Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jun 12, 2006, 2:20 PM   #11

urbanaries wrote:
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your kind words! and to Ken and Paula for opening my eyes to some tricks recently that have helped me improve!

wisely foolish - the glow behindKatie was a $5 can spotlight from Lowe's, equidistantbtw chair & backdrop (#1 & #2); #3 was window light only

gaussian blur in photoshop for smoothingskin - either Quick Mask skin leaving out eyes, lips and apply blur to smooth skin only - or - duplicate background layer, apply blur and set blending mode to multiply to add an allover diffusion effect

in shot 2 i also used the diffuse glow filter.

these are just the tricks I have learned to use only recently...the real experts can elaborate for you!

Lynne you have executed the photo taking and editing like a real champ. looks like youve been doin it for a long long time.

yea quixk masking is great for this tpe of work and the diffusion effect is perfect for this type of shot. You have done a great job od identifying a look and executing it.

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 3:03 PM   #12

No. 2 is absolutely angelic. The glow seems to come from within your subject.

Wonderful job!
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 3:18 PM   #13

ken I am a bit taken aback by your flatteryas my first SLR ever was purchased in February of this year (20d). are you this nice to everyone? lol

seriously though, can't overstatehow valuable these forums have beenin mylearning curve. The canon & Photoshop are such fabulous tools...I look forward to further bending them to my will! :-)
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 3:24 PM   #14

The Barbarian wrote:
Quote:
No. 2 is absolutely angelic. The glow seems to come from within your subject.

Wonderful job!
thanks for your kind words! She was a wonderfully cooperative model for an 8 year old.Hopefully I'll get to shoot her (you know, with a camera) at more points in her life!
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 6:17 PM   #15

Hi urbanaries,

Thank you for the advice =) much appreciated. I'm going to try and that spotlight and window light idea. Do you think it be good to use a hotshoe flash or onboard flash? I was able to do the layer thing but I couldn't find quick mask in photoshop

Cheers,
Peter
wisely_foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 10:13 PM   #16

Great shots! Number 2 is just priceless!!!!!! Wow!
Kaspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 6:56 PM   #17

#2 is incredible... they say that pictures are worth a thousand words, and this one is worth a lot more.* Great photo, and great expression.* Good job, I can't wait to see more of your work for inspiration.**
TravisG5 is offline   Reply With Quote