Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old May 8, 2006, 4:02 AM   #11

Grant2 wrote:
Quote:
Mate, better than I could ever do and the model is as lovely as ever. But I agree with Baz's comments about the slightly higher camera position. Just the first thing that came to mind that's all.

Apart from that, thanks again for showing me what my camera can do!!

PS, what you've achieved with some desk lamps is brilliant.

woow thank you mate for the kind words

I am very new to portrait work and i consider it my bigget weakness. BUt im trying.

Thanks heaps for the encouragement and i am in the process of making some home made lighting with some halogens and some softboxes. It will be done in a couple of weeks so it will be interesting to see how it comes out. I wil be disappointed if it aint better than these $10 desk lamps LOL

thanks again

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 8:12 PM   #12

Ken, do you have a picture of your lighting setup? I'm wanting to create some cheap portrait lighting as well.
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 8:52 PM   #13

lighting's not bad, Ken, especially for cheap desk lamps, butit seems just a tad on the bright side, a little overexposed. you might try a little more distance from the lights, or some way to tone them down a bit. it's also help if she could tilt her head toward the camera a bit, to add more depth to the images and get away from the "looking up" sensation. i'd also try a bit wider crop... she has lovely hair, and the tight crop cuts off part of the top of her head. back up a bit, let her hair show. perhaps try the same shot more from the side, with her head turned toward you and tilted a little forward, to add some shadow and depth... experiment! you have a willing accomplice, it seems, so take advantage of it! :G

overall, very nicely done. of course, having a drop-dead gorgeous young lady to photograph always makes it easier!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 9:57 PM   #14

Nizidramanii wrote:
Quote:
Ken, do you have a picture of your lighting setup? I'm wanting to create some cheap portrait lighting as well.
Thanks

HAHAHA

you will laugh when you see it, i will see what i can do for you

ken

Old May 8, 2006, 9:58 PM   #15

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
lighting's not bad, Ken, especially for cheap desk lamps, butit seems just a tad on the bright side, a little overexposed. you might try a little more distance from the lights, or some way to tone them down a bit. it's also help if she could tilt her head toward the camera a bit, to add more depth to the images and get away from the "looking up" sensation. i'd also try a bit wider crop... she has lovely hair, and the tight crop cuts off part of the top of her head. back up a bit, let her hair show. perhaps try the same shot more from the side, with her head turned toward you and tilted a little forward, to add some shadow and depth... experiment! you have a willing accomplice, it seems, so take advantage of it! :G

overall, very nicely done. of course, having a drop-dead gorgeous young lady to photograph always makes it easier!

Thank you for the feedback mate

yea i want to really try and develop my portrait skills now into something half decent. Thaks for input i wil have a go. i think we are goin to take a few this weekend maybe

thanks again

ken

Old May 10, 2006, 3:07 AM   #16

Looks good.
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 5:38 AM   #17

matthew2000tx wrote:
Quote:
Looks good.

thanks man
Old May 12, 2006, 11:18 AM   #18

Ken - I just came across your shot and I must say it is excellent. You obviously have a very attractive subject but also created a great image with minimal means. The low camera angle and high key lighting effect both work for me. Your lighting is soft and even enough to avoid harsh shadows at that angle. Are there any more photos from the series?

BTW - I started out using natural light for my portraits, then tungsten (halogen video lights) but eventually you'll probably need to master the strobes if you want to take it to the next level. Continous lighting is relatively easy compared to strobe lighting. But take your own time to get there.

Good job!
24Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 4:24 PM   #19

24Peter wrote:
Quote:
Ken - I just came across your shot and I must say it is excellent. You obviously have a very attractive subject but also created a great image with minimal means. The low camera angle and high key lighting effect both work for me. Your lighting is soft and even enough to avoid harsh shadows at that angle. Are there any more photos from the series?

BTW - I started out using natural light for my portraits, then tungsten (halogen video lights) but eventually you'll probably need to master the strobes if you want to take it to the next level. Continous lighting is relatively easy compared to strobe lighting. But take your own time to get there.

Good job!

Thanks mate

yea this was one of the many test shots i have been doin to try to get lighting and exp right. i found shooting with tungstne difficult due to white balancing issues during and in pp. i plan on trying halogens for a lil while as i have heard this is way easier and still cheap then i wil see how i go from there.

thanks for the comments

ken