Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Photo Critiques (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/photo-critiques-83/)
-   -   Days Gone By (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/photo-critiques-83/days-gone-54365/)

StitchBabe May 2, 2005 7:51 PM

IMAGE REMOVED..sorry.

JimC May 2, 2005 11:44 PM

I think that one may need a few repairs. Is it insured for neglect? :blah:

Idon't know if it would be better without seeing it. So, you may alreadyknow the answer to this. But, I'd probably consider taking it fromdifferent angles versus straight on for comparison purposes.

RodneyBlair May 3, 2005 5:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello StitchBabe,

This is one of those images you either like or you don't. I generally like shots like this. This one is a bit too static and the centered composition isn't interesting for me. The additional space on either side doesn't work well at balancing the image...Maybe it would be better if you had more space at the bottom or the top??

I would like to see it less saturated too. Others will prefer more vibrant colors so I guess you have to keep your audience in mind.

Provided is an edited version that I find a little more interesting.

Thank you for sharing.

Rodney

perdendosi May 3, 2005 3:27 PM

I agree with Rodney's edit, but there's something interesting about the straight-on view... I think it's the symmetry and the "face" of the car which is attractive to me. It certainly is static, but is more, hmmm, statuesque, than Rodney's edit. IMO the edit demonstrates the car as a sideways leaning artifact from yesteryear; your shot almost makes it a monument to the endurance of metal. I think either is appropriate, depending upon your intent.

RodneyBlair May 4, 2005 4:33 AM

perdendosi wrote:
Quote:

I agree with Rodney's edit, but there's something interesting about the straight-on view... I think it's the symmetry and the "face" of the car which is attractive to me. It certainly is static, but is more, hmmm, statuesque, than Rodney's edit. IMO the edit demonstrates the car as a sideways leaning artifact from yesteryear; your shot almost makes it a monument to the endurance of metal. I think either is appropriate, depending upon your intent.

I think I'd like the original better if more space were at the bottom of the frame and maybe more at the top too. There is lots of space on either side, but little at the top or bottom giving it a bit of a crunched look. The original has an unusual Portrait feel to it which I kind of like. :-)

Rodney

StitchBabe May 5, 2005 11:04 AM

Thanks to everyone who commented on this image. If anything, it was a good learning experience.

JimC-I do have many different angles of this truck ...I decided to post this one.

Rodney-I imagine it's a matter of taste as I'm not fond of the tilted look to the truck and with the cropping it looks as though the truck is 'boxed' up. Thank you...I do value your opinions.

Perdendosi-Yes, it's all about intent ...and what one person might like and another doesn't...as is with many things in life....

Thanks again!! :-)

StitchBabe

digcamfan May 5, 2005 11:59 AM

I like your version, StitchBabe.

:)

Hards80 May 6, 2005 12:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
how 'bout this for a little added interest.. its quick n dirty, but you get the idea...

KENNETHD May 6, 2005 12:15 PM

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:

how 'bout this for a little added interest.. its quick n dirty, but you get the idea...
Yaaa....now, there's an edit I didn't see coming! I do think this looks cool....best regards,

KennethD

RodneyBlair May 6, 2005 12:56 PM

StitchBabe,

My edit is for demonstration purposes. I rarely ever care for images that have been fixed. I provided it to get a point across. If this truck is one you can shoot again, I'd do so. You like the image you've posted best of a series of shots you've taken of this scene, but liking it doesn't make it interesting or a strong composition. Sure, the old truck is interesting to many, but as a scene, it is lacking. Try to get a more interesting composition. A different time of day with clear skys so you'll have more directional lighting can make it more dramatic. An angular shadow of the truck could give this image a less static feel.

Good luck!

Rodney