Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Apr 14, 2003, 2:50 PM   #1

Default My first Photo posted here

This is my first photo posted here. I usually post on the dpreview.com site. So some of you might have seen some of my photos over there.

I got a new Canon S400 a few weeks ago. This is one of my first pictures takin on it.

Please let me know what you think ( I can't figure out how to embed the photo in the post so it is a link, if someone can tell me how to embed it I would appreciate it).

[img]http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoShareGallery1/100288/100796/Upclose17060.jpg
[/img]
mrtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2003, 2:50 PM   #2

trying again:

http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoSha...close17060.jpg
Old Apr 18, 2003, 2:28 AM   #3

I like face-closeups, but your shot is underexposed. You need some lightsources to get some lifte into the shot.
The flash is often too weak (or strong) to make a good portrait alone.

In details:

Her skintone is a bit unnatural (I imagine) and the hair is obvious too dark and without details - a pitty, she has nice curly hair full of shadows. The eyes seems also a little lifeless.

You could try adjusting til light- and colorlevels in an graphic editor. I'm sure you'll get a better portrait in the end.

But it's a fine first-timer pic though!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2003, 8:42 AM   #4

I would be pleased with this photo as I find portraits very difficult. I do however think it's a bit too much in your face (excuse the pun) but that's just my own personal preference.

It will make a great photo to show her when she grows up.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2003, 9:37 PM   #5

Default Adjusted a bit.....

Hi mrtoad,
Very cute "munchkin"! I really liked the detail and clarity of this closely composed portrait. You very nicely captured those sparkling eyes and pretty face that are so obviously full of exhuberant life!
I too noticed that this portrait seemed to have a strange colorcast, and hoping that you wouldn't be offended adjusted it a bit using Photoshop Elements. I am red-green colorblind so my "adjustments" may be off a bit, but this photo seems to be worthy of a little "tweeking" to cherish for a long time to come. Curt

original:

adjusted:
Digeeedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2003, 2:01 AM   #6

Hi digeeedad!
It looks like you did a "autolevels" in Photoshop. Hmmm...or something like that. Now the girls skincolors seems too grey and dull, but somehow also much more vibrant and natural too me.. However you made an excellent statement of your point, when you mentioned "strange colorcast" to the original portrait.
Its obvious that the WB settings is all wrong. The skins too red. My guess is, that its because its shot under ordinary indoor light, (tungsteen I believe its called in english?) which has a warm colortemperature - and therefore without correction to the cameras whitebalancesettings creates this red skintones.
The right skintones would be somewhere between these too portraits I think.
Just an opinion looking at your work! well done!
Old Apr 21, 2003, 2:08 PM   #7

Default Thanks for the comments

Yes, her color is somewhere in between the two. It was taken indoors. Is there a suggestion for when taking pictures to get a differnt color?

Thanks,
Mike
Old Apr 21, 2003, 2:45 PM   #8

Dont know what exactly you mean. But shooting in RAW you always will be able to change the Whitebalance and get the right colors AFTER you have taken the photo.

regards
klaus
Old May 14, 2003, 1:21 PM   #9

Quick question - What can I do in Photoshop 6.0 with a RAW file that I can't do with a jpg? Right now, I use Auto Levels or the Brightness/Contrast adjustments to tweak jpg photos. Would they be more effective with a RAW file? Are there adjustments that I can make to a RAW file that can't be done to a jpg? What are the advantages? TIA
flenn is offline   Reply With Quote