Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:32 PM   #1

Went to downtownDC for the Cherry Blossom Festival today, and caught some of a Lantern Lighting Ceremony along the Tidal Basin. This picis ofthe "Embassy of Japan Princess"
Attached Images

Murmurmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:34 PM   #2

With Lantern in Background...
Attached Images

Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:34 PM   #3

Two women...
Attached Images

Old Apr 9, 2006, 8:52 PM   #4

Very interesting as I have just finished reading a book of Japanese history. Nice, well done.

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 9:56 PM   #5

Thanks so much! :-)It was a little difficult to get a decent shot, since we weren't able to get that close, and from the front, the crowd was in the way in the pics, and from the sides, that metal bar (in the first pic) was in the way!! :roll:

But anyway, yes, the ceremony, and a lot of the Japanese events at the cherry blossom festivalwere definitely very interesting!!
Old Apr 12, 2006, 5:00 AM   #6

Murmurmel,

Very nicely done. Parades and similar public events are tough unless you get one of those press passes and can flaunt yourself in front of everyone and get prime spaces to shoot from.

Hawaii naturally has a wide variety of Japanese festivals and even with this it is sometimes difficult to get the right angle at any one event so attendance each year does help to round out the whole thing. If you're interested you can see some shots at:

http://www.pbase.com/selvin/japan_culture&page=all

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:55 PM   #7

I am chairman of the lantern ceremony. If you have any suggestions about how to acommodate the professional and amateur photographers, let me know. The one angle where you can geta shot of the lantern being lighted is where the Park Service placed the camera stand and we invited still photographers to come up on stage after we cleared away chairs. There has to be a stage that is high enough to reach the lantern which is eight and one-half feet tall. The Lantern is 355 years old and weighs two tons. I have seen many pictures of the ceremony and I like yours. Two days after the ceremony, the Park Service put up two new signs on Indepdence Avenue SW sidewalk in front of the Lantern to explain the history of the trees and the history of the Lantern Ceremony. There are old photos going back 50 years at http://www.StateSocieties.org.

Mark Rhoads, Past President

National Conference of State Societies
MarkRhoads is offline   Reply With Quote