Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Mar 19, 2006, 11:39 AM   #1

The Yaschica camera I took this photo with, is at least at my age. Some undesired light can diffuse into it, so I'm not very proud of the image quality. Yet, I feel, it has many a story to convey like the original marble road, on which people have been walking for about twenty five centuries..
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2006, 1:45 PM   #2

Bahadir,

The old road reminds me very much of the stories I read about ancient Roman Viae as I studied Julius Caesar's Gallic wars in Latin.

Yes, I agree aside from the flawed light diffusion it captures wonderfully, the essence of these ancient roads.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 7:02 PM   #3

Thanks for your appreciation Selvin. So you read Latin?
Very pleased to take the road which lead me to meet kindred spirits, here :-)
Old Mar 20, 2006, 9:00 AM   #4

Thanks for sharing Bahadir - I have an interest in Biblical archaeology and have 'getting to your parts to have a good look around' on my list of things to do when I win the Lotto. Fascinating area with such a rich history - would also like to check out the Babylonian archaeology but Iraq is not exactly the place to be going on archaeological site seeing expeditions, for theimmediate future:G
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 11:02 AM   #5

Steve, as someone who is interested in Biblical Archeology I think I should mention you that all seven locations, referred as seven churches in the Bible are in the region where I live, the furthest, Laodicea, being only a few hour's drive away..Come on, you needn't win a lotto to see them and more. Please understand that you have a reliable contact around here!
PS: Acquiring the chance to get to Heaven is priceless:G
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:42 PM   #6

Hi bahadir!

It's an interesting photo you have there, the mix of old and modern, etc. I especially like the way you caught the people just walking naturally around .. of course as you write, it IS their "home area"!

True the lighting isn't perfect, but still the capture is an interesting one. And at times we can look past blemishes for something interesting!

I'm also interested in Biblical archaeology (hard to spell that word)...and actually I had a plan at some stage to possibly go to Turkey for my honeymoon later this year (September) because of both the interest in that part of the world (ie. per history and geography) as well as good climate (for end of Sept / early October). But I'm not sure yet, maybe we'll go to Greece (my fiancee won't require a visa for Greece, but she will for Turkey).

Interesting that you wrote that you live near to all the places where the 7 churches mentnioned (in Revelation) are situated. Turkey is quite a big country (according to European standards) and so that's cool those 7 places are near to each other. Maybe I'll get there one day... still not sure about our honeymoon destination...

Indeed as you wrote, the change of getting to heaven is priceless!

All the best

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:37 PM   #7

Glad to hear from you, too, Paul.
In fact one of these naturally walking Ephesian people is my wife!
So pleased to hear about your approaching honeymoon.
Congratulations!:-)
I doubly enjoyed the possibilty that you could come around here for this merry occasion.
Where is your fiance from? There are so many countries whose citizens can visit my country simply by having a visa at the gate only. I can check it out, too. Maybe it is only about the validity of the visa. I can procure a letter of invitation, if necessary. Any way,it will be settled as long as you wish to come.
So you don't need to suffice with any lesser compromise for such an important occasion.(Don't get me wrong, there are so few places as Hellas about whose history I enjoy reading and lecturing as equally!)
And don't get surprised... I already live in one of these seven locations (i)smyrna=─░zmir :-)
Please feel free to use to my e-mail address also and remember that you have a brother here, too, to help you.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 2:22 PM   #8

Thanks for your kind message and invitation. I'll email you separately about that to discuss.

Interesting to think that one of those "naturally walking Ephesians" captured in the photo is your wife. I'm guessing it is the woman with the long dark dress, as she seems the one most near the centre of the photo. (or were you using rule of thirds?) :-)

Hope you'll keep sharing some more interesting photos of your area soon.

All the best

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 8:58 AM   #9

Yes, that's correct, Paul. There she is...and every other rule comes second including the old wise rule of the thirds!
As a matter of fact, I do not stick to rules when shooting because I find them quite interchangeable according to the type of balance you intend to set in the composition.
The balance which could not be achived by masses could be obtained simply by a touch of hot color on the weaker side.
On the other hand I also find it a must to be aware of those rules. After all, to be able to challenge sth. first you have to know what you are challenging.
Related with this matter, I often think of The Blue Boy, a painting by an eighteenth century painter Gainsborough. Before him, the Academy imposed the rule of using the cold colours in the background and hot colours in the foreground items in order to attain the depth in the painting. But there Gainsborough deliberately puts his figure in blue occupying the centre.
Anyway, I am not in a position of challenging anything or reminding anyone of anything in this regard. Just wanted to share with you :-)