Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Feb 6, 2006, 3:48 PM   #1

Thisis the second part of the one session. Here you can see the photos of Mima.

I don't want to comment this session before I see your replies.

So..... yr comments, suggestions or critiques are appriciated.

Thanks

Zak

Attached Images

ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2006, 3:52 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old Feb 6, 2006, 3:53 PM   #3

Attached Images

Old Feb 6, 2006, 3:55 PM   #4

Attached Images

Old Feb 6, 2006, 3:57 PM   #5

Attached Images

Old Feb 6, 2006, 4:40 PM   #6

Zak,

#2 looks really good. The shadow is a little distracting but it somewhat adds to the shot.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 5:01 PM   #7

Good work, lots of appeal.

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 10:13 PM   #8

Wow, Zak... I am just a beginner myself and no expert, and I haven't been posting here all that long, but I've seen aLOT of improvement in your pics in just a few months! I don't post often in the People forum, but I dobrowse the pics & I can really see theeffort you have been putting into learning & progressing in your techniques.

I like #2 & #3 best in this series. I think the lighting & tonesare very nice. The lighting in #3 is especially flatteringto her. Well done! :-)

As forsome suggestions(and again, I'm no expert!)...In the first pic, I think the lighting on the right side of her face (left side of pic) is a bit harsh and bright. The wind in that pic is also a bit much for my taste. Fourth one I'm not a big fan of the hair over her face that much, and the lighting isn't as soft & flattering on her face. Last pose is fun, but I would like to see the hand less blurred, and not see the bright spot on the right.

But anyway...like I said, inallthe pictures I really do see a lot of improvement! Keep up the good work!

-mel-
Murmurmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 9:30 AM   #9

Thanks for reply, really

These session was with various light set up and had some problems like on #1 where I had too much post proccessing and still not so satisfied.

I like #2 the most...I had 2 min to prepare like this....

Like strong colors on #3.

But in global all the photos are a little soft for my taste and the reason is 1/2s shutter speed.

Always have this problem when shooting on black background.

Zak

Old Feb 8, 2006, 3:01 AM   #10

Adding contrast will not help at all you should know that hooligan with all your experience :blah:

The problem is the lighting itself and the lack of makeup.

When lighting for digital try not to blow out the highlights, on several occasions you can see the white areas being a bit blown out.
When using broad lighting the pictures can become a bit flat looking and it's difficult or imposible to correct this later on.

The start THE LIGHT has to be perfect (or as good as) to start with.

When using dark backgrounds try to position your keylight slightly to one side of the model and use a reflector to fill in the shadow parts of the shot.
Keep you model on a fair distance from the background to prevent spill on the black.

Light to the left to be sure, the problem with the consumer camera's is that they don't show a good histogram, they show a composite histogram so while it looks like you are lighting correct you could be blowing out the red channel. When I have to use the histogram I always expose 1/3 stop to the left.
Normally I will use a Sekonic L358 to get the exact exposure from a scene.

Also buy some powder for your models, the skin really needs this under flash light, powder the face and other body parts that are visable and check that there are no shining places anymore.

Start out simple, one flash with one reflector nothing more, master this and than move on by adding for example a hairlight or rimlights.
Always start out in the beginning with taking step photography, one shot only with the mainlight, one shot with main + reflector, one shot adding the hairlight etc. this way you can see what happens.

When you don't have alot of space between the model and the background, place the flash closer to the model, the difference between your model and the background should be at least 4x the distance between the model and the flash to get a good black background, with less it can be done but not with softsources.

also take care on placing the lights. Look at the picture where the model is sitting in jeans (I believe #2) you can see that the light was placed to low, meaning blowing out the jeans even before reaching the face.

Also don't be afraid for shadows, when working with darkbackgrounds it's often nice to use light from one side leaving the other side darker.

Have fun.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote