Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jul 4, 2006, 2:29 PM   #1

Hi,

This is something very new and I did try kind of different set-up considering the camera adjustments where I try to push and reach 1/100s of shutter speed with new Canon 500 f1.8 lens. Also did some light changes and not so satisfied complitely. Do not know where is the point of my mistakes: is it in light beeing too close to model or beeing not enough strong.....???

main adjustments: 1/100s, (somethimes 1/80s or 1/125s) with f2.2 to 2.8 mainly, ISO 800, all in manual.....

Zak

ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2006, 4:03 PM   #2

I like 1 and 2.
The duo's are a little bit too posed, a little bit more daring positions would be wonderful

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 8:25 PM   #3

see, this is how i know i'm not a professional photographer. i think the girls look natural and unposed. i also think not being overly made up and wildly contorting make a connection with us joe averages.

great work, zak. little consolation from the peanut gallery.
tafugate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 1:15 AM   #4

ZAKD wrote:
Quote:
... with new Canon 500 f1.8 lens.
Wow Zak!! Another new lens? (and I thought you had just bought the Canon 50mm f1.8! I'm jealous of your 500mm f1.8. Must be a HUGE piece of glass!) :blah:

OK, enough teasing you for a typo (typing mistake!)

About photos, In a way I agree with Frank, for "model" photos they do look a bit posed... and as Frank is a professional photographer and has a lot of experience and quality I take his point too.... but at the same time I see where tafugate is coming from... and the duo photos look like some photos of some friends hanging out together (I guess it depends what you wanted to convey, and I don't know if it was your purpose for "model" or "friendly" photos).

My favourite photo (of all of these) is the first one of them together. But I never imagined the girl with the black hair is so small (she featured in some of your other posts, right?)... or at least "small" compared to the other girl (with the brown hair).

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"- and I just find that the girl with the black hair has a nicer more natural smile, and looks better in front of the camera. Like I said, this is entirely subjective, others maybe have other opinions. The first photo of them together, could be improved in my opinion if you didn't cut off their elbows AND if the girl with the black hair's face wasn't half in "almost shadow".

But I like your photos. You're doing well. I'd be happy / proud of making photos like these. So keep sharing, I see your're developing and learning.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 3:36 AM   #5

a nice series

i prefer all of the solo shots. in my own opinion i think they work better. lighting is nice etc

I like the 1st duo shot, but every shot after that, the taller womans expression puts me off a bit

dark backing works nicely. this is something i want to trial in the coming weeks

new lens seems to be serving you well

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:18 AM   #6

UUUUUHHHHHHH, what a mistake Canon50m f1.8 not 500 for sure....

As I wrote it was testing and those are friend of mine. So yes some shoots are more for album. I was practice light adjustment and exposure with new lens and trying to obtain faster shutter speed as possible......

Also you are right, the black hair girl is so small that you can not imagine but sweet one....

Ok, hope in couple of days will do it again with better results....

thanks for comments I appriciate and take them as abig help during learning

Zak
ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 3:34 PM   #7

Zak - there's some nice potential there. I esp. like the solo shots.

1. Regarding that lens, a couple of things I've noticed: I never shoot below F3.5 with it and am usually b/t F4-5.6. This is where it is sharpest and most copies I've seen are soft below F2.8.

2. When shooting with strobes I always try to use the max sync speed of my camera (Rebel XT 1/200th). Thishelps me avoid camera shake and also limits ambient light from creeping in. I think your lights may be continous (tungsten?) instead of flash so the previous sentence may not apply. You're also at ISO 800. I don't go there even in natural light b/c for me it's too noisy. And when I shoot with lights I'm almost always at ISO 100 (200 tops). So to answer your original question, yes maybe you need more light or should move the lights closer to the model.
24Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 7:49 PM   #8

Nice work Zak, but I feel looking at the Duo shots the taller girl (blond) seems a little hesitant maybe? Doesn't seem natural like she is into it but the other girl does.
Geminichild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 12:27 AM   #9

Geminichild wrote:
Quote:
Nice work Zak, but I feel looking at the Duo shots the taller girl (blond) seems a little hesitant maybe? Doesn't seem natural like she is into it but the other girl does.

yea i agree

thts wat i was trying to say with my post

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 9:10 AM   #10

when i'm taking family photos, i try very hard to catch subjects with natural expressions, rather than the cheese smile. looking back through some of my pics, i have one niece that has the exact same smile in every photograph. everyone says she's beautiful, but i always think she looks a bit disingenuous.

the taller girl has a most interesting look on her face. almost mona lisa-esque. it makes me wonder what's she thinking. i think she has one of those rare, unique expressions you don't find in most cookie cutter photos.
tafugate is offline   Reply With Quote