Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Feb 11, 2006, 1:53 AM   #21

I have no problem with being picked on, unless the comments are not grounded and in this case you don't know what you're talking about (with all due respect).

Glamour photography is something TOTALLY different from portrait photography.

I recently had a discussion with a student of mine over David Lachapelle, in his opinion it was one of the worst and overrated photographers arround, Helmet Newton was the one that had the coolest shots according to HIM.

In my opinion they can't be compared. David Lachapelle is one of the best fashion/highfashion photographers arround at this moment in time and I absolutly LOVE/ADORE his work.
Helmet Newton is not MY PERSONAL taste but I can value his work as one of the best in HIS catagory.

I think that defines the student from his teacher, the student still has to learn to master the skills to see through his personal taste and to learn to value photographs or pieces of art in the context they are placed and made.

This is something alot of beginners and stuck photographers lack.

Again this is meant with the utmost respect to everyone, I'm not the person to sable someone down in words. But it's an essential part of your development in becoming a better photographer.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 11:26 AM   #22

Hooligan Wrote
Quote:
be forwarned that if something sucks it will be discussed as such and analysed for its weaknesses.
Quote:
Which brings us to the subject of you, Hooligan.

It appears that you are only comfortable with this principle as long as it is a one-sided process. Frankhas both the courage and the confidence to post his work - you clearlyhave neither which, having read your post in its distasteful entirety,comes as no greatsurprise.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 11:53 AM   #23

hooligan wrote:
Quote:
I would like to engae people in openminded discussions about photography, art, techniques, styles and technologies. I would liket o do this in an intelligent manner wich means, frank and ernest discussions without people getting upset and posint their resumes....
Well you should do that. Your idea of engaging people is actually just plain rude. A lot of people are here just to learn - not to get into a who knows the most about the most varied artists in the world - it is certainly not a place to argue who's the best in all the world.

You come across as incredibly rude. That is not helpful - and I can say 1000% that the only thing I have learnt from you is how not to behave. You may have superior knowledge and skill regarding photography (or you may not) but what do you want a slap on the back? To be told how fantastic you are?

We have had discussions previously about people like you who disrespect new posters to this forum; and how these new people may never come back. You call this helpful? If that is what you are looking for maybe you are on the wrong forum.

Try and be polite and curteous - this doesn't mean being dishonest if you feel something needs to be said to improve somebodys work then try and think of a polite way to tell them - if you cannot, maybe you should say nothing at all.

Final point - I find your large font quite nasty too - can't you just type something in like everybody else?
DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 1:00 PM   #24

hooligan i just want to slap you silly,

as i think do a lot of people here.

A) im a female. im judging the models not out of hornyness, but she has to have something about her.

B) If you want to capture real life, indeed, there are no bad models. in glamour photography there are. they have to get a look just right. you have too sell a product, a look, or an image. this is a skill. i know this as imadea living as a model in the 90's.

C)you obviously dont know **** about glamour photography, seeing your examples of good photography.

D) Justin timberlake has nothing to do with this subject, neather does american culture. i dont like his music eather, but THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.

E) you do have something to prove. you cant judge someone if you dont know anything about the subject, YOU DO HAVE TO PROVE.

ok, let me put it this way, as justin timberlake isnt of your liking:
it like sayingpicasso is a bad artist becouse his work doesnt reseble that of monet.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGh. you really bring out the worst in me. i hate it when people are so narrow minded. and yes, i agree that sometimes franks work is just widely accepted as "superb" when somethimes its not... BUT your argument are not appliableonthis form of photography.

there.

photogeek

photogeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 1:23 PM   #25

DomCotton wrote:
Quote:
Final point - I find your large font quite nasty too - can't you just type something in like everybody else?
Dom, The choice of font tells you more about this individual than anything else. It is an attention seeking deviceemployed by one whofeels the need to be noticed.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 4:31 PM   #26

Ok will change my font now :roll:

Never knew you were a model photogeek, would love to see some work and get to know the person.

I love to get critiques on my work, I never claim to be perfect or have nothing to learn, heck I learn every session, the workshops I teach are learning me even more.
I believe that not every session can be top notch, that's why I post also the not so good ones, just to hear the comments and see if they are the same as my own ideas about what's bad. This is THE learning process.

But indeed as photogeek mentions I would want to be critized by someone who knows glamour/fashion photography or has an open mind to it.

Greetings,
Frank

Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 4:31 PM   #27

hooligan wrote:
Quote:
Do not solicit me to post pictures as your efforts will be in vane...

. . . be forwarned that if something sucks it will be discussed as such and analysed for its weaknesses.
hooli

Seems to sumyou up eh dude.
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 4:39 PM   #28

photogeek wrote:
Quote:
hooligan i just want to slap you silly,
And I would like to be there to photograph it...! :|

DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 4:39 PM   #29

hooligan wrote:
Quote:
I know that there are people here from all over the world and it is sad to see that those who come from the very richest of the cultures adapt to the garbage that is the amrerican "culture" today. I dont understand it but i see it everyday around me, people with rich heritage are willing to throw it away only to immitate the $h!t that comes from the american televsion sets.
Quote:
hooli

That is not only racist but darn offensive.

You deserve to be booted.

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 4:27 PM   #30

I agree with the above post all this guy does is pi$$ off and offend the members in this fine forum and yes I've seen his posts...cant post anything nice then dont post at all ! lets see your work so we can see for ourselves the quality photographs and mag' covers that you have done in that vast library of your published photographic accomplishments cuz I really want to learn from a master and you seem to be that master. Judging by your ill fated attempts to discredit FD's photos then please show us the right way oh Masterful One....till then...
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote