Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Feb 10, 2006, 5:40 PM   #1

Hi all!OK, these photos aren't good enough to go in the critiques section. But I just thought I'd share them with you because I quite liked the story behind them (and hopefully the photos tell that story too!)

It had snowed overnight, and I was out in a park today, and met a fairly elderly man with a young boy whom I guess his grandson.... So I decided to capture these moments with my Canon digital rebel XT / 350D. The boy must have been about 2.5 or 3 years old I guess... quite a cute kid, he was talking to himself a fair bit and it was quite funny to watch. Anyway, please tell me what you think!

#1 Grandfather makes sure the hat is on properly to stop the cold getting in! (I can almost hear the boy thinking: "Oh grandpa, pleeeeeease... don't do this in public, it's sooooo embarrassing....")
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2006, 5:42 PM   #2

Then the man walks away a bit (to the nearby sledge) - meanwhile the boy decides to make a snowball. So first he gathers some fresh snow from in front of him

#2gathering the much needed fresh snow - a vital ingredient for the final outcome!
Attached Images

Old Feb 10, 2006, 5:44 PM   #3

It seems obvious to me this boy is a pro... although he's really only a small child, he expertly packs the snow together, squeezingbetween his snow in his gloves.

#3 "to be assured of a proper snowball, you need to patiently prepare the material using mind and muscle"
Attached Images

Old Feb 10, 2006, 5:48 PM   #4

Suddenly the boy was ready, and he stood up and walked quickly to his waiting grandfather! The boy had SUCH a great smile and sense of achievement on his face (and a nice little snowball in his hand....) I was SO glad to catch it!! But yes (even before you look at this photo...) I was SO annoyed with myself that I cut off his feet! The boy stood up so suddenly and walked very quickly that I didn't have time to recompose to capture the moment. (I guess this means I still need practise and to think ahead!) Probably also shows the Australian in me... I still find children playing in snow very amusing, even if I've been in Europe nearly 10 years. Anyway... I still like the photo despite the "blemish" of the cropped feet.

#4 "Aha... here I am, ready to face snow war with whoever dares cross my path" (and yes, of course grandpa did cop a snowball at point blank range! :-) )

Hope you like these pictures!!! Let me know any comments.

Kind regards

Paul
Attached Images

Old Feb 14, 2006, 6:35 AM   #5
knd

i like it...it's difficult to take pictures with snow...maybe a little "bright".
last picture, the kid's face..
knd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 4:52 PM   #6

Hi knd! Thanks for your comments (the first response to this post of mine!)

And what you wrote is appreciated.. Often snow (or bright sand) "tricks" cameras because it's so dark, so the camera under-exposes (makes it look too dark). So I tried to compensate by manually exposing a little more (+0.67 EV). But yes I agree with you, I think I overdid it with these ones, the snow turning out too bright.

I think also because I did some postprocessing (increasing saturation and sharpness) it also added to the snow's whiteness... I'll have to remember that in future... all a matter and process of learning!!!

Anyway, thanks for your comments, I also liked the child's cute smile in the last photo so much.... Cheers

Paul
Old Feb 15, 2006, 3:52 AM   #7

Hi there, very cute shots, always hard to shoot darker colors on white and these are not too bad, I agree that the last pic is really cute.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 4:03 PM   #8

G'day aladyforty!

Appreciate your thoughts / words. I agree snow / white background scenes often seem hard to expose well with people subjects (with my limited experience in DSLR snow photos, as I've only had my Rebel XT /350D since Nov...)

Do you have any advice or techniques, as I know maybe you have a similar challenge with bright sandy beaches of WA? :-)

Thanks for saying the last photo is cute!

Paul