Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Sep 3, 2006, 4:57 AM   #11

Hi Paul

Once again a lovely collection of shots, tons of character. Looks like you were having a great time.

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 5:42 AM   #12

Ken, Thanks mate!

Appreciate your comments. I haven't been around here (on Steve's forums) to see more of your and other folks photos lately... but I always like the photos you have posted. Hope to see some more of your photos soon...

Yeah, we had heaps of fun, it was an enjoyable holiday at the end of a busy summer.... thankfully our wedding plans (for 23rd Sept) are going smoothly...

All the best to you too.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 1:44 PM   #13

Hi,

well, considering my personal opinion #2 is the favourite one.....

would think about closer crop and you beeing a litlle lower (I think you are a litlle toller than her and you are shooting her a kind of upper position) position, but anyhow great photo....

Would like to see you here more often

Rgds Zak
ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 2:52 PM   #14

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
... but I always like the photos you have posted. Hope to see some more of your photos soon...

........thankfully our wedding plans (for 23rd Sept) are going smoothly...

Hi Paul

thansk mate, i am lookig at a new cam at the moment so im sorta holding off any new shots,

and look fwd to any weding photos, if you allowed to pull out the cam

best regards

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 6:14 PM   #15

Ken,

Well you're doing such a good job with your FZ camera, I'm sure you'll also do good with a DSLR if you get one. Do let us know and share your appreciated photos either way.

About if I'll be allowed to pull out my camera on the wedding day... nah.. I won't be that bad. But surely on the honeymoon (in Greece) I'll be allowed, and hope to share some shots about the Greece landscapes and some portraits of my newlywed wife afterwards.

Take care

Paul
Old Sep 3, 2006, 6:16 PM   #16

Zak,

I do appreciate your comment. I also like photo 2 a lot... glad we agree! :-)

You're totally right, I am somewhat taller than Tundi (even though I'm not tall, she's a very small girl!) I'll keep your helpful remarks in mind for future tries.

Thanks for the advice. As I get more time I hope to contribute here more (again!)

Paul
Old Sep 4, 2006, 1:42 AM   #17

Dear Bahadir,

I apologise at not being careful enough to answer a few of your questions in your post. I was too hasty! (and now I'm paying).

So you asked, which lens and you perceived I have added another lens to my collection. Indeed a few months ago I have purchased another lens... my latest lens is the Canon 100-300mm f4.5-5.6 USM lens. It's quite a good lens, I'm happy with it and it was helpful for some of the holiday photos. It is a useful lens for outdoor people shots portraits and more distant wildlife as well as sports / action photos, all of which I do a fair bit of (e.g. at children camps, nature walks, etc).

So now I have these lenses (all Canon)

- 50mm f1.8 used for these photos: 1& 2 (great for low light work and indoor or posed portraits)

- 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 USMIS used for these photos: 3, 4, 7 & 8 (my walk around lens, on my camera 90% of the time)

- 100-300mm f4.5-5.6 USMused for these photos: 5 & 6 (as I said useful for outdoor portraits)

and also I have the Canon

- 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 (kit lens)... which I don't use a lot for people photos, it's too short and slow... but it's good for wider angle landscape photography.

I've told my fiancee that I won't add to my lens collection anymore soon! (and I'm quite sure of that myself too!)

You also asked if I had applied any sharpening to it in the PS. Yes actually I have realised especially with DSLR photos to bring out the best even for posting a photo on the web it is best to add an appropriate amount of unsharp mask and often to touch up the contrast and saturation a bit as well.

It was never my intention with photo 6 (your favourite) to immitate the conroposto technique... but I'm glad to again have an interesting historical perspective from you... even if it was at the cost of the maiden turning her back to the camera for a while!

Finally, to demonstrate the usefulness of a telezoom lens for outdoor portrait / people photos (as NHL often describes), here is a candid photo of a boy whom we made friends with on the beach, as well as we chatted with his family. This photo taken with the 100-300mm lens.

Hope you enjoy it. And next time I will try to be more observant and answer your questions promptly!

All the best. Paul
Attached Images

Old Sep 4, 2006, 7:42 AM   #18

Paul, your responsiveness is very impressive indeed! When combined with your faculties, especially those concerning with photography, it is no wonder that your shots can acquire a wide rating the moment you step in )
Btw, after getting married, maybe you can make your final investment on a real wide angle 10-22 or 12-24, etc.!!
By the way, it is not the image but almost the boy himself which you've posted :G
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 11:02 AM   #19

Bahadir,

It is (again) your genuine kindness shining through in your words, they are much appreciated. I still feel quitea beginner at photography, especially in a real "serious" sense... however it's good we can share and learn together and I'm glad when people appreciate the photos I share with them (e.g. related to aspects about this amazing world, nature, culture, the charity work and camps I'm involved in and also of friends and good times).

I have learned(I hope) a fair bit about photography by reading, being critical of myself, learning from others and friends and also this forum has contributed GREATLY. I held my first camera 10 years ago (a $20 film type) which I had till 5 years ago, but only really took photography seriously when I got my first digital camera 5 years ago and could afford to "play around with it and make mistakes" (and learn).

Haaa...! :!:You almost tempt me with the final investment (final investment never arrives, as tomorrow never does!) with a super wide-angle. Though yes, I'd agree a 10-22 or 12-24 mm lens would come in handy sometimes. While buying another lens sometime in the distant future might happen... at the moment I rather contemplate about this... that I have learned also "to be content in all circumstances", which is an important lesson to live in.

Glad you like the photo of the boy... indeed it is one of my favourite portraits of this summer, and perhaps my favourite as it wasn't posed.. I love natural photos with the subject looking innocently away. Another fav of mine is this one, a sweet girl at a camp I was leader of in July. Her smile is very warm as is her manners and positive attitude:

Thanks for writing, Bahadir. Be blessed!

Paul

Attached Images