Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old May 12, 2006, 7:41 PM   #11

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
Part of the problem is you posted the images using the Adobe Colorspace. sRGB is the best colorspace for browser viewing. I always save my larger files for printing as Adobe files but always convert to sRGB for Web use...like this:

(Hope you don't mind)

That photo definately has more "punch" to the color. Is that just from changing color spaces? I've never messed much with different color spaces, just stuck with Adobe RGB so I'm not aware of the differences between them all.

The equipment used was fairly modest:

KM 5D with 28-135 f/4-4.5 and 11-18 f/4-5.6

KM 3600 D flash. Used wirelessly with umbrella for formal shots, on camera with bounce for reception (which I didn't post.)
gipper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 7:46 PM   #12

A couple more if anybody's interested

Attached Images

Old May 12, 2006, 7:47 PM   #13

and another
Attached Images

Old May 12, 2006, 10:27 PM   #14

Gipper....
I like your second shot...Thats a nice first dance or what ever dance of the bride and groom....Pretty much a "have to take" picture and you got it....The first shot, Im not crazy about...She has a hard look on her face...Not the happy look you need ....The reason you have this look is because you shot the picture from below....You can get away with shots like that when the pose is casual or photojournalistic, but for a portrait shot, which this one looks like, all tips and tricks books say this is a no no...I cant find my book but basicly it has something to do with taking pictures below the face gives you a hard look....Shooting straight on or down on the subject gives you a softness to the skin look with out well defined lines...Or something to that effect...Look at your bride...Even if she had been smiling, the shot would have had the lines and hard look to the face...Just a little suggestion to file away for your next wedding...
john :O
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 9:14 AM   #15

Same thing again......I just changed your 1st image's colorspace to sRGB vs Adobe. You'll have to decide if it makes a difference to you. Personally, I want the best images I can produce, whether it's for the Web or prints.
Attached Images

Old May 16, 2006, 12:33 PM   #16

I think these are very promising shots. By and large, they do the job well. Justone comment on the concepts of two of the images: #4 is wrong by design -- a wedding photo isn't about the flowers, it's about the bride. Putting the color on the flowers is conceptually flawed.

The same is true to a lesser extent in the shot of the bride on the stairway. There's just too much stairs per bride. The shot should be more tightly cropped -- give the sense of the stairs being there, but make the focus entirely on the bride. I found my gaze following the line of the stair as muchas I wascentering on the bride. That's just not what this sequence is about. The framing of the shot just doesn't follow through on the theme here.

Other than these minor quibbles, these are good efforts over-all.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 7:41 PM   #17

I would like to offer my bit of constructive critcism:

Photographing a bride with your subject's form, should always be shot from "above', never from below of such a bride.

The reason is simple: In your second shot and the 'over the groom's shoulder' shot you were a bit above the bride, and captured perfect images.

The shot from below on the stairs is not well captured. You can see various issues about her neck that do not need further elaboration. These are visible due to your vantage point that is lower than the bride.

When shooting such a subject with this type of form, stay level or above ( never below). It also helps to have the bride bend forward at her waist, which automatically extends her chin forward, thereby eliminating various 'neck' issues.

My second point is in general your captures are a bit 'in your face'. I like to see the surroundings which help to tell the story.

I hope you find my comments useful. Keep up the good work.

Regards, Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote