Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Mar 25, 2006, 1:41 AM   #1

From our shoot last week. Various lenses and lighting setups. Robbie was a blast to shoot. We had a great time. You can see her whole gallery here: http://imageevent.com/24peter/robbie

24Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2006, 3:28 AM   #2

Hi, good to have you back with some newphotos it has been awhile....

Must say that this session was not as good as the last one where there was male and female pair shoots.

Although I'm OK with all the shoots among the last one. Like the white background you did and exposition on #1 and #2. Her expression is very nice and natural on #3 and #2 and the angle of shooting is goodon this two photos.

Did you used a natural light on the last one....on some spots looking little too yellow or overexposed?????don't you think

Did you used a fill in flash on #3....like there is too much frontal light at the upper part of her face.....

Thanks for sharing and

regards

Zak
ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 6:02 PM   #3

ZAKD wrote:
Quote:
Hi, good to have you back with some newphotos it has been awhile....

Must say that this session was not as good as the last one where there was male and female pair shoots.

Although I'm OK with all the shoots among the last one. Like the white background you did and exposition on #1 and #2. Her expression is very nice and natural on #3 and #2 and the angle of shooting is goodon this two photos.

Did you used a natural light on the last one....on some spots looking little too yellow or overexposed?????don't you think

Did you used a fill in flash on #3....like there is too much frontal light at the upper part of her face.....

Thanks for sharing and

regards

Zak
Thanks Zak. #3 was done with a ring flash. It can create hotspots like that but it doesn't bother me. Other people don't seem to like it as much. The last shot was done in a covered area (stairwell) of an outdoor location. Her hands were in the sun - the rest of her was in the shade. Also there was an orange wall next her reflecting the light. Again not everyone likes it but I like the warmer tones.

I'm still just learning. Thanks again for your comments! :-)
Old Mar 25, 2006, 6:15 PM   #4

nice shots

in your gallery you have soem shts outsxide in a leather skirt. dd you have any additional gear to pull of these shots other than a flash???

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 8:39 PM   #5

kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:
nice shots

in your gallery you have soem shts outsxide in a leather skirt. dd you have any additional gear to pull of these shots other than a flash???

ken

Hi Ken - no,I used an on-camera flash to try to fill some of the shadows. I was at -1 FEC but it still wasn't enough to cut down on the hard-edged light from the flash. I'm going to experiment with some diffusion material over the flash next time to cut it down even more. There was a lot of natural light bouncing around up there which is why I choose that location so I had some "environmental" reflectors so to speak but that kind of light is hard to control.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 4:54 AM   #6

24Peter wrote:
Quote:
kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:
nice shots

ken

Hi Ken - no,I used an on-camera flash to try to fill some of the shadows. I was at -1 FEC but it still wasn't enough to cut down on the hard-edged light from the flash. I'm going to experiment with some diffusion material over the flash next time to cut it down even more. There was a lot of natural light bouncing around up there which is why I choose that location so I had some "environmental" reflectors so to speak but that kind of light is hard to control.

thanks mate, very nice shots all round, i look fwd to more of your work

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 9:58 PM   #7

It is GREAT to see other portrait photographers posting their work.... I love to great shots like these... I really love to watch a photographers work grow and mature. Please keep posting.. I would have to say that # 2 is THE BEST of these posted..... The composition is great, she looks relaxed and it has that sex appeal without going overboard. None of these went overboard in my eyes. I dont mind nude at all as long as it is done in a way that does not belittle the model. Frank does a WONDERFUL job at respecting his models.

The last one posted is in my eyes the weakest of the group. The red pole is distracting, it is over exposed in the bottom left corner and her expression does not look as pleasing as it does in other shots.

She has a WONDERFUL smile in # 3

Bagsfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:05 PM   #8

I just looked at the ENTIRE work day that you did with Robbie..... I am very impressed with the day. You did great. There are several shots that I would have posted here on this forum that you did not post....... I just wanted to say GREAT JOB... How long have you been doing this kind of photography and what kind of flash or studio lighting did you use ???
Bagsfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:33 PM   #9

Bagsfan5 wrote:
Quote:
I just looked at the ENTIRE work day that you did with Robbie..... I am very impressed with the day. You did great. There are several shots that I would have posted here on this forum that you did not post....... I just wanted to say GREAT JOB... How long have you been doing this kind of photography and what kind of flash or studio lighting did you use ???
Thanks. I've been shooting for about 15 months (I got my first (D)SLR - Canon Rebel XT- last April so it is one year with a "real" camera.)

I'm still learningbut try to try different things with each shoot. I have a variety of lighting setups that I've acquired over the past year. These include an Alien Bee 800, an Adorama Diggipopper 200 and a JTL Versalight 160. I also have a Sunpak 383 and DS-20 that I put on stands sometimes. I have a couple of softboxes, several umbrellas and a couple of snoots/barn doors for the strobes. I also occassionally use a cheap Vivitar ring flash for the studio stuff (look for the double shadow around the subject - shot #3 above). Outdoors I use a 220EX on camera for fill flash but will be trying to do more without any flash at all (I didn't like the way Robbie's outdoor shots turned out with the flash.)

I'm still learning as I said and have read a bunch of books on lighting. But mostly I study the work of other people on this and other forums. (I love Frank Dorhoof's work and hopeone day I can shoot like him.) I try topractice as much as I can, usually using the self-timer on my camera and me as the subject to see what works and what doesn't.

Thanks again for looking. :-)
Old Apr 3, 2006, 11:25 AM   #10

Nice shots, she reminds me of the actress in Desperate housewives, the one with the twin boys:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote