Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old May 9, 2006, 2:15 AM   #1

Another test shot of my gf from cheap lighting kit (2 desk lamps)

Still trying to sus out this portrait stuff, i have collated a collection of portraits i really like and i think in the next few weeks i might start on trying to take wat i like from them and make my own

i will post as i go.

ken

Last edited by kenmck15; Aug 21, 2010 at 2:48 AM.
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2006, 3:39 AM   #2

Wow, that's great mate! I like take 2 better again. Still can't believe this is an FZ30 with 2 dodgy desk lamps. You're moving ahead so quickly in my opinion. There's a tiny shadow under GF's chin (on her neck) but I'd expect a lot worse from two desk lamps. Well done! I'd really like to see some differing facial expressions as well, eg, cheeky smile or broad grin, I think it would help the pictures come alive.

Another great job Mate. Keep it up.

Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 5:45 AM   #3

Grant2 wrote:
Quote:
Wow, that's great mate! I like take 2 better again. Still can't believe this is an FZ30 with 2 dodgy desk lamps. You're moving ahead so quickly in my opinion. There's a tiny shadow under GF's chin (on her neck) but I'd expect a lot worse from two desk lamps. Well done! I'd really like to see some differing facial expressions as well, eg, cheeky smile or broad grin, I think it would help the pictures come alive.

Another great job Mate. Keep it up.

LOL, thanks mate, yea we are basing facial expressions around these photos from her magazine. but yea might mix it up in next few shots

yea the shadow under the chin was as requested as some ppl suggested higher light posi to create this. i think it enhances the chin line and jaw but im with you on tyhis, im not a fan of chin shadows

Thanks for the feedback mate

cheers

ken
Old May 9, 2006, 5:52 AM   #4

i use 2 of these and drape a light white sheet over the front to try soften the light

$10NZD at the warehouse. Bulb not included.
Attached Images

Old May 9, 2006, 8:43 AM   #5

Fantastic results considering the setup Ken!

Meiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 3:27 PM   #6

Meiko wrote:
Quote:
Fantastic results considering the setup Ken!

thank you
Old May 9, 2006, 7:26 PM   #7

Sorry for the minor disagreement, but wouldn't these be better if one of the lights were moved a little farther away to produce a little bit of shadow and make the pics look less flat? Don't get me wrong -- your gf is beautiful and the shots I have seen of her are nice, but I think they could be better, even with using the cheap lights.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 7:57 PM   #8

Barry wrote:
Quote:
Sorry for the minor disagreement, but wouldn't these be better if one of the lights were moved a little farther away to produce a little bit of shadow and make the pics look less flat? Don't get me wrong -- your gf is beautiful and the shots I have seen of her are nice, but I think they could be better, even with using the cheap lights.

i do have a few shots where i have done this, personally i dont like them but i wil post a few and see what everyone thinks

Bcse the lights cover such a small area and the light is so directional the shadow cast is very heavy and sharp. You can start to see traces of tht on the neck of this shot which was a mission to minimise using pp.
Old May 9, 2006, 8:45 PM   #9

So you're saying that fancy lighting makes your GF beautiful? Great shots. You have an eye for beauty.
honus402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 8:56 PM   #10

honus402 wrote:
Quote:
So you're saying that fancy lighting makes your GF beautiful? Great shots. You have an eye for beauty.

Thanks mate

and better lights would make my life easier when trying to get a shot

thanks for comments

ken