Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old May 8, 2006, 8:26 AM   #1

2 pictures from a funeral. I tried to capture the feeling. You can see larger versions on my flickr site.

memento is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2006, 3:45 AM   #2

Was this a funeral that you were attending? I'm not sure what to say... I've never thought about this sort of thing in a photography context..

For what it's worth, the second photo I find very sad. So if that was your objective you've done well. I would say that it would be a completely personal thing though as it speaks to me in a way that it may not to others. But I guess that's what it's all about.

Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 10:54 AM   #3

It was a funeral of someone very close to me, but from a family/political sense, I was completely detached from the feeling and timing of it. Long story, but it was my chance to take some photos to memorialize it. Especially since most people are not thinking of pictures at a time like this.

I was completely trying capture the "sad" feeling in the second one. She had actually wandered away from the rest of the people, to the right of the people in the first picture.
Old May 10, 2006, 12:53 AM   #4

Well you definitly captured the sombre moment in photo 1. But my favourite is photo 2. It's just heartbreaking to look at.

I'm sorry for your loss Memento.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 3:09 AM   #5

speechless
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 4:58 PM   #6

I like the shots. I think it's interesting how things have changed, at least in my family. My wife jokes how the old family albums (my grandmothers) are full of only funeral pictures. In the 30's, on the farm, money was scarce and photos were a real luxury. Other than a wedding photo and the odd portrait shot, the only other photos of family members seemed to be taken at funerals.

And why not document funerals? It's all part of the journey and the family's story. I do not think there is any disrespect shown in doing this, yet it feels a bit uncomfortable to do so at times.

Anyway, I think you captured the moments beautifully and with respect.

Kevin
klfatcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 1:40 PM   #7

Thank you. Some of the people there did look at me as if I were some kind of cold-hearted freak. They clearly didn't appreciate me taking pictures, but I don't care. I've only got like 4 crappy pictures from my parent's wedding, and while this is not a joyous time, it is just as significant.