Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Apr 7, 2006, 1:48 AM   #1

I don't usually take people pics, but I took this one day before we went out to lunch. Anyway, just thought I' d share, comments/crtiques welcome, of course.

fina23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2006, 6:28 AM   #2

this is a great pic. not sure about landscape on this shot but thts ok

c&t

Umm i thnk there is too much varience from darks to highlights. Very good sharpness and nice detai. Usually with portraits you want to use a softer shot.

I used photoshop to decrease highlights and increase shadow detail (especially in the hair, now ther is more detail there now). It also doesnt look as obvious with light sources.

I also softened certain parts of the skin but kept eyes, lips and nose sharp

nice shot.

hope you dont mind about the edit.

wat you think?

ken
Attached Images

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:52 AM   #3

Yeah, I like the changes. Tne picture was taken in front of a window, I wasn't planning on having the window pane down the middle, but this was more of a spur of the moment shot.

How did you increase the softness so much on the skin? I mean what what function in photoshop did you use?
Old Apr 9, 2006, 1:37 AM   #4

fina23 wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, I like the changes. Tne picture was taken in front of a window, I wasn't planning on having the window pane down the middle, but this was more of a spur of the moment shot.

How did you increase the softness so much on the skin? I mean what what function in photoshop did you use?

1) the pane down the middle can be removed with a lil time and the good old cloning tool. Due to the white backing you could also mask up tht side of ur girlfriend and use the brush to paint over white. wat ever is easier for yoj

Now this is the way that i have found easiet and more versatile for me. you may want to try diff filters or techniques or watever.

Now to the skin softening,

Go into quick mask mode. Usually by hitting "Q". Select the BRUSH tool and make sure the opacity is set to 100%. now draw a mask on the face similar to the one in the images below. You mask shouldnt cover the eyes, eye brows, mouth, nostrils of nose, hair, or anything else you want to sustain detail in. IT always looks weird wen ppl try to churcn out fast edits by softening the entire image and it tends to look cheap. Mask only the areas you want to manipulate. in this case soften. Once you have completed the mask hit "Q" again. this will turn ur mask into a selection. Go up to the SELECTION option and hit FEATHER then type in say 15. Go back into SELECTION and hit SELECT INVERSE so photoshop selects the area within the mask. Now something handy is to go in the top bar and click VIEW and then UNCHECK the options EXTRAS. this will temp hide the selection lines while you work ur magic. Now ususllay in this case you would select FILTER, BLUR, then GAUSIAN BLUR. Now play with the radius and you will see the skin chaging. keep playing until it looks the way you want it to. In this case when i did this edit i decided to use noise ninja and cranked up softening in this software as i thought, in this instance, the final shot looked more real.

Now this will give you a very soft skin. Now the gausian and noise reduce wll take out most of skin irregularities but sometimes along with it the skin loks fake. What you do now with the same portion still selected is select the filter NOISE, then ADD NOISE. again play with the settings until a very slight grain is added to the shot. this makes the shot look much more convincing tht the shot hasnt been photoshoped, instead looing like your subjects natural skin.

In ref to lighting and shadows just play with HIGHLIGHTS and SHADOW controls in IMAGE bar

hope this helps

ken

Attached Images

Old Apr 9, 2006, 3:22 AM   #5

Awesome tips, thanks so much for the detailed response. Incidently, the camera I used for this shot was the Panasonic FZ30, like your forum picture. Been having a great time with this camera.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 6:12 AM   #6

fina23 wrote:
Quote:
Awesome tips, thanks so much for the detailed response. Incidently, the camera I used for this shot was the Panasonic FZ30, like your forum picture. Been having a great time with this camera.

hey no worries and yes i also own an fz30. its an excellent camera.

ken