f/11
iso 1000
55mm
manual focus
Attached Images

Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:51 AM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Hi Linda,

The main subject is out of focus for me... I think a greater depth of filed would bring all the elements into sharp focus. I also find the bud on the left side of the frame distracting. I prefer to crop it out of the frame.

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:34 PM   #3

G'day Linda

With any macro / close up stuff, there are a number of extra issues that come along to bug us - outdoors it's the breeze and ants and clouds going across the sun along with others. Whether it's indoors or outdoors, we have issues of camera angle and our old friend Depth of FIeld

You state that you have a "B&W +10 macro filter" for your macro use. May I correct one thing - it is NOT a filter, it is a lens, curved glass that forms an image ... it just attaches to the filter accessory thread on a bigger lens. Being a "+10-dioptre close up lens" it has a focus distance of 1/10-metre / 4 inches from lens to subject regardless of whatever main lens it is attached to.

Using this lens on your 18-55 is quite okay, as the 18-55 will stop down to at least F22 ... issues come along [as here in the above image] with other stuff getting in the way. Many of us will cut a bud and place it into a small vase, and rotate the vase to place the bud in the best viewing position

For myself [and as a possible for you] I use a different close-up lens on my big zoom lens. I use the "Canon 250D" lens on my big zoom and can achieve some great shots. If you want to consider it as a possibility ... it is a +4-dioptre lens with a focus distance 1/4-metre / 10-inches. I will post some images of a hibiscus flower into a new post for you to consider

The Canon 250D comes in several diameters to suit different main lenses and costs about $us75

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
Hi Linda,

The main subject is out of focus for me... I think a greater depth of filed would bring all the elements into sharp focus. I also find the bud on the left side of the frame distracting. I prefer to crop it out of the frame.

Jehan
Thank you Jehan!
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day Linda

With any macro / close up stuff, there are a number of extra issues that come along to bug us - outdoors it's the breeze and ants and clouds going across the sun along with others. Whether it's indoors or outdoors, we have issues of camera angle and our old friend Depth of FIeld

You state that you have a "B&W +10 macro filter" for your macro use. May I correct one thing - it is NOT a filter, it is a lens, curved glass that forms an image ... it just attaches to the filter accessory thread on a bigger lens. Being a "+10-dioptre close up lens" it has a focus distance of 1/10-metre / 4 inches from lens to subject regardless of whatever main lens it is attached to.

Using this lens on your 18-55 is quite okay, as the 18-55 will stop down to at least F22 ... issues come along [as here in the above image] with other stuff getting in the way. Many of us will cut a bud and place it into a small vase, and rotate the vase to place the bud in the best viewing position

For myself [and as a possible for you] I use a different close-up lens on my big zoom lens. I use the "Canon 250D" lens on my big zoom and can achieve some great shots. If you want to consider it as a possibility ... it is a +4-dioptre lens with a focus distance 1/4-metre / 10-inches. I will post some images of a hibiscus flower into a new post for you to consider

The Canon 250D comes in several diameters to suit different main lenses and costs about $us75

Hope this helps
Yeah, tell me about the breeze -- talk about PITA! Yes, I find my depth of field is so tight at 55mm and using the +10 diopter lens (thanks for the correction).

I will definitely check out the Canon 250D. The macro lens I was looking at is expensive. Thanks for the help!
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post

I will post some images of a hibiscus flower into a new post for you to consider

Hope this helps
Looking forward to the hibiscus!