Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Feb 7, 2006, 5:02 AM   #1

Hi folks photos taken with 350d and the Photoshopped a touch or two.

What do you think? I welcome any feedback

stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2006, 7:21 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I am not an expert on portraiture, but the first one is taken with too short a lens making a very distorted image extending the nose. Go for a 70mm + lens to get a more natural shot.

The crop is interesting in and think I like it, but the jury is still out. The eyes are nice and sharp in the second one.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 7:45 AM   #3

I agree on the lens choice.
On a 1.6 crop camera a 90mm is the best choice allround for portraits, or if you know what you are doing (not meant in a negative way) a 50mm can be wonderful.

Choose the angle very carefull because distortions are arround every corner .

I like the look of the second one.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 8:06 AM   #4

Thanks guys, these were amongst the first shots taken with a new CANON 50MM F1.8 LENS. and also may of got in a bit close!? as there is virtually no cropping from those shots.

Mark you right it does make her nose look big!

hence why on the second shot I used PS to reduce it a little.

frank any tips for that lens? Id also be interested what you think to the PS work on the second. most work was on the eyes, nose and skin, may have the original around here somewhere.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 11:05 PM   #5

Of course, it really comes down to personal taste. I really like the first one for the reasons stated for it being wrong. The model has a gorgeous 'cheeky' expression that I can't stop smiling at and I love how the distortion points to the eyes/nose area. It's almost like a charicature of herself.

Of course, this may also explain why I will never become a professional photographer like Frank or others in this forum:sad:. But the photo speaks to me so I like it. I think the model has a big heart and it shows.

Good job.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 1:50 AM   #6

Never thought I would post this, but Hooligan you are just plain rude.

I have alot of experience with portrait photography and the comments I gave are solid as rock.
When someone starts out they often don't know the way wideangles react to faces and it can be puzzling why there is distortion in a face.

This models weak points are enhanced by the use of something wide.
When using a 90mm portrait lens you will reduce this effects with a great deal.

Of course sometimes a wacky picture is fun but most of the time it's more fun for the photographer than for the model, here the forehead and nose don't look like the model is in real life (although I hope).

When shooting portraits from close and angluar you shout always use 90mm-135mm to get a natural looking portrait.
When knowing what you doyou can use anything from arround 50mm and up but angles like this will not come out natural with a 50mm that's a fact (on a 1.6 crop camera).

So please get of your frank bashing tour and act normal I don't understand what I have done to trigger your anger towards me except talk back, maybe that's the problem :?

@Stustaff,
Forgive me for using this thread for a personal note but the remark here was really bugging me.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 2:32 AM   #7

Hooligan thanks for the comments, i will say though that sometimes you do come across as a bit abrasive and nasty. I dont believe your consciously doing it so have no problem with it, im just pointing it out because not sure if your aware of it but comments like "I mean lets face it, shes not going to win a beuty contest anytime soon" could easily offend someone.

In regards to the framing I think your right! I got in a bit too close and left myself nothing to play with!

Not sure why you have a 'thing' about Frank? but again I dont think there is any need to use comments in other peoples threads to have digs at him, it just takes thinkgs off topic.

Frank, dont worry about it and try not to rise to it, its what he wants

and back to the photos
Old Feb 8, 2006, 12:22 PM   #8

Problem you don't take into account is the fact that we are talking about a crop factor not a multiplier.
So if you want DOF you need to take into account the distance to your model and that's totally different on a crop camera than on a FF camera.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 3:42 PM   #9

Hey man

i think the 2nd shot has a real cool retro feel to it. it does appear a bit warped (maybe stretched). not sure if this is intended. Anyways i think the b&w conversion compliments the image and yea i really like the tight crop

cheers
KeN
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 3:06 AM   #10

Thanks KennethD amd Kenmck15, plan on getting some new shots done this week so will take everything everyone has said into consideration, cheers.

Stu