Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jun 3, 2006, 11:19 AM   #1

did this shoot today. Not good light most of the time and Two very active kids who never stopped moving, the boy was not impressed when he did not get the bulk of attention. The little girl kept her 7 month pregnant mother on the run for most of the time. Im not really happy with these as there were noise issues with a few due to having to bump up the ISO in dark areas to have a chance of keeping up with them but Im sure the mother will be happy as she only has a instant film point and shoot and does not have many good photos

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2006, 11:50 AM   #2

Great job overcoming the inherent challenges...nice series.

#2 is the real gem here for me. Fantastic lighting (don't know how you got around the wire grate shadows on his face) and fresh, unique approach. I'm really enjoying seeing your recent child work! If I remember correctly you were a wildlife photog not too long ago! That's what getting a 30/20D will do for ya! They perform so well in candid portraiture.

Thanks for sharing!

lynne
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 11:52 AM   #3

One suggestion...have parents bring solid colored shirts to the shoot. Sometimes screen printed/logos/characters on childswear can really distract from the child taking center stage. Plus, 10 years from now, they will really date the images. JMHO
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 1:51 AM   #4

First two are great ..... love it....great photos
ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 8:45 AM   #5

urbanaries wrote:
Quote:
Great job overcoming the inherent challenges...nice series.

#2 is the real gem here for me. Fantastic lighting (don't know how you got around the wire grate shadows on his face) and fresh, unique approach. I'm really enjoying seeing your recent child work! If I remember correctly you were a wildlife photog not too long ago! That's what getting a 30/20D will do for ya! They perform so well in candid portraiture.

Thanks for sharing!

lynne

Thanks, not sure about how the light seemed to fall right with the wire either, just lucky I guess. Im dont think it has much to do with the camera (my 300D has done some beautiful portraits) just that I got back into it a couple of months ago when a girlfriend asked me to photograph her. Have not taken as much wildlife but still love it.

Old Jun 4, 2006, 8:46 AM   #6

ZAKD wrote:
Quote:
First two are great ..... love it....great photos

Thanks Zak:-)
Old Jun 4, 2006, 12:49 PM   #7

Nice series (as usual!) aladyforty! (and g'day)

I particularly like the first photo of the little girl (colour, nice smile, good rule of thirds works so well here) and the one of the boy holding the flowers. (a bit of a shame about blown hair lighlights - no pun intended... but not a big problem at all!)

urbanaries' comment about plain (un-logoed) clothes is a valid point.

The boy in the "cage" - well the direction of shadows tell me his face is in the "gap" where the open door is, hence no wire shadows on his face. That's good (or "lucky"!)

I think you should be happy with these photos, and I trust your friend is too. You've done well again. I look forward to some more wildlife photos.

Albany autumn weather seems to be doing nice for you....

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 9:38 PM   #8

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Nice series (as usual!) aladyforty! (and g'day)

I particularly like the first photo of the little girl (colour, nice smile, good rule of thirds works so well here) and the one of the boy holding the flowers. (a bit of a shame about blown hair lighlights - no pun intended... but not a big problem at all!)

urbanaries' comment about plain (un-logoed) clothes is a valid point.

The boy in the "cage" - well the direction of shadows tell me his face is in the "gap" where the open door is, hence no wire shadows on his face. That's good (or "lucky"!)

I think you should be happy with these photos, and I trust your friend is too. You've done well again. I look forward to some more wildlife photos.

Albany autumn weather seems to be doing nice for you....

Paul

Thanks Paul, its winter here by the way. Cold mornings and bright sunny days at the moment, the best time of the year.

Old Jun 5, 2006, 3:08 AM   #9

aladyforty....

WHAT!?? :?

quote: "Thanks Paul, its winter here by the way. Cold mornings and bright sunny days at the moment, the best time of the year."

Do I detect some Scottish blood in your veins? I thought all Aussies (like me!) were sun-loving, summer-favourite fans? I thought it was only those in the (sub)tropics of Australia who preferred winters to the humidity of summer.

I've been to Albany, and summer seemed nice to me. I've lived in Tasmania for over 20 years, London for about 6 and Romania for the last 3. London has cool, dark, wet winters, Romania has cold continental (snowy) winters. I definitely prefer Tassie's mix of cold mornings / bright sunny days to the aforementioned 2 winters, but to top them all would be warm to hot summers (25 - 35 degrees), lots of sun, low humidity and mild to warm summer nights!

Still, horses for courses!! :lol: And no matter what, you still taken decent photos all year round.

Paul
Old Jun 5, 2006, 3:26 AM   #10

aladyforty,

just to show a bit of solidarity for your winter weather, I did a quick edit on photo of the boy holding the flowers.

Hope you don't mind, and let me know if you like it!

Paul

PS a bit of shadows and highlights application and smoothing out some areas, increasing saturation mostly! What do you think? PJ

Attached Images