Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:54 PM   #1

My second attempt at swimsuit/beach shooting. Klaudia and Olivia are best friends. I previously shot each them individually (see Olivia here: http://imageevent.com/24peter/oliviabriggs - see Klaudia here: http://imageevent.com/24peter/klaudiagajek ) They were up for a beach shoot so we did it. My XT and various Canon lenses including 28-105 3.5-4.5, 50 1.8, 85 1.8 and 70-200 F4 L. See all their photos here: http://imageevent.com/24peter/klaudiaolivia .

See first attempt at a beach shoot here: http://imageevent.com/24peter/vanessa

24Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2006, 5:46 AM   #2

excellent series of shots mate

i think its a great improvement over your first beach set. Colours are very natural.

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 10:15 AM   #3

3,4 and 7 are wonderful.
DO take care of cropping of lims or fingers that's the only real point of critique.
But very nice shots.
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 12:19 PM   #4

Frank Doorhof wrote:
Quote:
3,4 and 7 are wonderful.
DO take care of cropping of lims or fingers that's the only real point of critique.
But very nice shots.
Thanks Frank. I still need to work on my framing/composition.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 12:20 PM   #5

kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:
excellent series of shots mate

i think its a great improvement over your first beach set. Colours are very natural.

ken
Thanks Ken. :-)
Old Jul 6, 2006, 1:42 PM   #6

Hi,

well first thing to say is that we are back in line again...I mean that there is lot of posts and good ones as in some period few months ago it was like a break....

I remember both of them from your previous posts :?

There are lot of improvements from last swimsuits post and some photos are very very good (are you making an album from your best photos).

You were shooting as I see from the photos at the Sun beeing pretty low and not strong say arround 5 o'clock and there you had very nice photos speccially from Klaudia(short hair). She did much better and show her sexuality much more then other one. Good posing and some very nice...

Also I find some duo shoots with interesting composition.

How do you do your mettering on this kind of photos?

Not so satisfied with the one converted to B/W and the type of the swimsuit of Olivia...but her eyes and face are very important and should be more focused on......

Very good session and see you with some more...

Zak

ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 4:58 PM   #7

Thanks Zak. As for how I metered these shots, some I did better than others. I didn't bring my light meter as I thought it would be one more thing to keep track of/free of sand at the beach that day. So for the shots I was using an external flash (this setup but with only one flash) I knew it was F5.6 at about 10 ft with a diffuser (this one http://www.takegreatphotos.com/light_reflector.php) at a max shutter sync speed of 1/200th. But it wasn't enough to darken the skies or wave crestsso many are blown out. Next time I either need to go without the diffuser (I get F11 then) or add a second flash like in the photo above. To really darken the skies I would have to be closer to F16 at ISO 100 1/200th.

When I wasn't using the external flash I let the camera meter itself in Av mode. Problem was, like snow, sand can fool the camera's metering system. It seeks that mild grey color (18%) as "white" so it underexposes everything. (That's why snow often looks grey.) What I should have done was set my exposure compensationat +1 (i.e., overexpose by one stop.) That would have brightened a bunch of the images and I would have less to do in the computer. Shot #4 above of Olivia is a good example of one that was way underexposed and thus looks a little flat (the sky was also overcast at the moment tooso it didn't help.)

I gotta tell 'ya: it's hard to remember all that stuff in the moment. I think that's what makes a great photographer - someone who is relaxed enough to apply everything she knows in the moment everything is happening!

Old Jul 8, 2006, 8:48 PM   #8

Nice shots, just curious is it me or on #4 is there a smile face stamp on her hand
Geminichild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 12:09 AM   #9

Geminichild wrote:
Quote:
Nice shots, just curious is it me or on #4 is there a smile face stamp on her hand
Olivia was out late partying the night before... :lol: