Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jul 4, 2006, 1:04 AM   #1

Hello guys

About a couple of months agoI purchased some used studio strobe equiment from a friend. I wasn't really sure how to use it because I was totally new to strobe lighting. So I went online and did a little bit of reseach bought a few books and found this forum and i received alot of valluable information from you guys, Thanks alot. So here is a follow up on my (original post Need advice on Flash/strobe set up ) progress with my new/old equipment and some recent pics for you guys to see and give me your critique on.
MIles_ahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2006, 1:36 AM   #2

pic#1

Attached Images

Old Jul 4, 2006, 1:39 AM   #3

pic#2

Attached Images

Old Jul 4, 2006, 1:44 AM   #4

pic#3

Attached Images

Old Jul 4, 2006, 1:46 AM   #5

pic#4

Attached Images

Old Jul 4, 2006, 1:46 AM   #6

pic#5

Attached Images

Old Jul 4, 2006, 1:47 AM   #7

pic#6

Attached Images

Old Jul 4, 2006, 6:21 AM   #8

hey mate

i suggest you should post these sorts of shots in the "PEOPLE" forum. There are heaps of ppl who are in the know about this sorta thing there. I find thats where i learn the most

I think you have an interesting range of shots. Unfortunately i too am just learning different lighting effects, but i have not encountered strobe lighting yet. So unfortunately i can only commnt on the final shots

I think they are a tad flat. Nothing a bit of boostd mid tone contrast cant fix. I think th elight coverage looks great and its not blown out which is always good

i did a quick edit of your first shot to demonstrate what i mean with mid tones. I think it came up quite nice for a quick edit.

i have been trying to learn lighting techniques for months now and the best advice i can give is just keep clicking away and play with all the settings under the sun. It eventually happens with a bit of luck, trial and error, know how, experimentation and ofcourse steves forums LOL

hope you dont mind the edit

ken

Attached Images

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 4:44 PM   #9

Miles - I agree with Ken. The processing on your photos looks a little flat.

As far as working with strobes, it's just practice, practice, practice. I don't know how many lights you have, but try some tradtional 3-point lighting if you can (key, fill and back/rim light). Or if you only have one light, try some fill with a reflector (white foamcore will do). You can also diffuse the light or shoot it direct. You're off to a good start. Study other people's work that you admire and try to figure out how they did it.
24Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 8:45 PM   #10

I was going to ask if they came out of the camera that way or did you process any of them. But ok so everyone else was thinking the same they look flat. Ken did a great job of making it "POP" looks much much better and for the lighting on that shot it looks good now with the contrast boost etc..
Geminichild is offline   Reply With Quote