Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old May 6, 2006, 8:51 PM   #1

Ok, I'm trying and I'm trying, and I'm TRYING! I just got a camera worthy enough to take pictures of some of the girls that have been asking me to take pictures of them (Nikon d50 with a couple decent lenses). How do you have girls pose so that they don't look plastic-y and so that they have sweet/cute/sexy looks on their face? Is it just that they need to be comfortable, or do you have them pose, and then when they're perfect, then you take the picture?
HOW do I do it?
Step by step directions on posing etc is great.

thanks so much,
Will

P.S. This is mostly going to be outdoors, so... hopefully the lighting will be perfect (ya...right) and not matter
Will.Blaschko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2006, 9:20 PM   #2

I know this is not original, but "Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker." :-)

Your model should feel comfortable with you first, so you may have to send some time explaining what you're going to be doing, and just getting them to talk about themselves.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 9:29 PM   #3

I like liquor more anyway . Damn not being 21 for another week! THANKS!
Will.Blaschko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 10:51 PM   #4

Will.Blaschko wrote:
Quote:
Ok, I'm trying and I'm trying, and I'm TRYING! I just got a camera worthy enough to take pictures of some of the girls that have been asking me to take pictures of them (Nikon d50 with a couple decent lenses). How do you have girls pose so that they don't look plastic-y and so that they have sweet/cute/sexy looks on their face? Is it just that they need to be comfortable, or do you have them pose, and then when they're perfect, then you take the picture?
HOW do I do it?
Step by step directions on posing etc is great.

thanks so much,
Will

P.S. This is mostly going to be outdoors, so... hopefully the lighting will be perfect (ya...right) and not matter
Ok, since there isn't an image here, I'm adding one for illustration (& the lighting was far from perfect).

On to the question. It's totally a matter of trust & comfort, not booze.....never mix the two!

I shoot for fun and have worked at getting better & better at every shoot. Since I started with film, I was very careful how I worked with the models, so I wouldn't waste excess film. So, I approach each shoot seriously but in a fun manner. I ususally discuss the shoot goals with the models before hand and ususally have some kind of "theme" in mind. Even though I'm trying to make the best possible images, I'm still spontanious & goofy enough so my shoots are fun to do.

I also insist that a model bring someone with them to our 1st shoot (or however many she needs to totally trust me). Some do, some don't...it doesn't matter a bit to me because I put their "someone" to work moving gear, holding reflectors, etc.

Once the model is at ease with me & comfortable...getting the right look & sparkle in their eyes is easy. My shots are made during a running conversation with the model...ususally about the next shot we want to get. But, sometimes we are just yakking & I suggest them throwing a hip out, putting their hand in their hair & sucking at the camera like they are sex-kittens......they may laugh & try it or just bust out laughing! It's just a matter of timing once you get the hang of it. (In the image below, it was the girl in front's (16 then) very first shoot & the one behind her is a pro (26 then).....I paired them up so we all learned from each other). And what's "camera worthy"? This image was made with a 2.1MP, Olumpus C2100.....

As an aside, the 16yr old isn't still 16 & is the April 2006 Calendar girl for West Coast Choppers (Jesse James of Monster Garage fame bread-&-butter business)! Barnes & Nobel & such......

As far as posing goes....some of the best images are made when the subject isn't looking at the camera or smiling (that's how snapshots are made..."look over here & say cheese").

Frank may take a different approach.......I think he has a whip too ;-)

Attached Images

Old May 9, 2006, 6:57 AM   #5

Yes, trust and comfort i would say is the most important thing

im lucky bcse i just started photographing my gf, and as we have been together so long we are very comfortable together. But at the moment stil far from creating great photos

ken

Attached Images

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote