Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Feb 7, 2006, 8:45 AM   #1

Anne lives very near from the studio so we decided to give it a go.
She doesn't have a lot of experience with modelling but that will come over time.

testsession : 120 minutes.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2006, 9:50 AM   #2

Love 3 and especially 6 makes her look fantastic, also like the one where she is sitting on the cube in terms of her body but feel maybe she should have her head looking down a touch with the eyes up?

dont think numbers 5 and 7 do her any favours! 5 especially to me seems very unflattering especially next to numkber 6 which makes her look beautiful.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 10:15 AM   #3

HI,

Always welcome to see new faces.....

I like #1...specialy in terms of colors

#2 and6 are your standard excellent face photos :-)with lot of strong colors

#4 I like her body expression

Is it #3 a little too close to her face...specially because of her arms beeing cutted strange

#5 as per my taste the light on her face is a little too flat and maybe too high light on her face...or it is just me ????

Like the variaty of shoots and use of cube

Zak
ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 11:52 AM   #4

You always make me laugh Hooligan
Void of substance ?
Do you expect I poor some liquid in my pictures

I know what you mean, please show me the way.............

Again this is a test session of 120 minutes, show me one shot with a first time model that's better and I will shut up.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 11:56 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Frank, I like this series (although not the best they are great for a first time model in such a short space of time!!!!).

Hooligan.... how about just one shot taken by you...... go on, just one!!! :blah:
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 12:02 PM   #6

They are posted pure and only to check the response of the viewers on the model herself.
For me it's the standard shots I know I can pull off in a short period of time and they give enough differsity to see by the responses of the viewers if I let Anne come in again in the future
Old Feb 7, 2006, 12:44 PM   #7

Comparing glamour photography with bare B&W photography is like comparing soccer with football.
They are both TOTALLY different ballgames.

As I understand you come from a press background, or documentary style that's a totally different ballgame than what I do.

And believe me I do alot more than post my pictures on a forum hoping to be picked up. The last year my pictures have been released on 2 CD's and one DVD from Wibi Soerjadi, 5.5 mtrs high banners have been hanging on the concert gebouw in Amsterdam for the piano recitels. I have shot covers and centerfolds for a glamour magazine, writen a book and several artikels for national and international magazines. Done some commercial work for too many to mention here (see my CV on www.doorhof.nl) etc. etc.

In other words, don't judge a book by it's cover but don't try to better everything from your own perspective.

Some simple examples for you which would maybe attract you more:

Some photographers will stop with posting on forums when they have "arrived" some will just keep on doing it because the love the response from a life community. I will not say that I have arrived, because I believe you have never arrived in a carreer, if so you can better stop.
Also you are never too old to learn or too good to learn.
There is however a very distinct area between TASTE and STYLE.

I believe that my style in glamour is not your thing, so be it.
But don't lecture me like I don't know how to make a photograph. People like Wibi Soerjadi don't count on luck, the DEMAND a good shot with character or you can pack your bags and leave through the back door. At this time I have shot 2 CD's and 1 DVD for him, including many posters, banners and commercial material for concerts and he is just one of many people who employ me on a regular base.

What I post on the forums is the stuff I LIKE and that's glamour, for some (like you) empty shells purely drive by sexdrive and looks, for others it's an art form just like every other.

B&W lovers will hate my photography because I oversaturate and make the pictures more surreal than real.
RAW lovers will hate my photography because I work on the skin and do alot of PS work.

PHOTOGRAPHERS will most likely keep an open mind and be versatile in their liking, if not please let it be or post it's not YOUR liking, but NEVER EVER think someone doesn't have the skills when YOU don't like it.
And don't EVER blaim it on luck because that photographer makes ONE or TWO photo YOU like.
It's more YOUR luck that you see one or two shots that fit YOUR PERSONAL taste.

I'm an easy going guy, I love to share my work.
When ever I get a call from Playboy, Madonna or the pope (heaven forbid) I will still post on Steve's and many other forums because I love the life feedback.
When I will go down the gutter and can't get anything done anymore and loose my employment in photography I will still post on forums because........... yeah I love it

In my critiques I ALWAYS try to move myself to the position of the photographer, and if I don't know that style I will NOT comment or find out about that style and than comment in words that are fit for that style.

Greetings,
Frank
Old Feb 7, 2006, 12:56 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Frank.... well said.... oh yea.... not bad shots either..... lol (ok they are fantastic, love the clarity).
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 1:22 PM   #9

One small addition to the story.

Let me photograph such personalities and probarbly I can make wonderful shots just different from him, let him photograph my models and he will do it his way.

Remember that Albert Einstein and the other people on his site are icons.
It's like photographing for example Bush or the pope.
You don't need much to make a strong portrait because every one knows the person.

In my "profession" it's all about fluff, glamour and commercial value.
They are unknown and have to sell magazines or a product.
Not their own character.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 4:06 PM   #10

Hooligan, Lets see your work !
I along with everyone here is waiting to see your photos. Can you not make any comments besides being negative ? this is not the forum to do so if it was it would be in Critique wouldnt it ? until then when FD does post in that part of the forum let us please see some of your work so we can compare ! getting tired of the verbal diarrhea that you spew here so sit back and learn from some who knows how to take quality shots and LEARN !

Frank , keep posting cuz it's always a pleasure to see your photos and it has taught me a great deal about composition and lighting as I'm sure it has other members.
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote