Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Sep 8, 2006, 12:23 AM   #11

kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:
Havent really been taking many new shots, as mentioned in another forum i am looking into a dslr and might buy one soon. Once i have it MAYBE..... well i should say hopefully, i will post some first timer shots. An no, my gf seems to be my only model at the moment. Buti may do some of her sister, we will see

Ken -it really is none of my business, but you aremuch too talented to stop shooting... You don't even need a new camera - or a new model. Personally I really hope to see some new stuff from you soon.
24Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 2:51 AM   #12

I like #3 nice DOF and composition.
On the others the posing but most important the chosen angles are not my preference.
But it's getting better and better.
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 10:29 PM   #13

24Peter wrote:
Quote:
kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:
Havent really been taking many new shots, as mentioned in another forum i am looking into a dslr and might buy one soon. Once i have it MAYBE..... well i should say hopefully, i will post some first timer shots. An no, my gf seems to be my only model at the moment. Buti may do some of her sister, we will see

Ken -it really is none of my business, but you aremuch too talented to stop shooting... You don't even need a new camera - or a new model. Personally I really hope to see some new stuff from you soon.

Thanks mate

Haha, too late, i just sold the olf fz and just bought a 350d, they are just going discontinued in NZ so got it for a real sharp price on the twin lens kit (18-55 and 75-300). For almost what i sold the fz for.

Thanks for the comments mate, yea i do miss shjooting and i hope to get right back into it soon, but this dlsr is a whole new can of worms and im going to be posting some shockers for a while until i can get to grips with this new toy.

Im also looking at a lens, similar to what Zak is using in this series. 50mm f1.8. Dont no much about dslr lenses so any help is appreciated.

And yea for now my gf is my only model, but maybe use her sister later on for a change and see how we go

And peter your latest set is stunning mate, I hope to be able to get my work atleast remotely comparable to it.

thanks again mate, and back to the subject, Zak as mentioned, your talent keep growing, great series

Many thanks

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 1:33 AM   #14

Not to hijack Zak's thread, but that's my camera as well (Canon Rebel XT). I've tried many, many lenses over the last year so if you have any questions fire away. Zak's choice of lens is a good one. The 50 1.8 is soft up to about f2.5-2.8 but is cracker sharp at f4.5-5.6. For US$70, it's a tough lens to beat. I know you picked up a zoom but the new 70-300 IS USM is definitely one of the best (if not the best) consumer lenses Canon has ever made. Just make sure you getnew one. They had to re-design the lens (it was launched last year) due to a portrait orientation problem. The 85 1.8 is also a great portrait lens (US$350) and for a medium zoom I love my 28-105 3.5-4.5 USM II ($220). Of course those are all Canon consumer lenses. Pro's shoot with Canon "L" lenses. They're great but some cost several times what you paid for your 350D.

Enough. Back to Zak's great photos.:-)
24Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 3:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Im also looking at a lens, similar to what Zak is using in this series. 50mm f1.8. Dont no much about dslr lenses so any help is appreciated.

Hi Ken, well you've made a big step but good one... Same camera as I have so I can tell you my expiriance:Pif you need any......

Consideing the lens I have founded some good information as I also bought new lens and having some "warm" information could tell you that for portrait shots everybody told me to buy Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR DI LD asph.IF and some prime for sure like I have 50mm f1.8 or some other prime like 85mm (I see lot of peopples using them including Frank)..... P.S> for primes be carefull you will need a big room or big distance to shoot whole figure.... but buy prime lens for sure...

well that all for now

Thanks for comment...
ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 7:44 AM   #16

thanks guys, i didnt no you also used a 350d peter.

I am looking at a 50mm f1.8 lens. IM wondering if this would be good for portrait work.

Ha, look at me, i havent even had a proper play with the std lens and here i am trying to buy new ones already

thanks for all the help

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 10:35 AM   #17

Quote> I am looking at a 50mm f1.8 lens. IM wondering if this would be good for portrait work.

Your kit lens can satisfied you for landscape photos I think.... for portraits not. And even on whole open wide lens at 18mm for landscape I see lot of distorsion.

But to back at subject portrait lens I'm sure that two additional lens will fit all of your needs.

Primes like 50mm f1.8 or even faster 50mm f1.4 (I reccommend) will be great= fast and sharp.... but no zoom, so you willl have to use your feet. That is not problem but for small rooms.... well could be.... I had it.

That is why a second lens Like Tamron 28-75 f2.8 will be also great. In total here the costs (for both lens) would be 450EUR.... in your country I do not know.

Do not worry.... that was suggestion for me when I was buying lens....

Good luck and please.... do show some your work.... too long ago.... friend, I'm very concern about you and you beeing photographer without any photo....:roll:
ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote