Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jun 26, 2006, 4:12 AM   #1

Another shot from same series, just using a differnt pp technique.

Im sure a grey card will save me so much time

ken

Last edited by kenmck15; Aug 21, 2010 at 1:56 AM.
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2006, 8:49 AM   #2

Hi Ken,
I just had a go for the first time at RAW and used the very free Raw Shooter Essentials from Pixmantec.

As I understand it you can then forget about the grey card. Sure looks like it.

BTW she is lovely.

Edit: I stand corrected a card is still the best bet to help even in the RAW work flow.
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 9:30 AM   #3

ISTM that you should take the shine off the tip of her nose in these. Other than that, they are fine photos.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 9:49 AM   #4

Yes, it is very nice and I like it and prefer the colored version. But as I recall she had a kind of green eyes or my mistake..... she wears eyecontact......this ones-are brown......

Believe me, you could save lot of time with grey card. I use to spent lot of time trying to get the right colors and even then I was not satisfied totaly.....but now it is way different. It's a borring thing to usit during shooting but works worth it.

Another thing: could go just a little more sharper for this kind of photos.... not neccessary but IMO I would try.....

Zak

ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 2:15 PM   #5

thanks everyone for the feedback

yes she doe s have greeney eyes but they are sorta greeney hazelly browny. she doesnt wear contacts and tts just the way they came out

thanks again

and yea i nowat u mean with the dolour balancing. i am definately going to buy a grey card next month. i cant wait actually. it takes some time to get the balance and even when i thik i do im still not entirely happy

ken
Old Jun 27, 2006, 12:23 AM   #6

These are great Ken. I agree about removing the shine from the nose (although I didn't notice it until I read the comment...shows how good I am??). Congrats on more excellent results.

Here's an interesting article on grey cards.

http://www.outbackphoto.com/workflow/wf_65/essay.html

Really helpful. I've read a couple of articles that suggest using Kodak greys.

Also, if you're in a 'need a grey card' situation and don't have one, I've read that you can actually use green grass as it has around the same reflectance percentage. Never tried it though...

Good luck Ken.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 12:54 AM   #7

Grant2 wrote:
Quote:
These are great Ken. I agree about removing the shine from the nose (although I didn't notice it until I read the comment...shows how good I am??). Congrats on more excellent results.

Here's an interesting article on grey cards.

http://www.outbackphoto.com/workflow/wf_65/essay.html

Really helpful. I've read a couple of articles that suggest using Kodak greys.

Also, if you're in a 'need a grey card' situation and don't have one, I've read that you can actually use green grass as it has around the same reflectance percentage. Never tried it though...

Good luck Ken.

Thanks Grant

yea i really want to get a grey card but i might give tht grass thing a go. Im still not entirely sure how to use it in a post processing situation but im sure i wil figure it out sooner or later.

Thanks for the link mate, i wil look into it

cheers

ken

Old Jun 27, 2006, 1:43 AM   #8

Hi mate, the link provided describes taking two captures of the subject, one on it's own and the other with a grey card in it. Then using PS you open the pic with the grey card and determine the correct balance (instructions provided in link). You can then duplicate these settings to the original photo and you've done it. There's some photo examples as well. Looks impressive.

G.

Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 8:51 AM   #9

Grey card is for exposure. White card is to set the white point for color balance.
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 3:01 PM   #10

I like the color version. Nice lighting and a pretty model.

The B&W just doesn't really work well here. The soft colour of her outfit, her healthy skin tone, and the nuetral backdrop all turn into the same basic shade of gray. It needs more contrast.
Broncosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote