnership. Nothing gets done by itself. But inner peace, less stress, more time...can only do you good, and you'll definately scratch the itch to get out and work your camera! Best regards, you and Frontier are on the verge of happy trails...

KennethD
as a single parent with both my kids at home (ages 16 and 23), i have my hands full... you know the drill, i'm sure... work the usual day, come home, clean up the house, fix dinner, do the shopping, etc., etc. i will be more than ready to take that "extended vacation" when the day comes! i'm already thinking about where i'll spend my time, and i won't be swingin' down from the saddle for 10 years yet!! :sad: but when i do, i have got some serious relaxin' to do... and more than a little clickin' of shutters!:G

Old Feb 3, 2006, 9:07 AM   #10

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
The odd thing is, it took about two years to let go of the feeling I was just on an extended vacation, and was going back to work soon. Ugh! I guess even after you swing down from the saddle it takes awile to quit walking bowlegged! I was (still am) amazed at the number of folks who asked if I was going back to work. My wife being the worst culprit!:lol: (why would you want to stick a bean up your nose T W I C E ? ) These days, a healthy critter ought to take the opportunity if it's there, and do the kick back, andrelax routine...unless "the job" is the job of your dreams and how you enjoy yourself. I much prefer being retired. I still work, as in I do more cooking, grocery shopping, and household chores, because wifey still works, and this is still a partnership. Nothing gets done by itself. But inner peace, less stress, more time...can only do you good, and you'll definately scratch the itch to get out and work your camera! Best regards, you and Frontier are on the verge of happy trails...

KennethD
as a single parent with both my kids at home (ages 16 and 23), i have my hands full... you know the drill, i'm sure... work the usual day, come home, clean up the house, fix dinner, do the shopping, etc., etc. i will be more than ready to take that "extended vacation" when the day comes! i'm already thinking about where i'll spend my time, and i won't be swingin' down from the saddle for 10 years yet!! :sad: but when i do, i have got some serious relaxin' to do... and more than a little clickin' of shutters!:G

I must say...after reading your last post, it resonates even more clearly. Yep, I D O know the drill, for S U R E . I look back and wonder how we made it while our young lad was growing up, with both of us working. Now, thank God I'm retired. I do get more sleep, and life is far less hectic...but next year our son will be in university, which in this day and age means we're still not off the hook. As he transitions to the next level, that's when I anticipate increasing my radius of exploration so to speak. I extend to you congratulations for coping and thriving as a single parent. Hopefully by now there's a working routine established to share household operations. There are advantages and disadvantages for me having become a parent as I hit forty. Luckily I've always been physically fit and athleticically inclined.Both a blessing and a curse. I would otherwise be doomed. my young lad who grows stronger physically by the day, has always felt free to tackle me and engage in hand to hand combat, (in fun)ambushing me and pitting his best efforts against the old man whenever the fancy struck. Mayhem is an apt description when these high spirited rituals manifest. He's just getting too big to fend off without danger of wrecking the house. His mother and the dog join in to referee and bring us to our senses, and as a result we now confine the wrestling and combatives to the garage. The boy has not yet acknowledged that a 59 yr old no matter what his background will eventually be reduced to canon fodder as the scales tip and the physical balance reverses. It's still fun but next month he starts training in a boxing gym. I'm looking forward to hanging up the gloves and passing the physical aspects on to more youthful participants. Your routines may be different, but you are still the director in charge of overseeing your youngsters choices are good ones. The providing of food, shelter and neccesities are only the tip of the iceberg. Parent, friend, councillor...lines of distinction blur, boundaries must be set and enforced all the while maintaining respectful and nuturing relations. The buddy routine cannot interfere with the parent responsiblity and can create clashing of ideals, when one role gets confused with the other by your children. These circumstances make you wonder if there will ever be a "retirement" as graceful withdrawal from the workforce does not excuse family roles as you will always be the head of the clan, no matter how completley you extricate yourself from whatever your working career was. (Hope you're still awake) But, my hat is off to you, and all parents who find themselves nearing the finish line. The trick is to cross it in good health, family intact, and plan B ready to launch. Good luck, perservere. Best regards,

Kenneth(the long winded)D
Got so carried away, I forgot to ask my original question...what is the relationship between these ladies? They look very similair, surely there's a family connection...