Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Photo Critiques (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/photo-critiques-83/)
-   -   High key attempt (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/photo-critiques-83/high-key-attempt-75540/)

belibeli Dec 22, 2005 7:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just try to learn about this techique.

VAtechtigger Dec 22, 2005 10:11 AM

Good experiment beli.

Not my fort'e so to speak but here is my 2 cents

I would try to shoot with a light colored background (white sheet or wall) so you do not have to photoshop so much, which is giving you problems with the hair. Then when you increase the highlights, the background should drop out completely to a white (if thats what your going for) If you dont want to photoshop at all, you could set up alot of light (1 left, right, center) to lessen any contrasting shadows on her face.

Im my limited dabbles with "high Key" my thoughts are to lessen the contrast of the overall image along with shifting the histogram to the right. I dont hink you need to blow the highlights as much as you did, loosing all texture in her face. Just drop the contrast.

Good job

Hards80 Dec 22, 2005 2:24 PM

yea.. this one doesnt feel right.. its too overexposed..

in high key you are going to blow out the background, but you don't want to lose detail in your subject.. you want the skin tones to be quite bright, but you still want to keep the details..

shoot against a white background so you can easily blow the background yet retain detail in your subject..

good luck mate,
dustin

belibeli Dec 22, 2005 3:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is the original

belibeli Dec 22, 2005 3:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is another attempt

Hards80 Dec 22, 2005 5:12 PM

i like this second attempt much better.. but i think some slight burning to the lips will improve the detail in this important area.. good job though, i like this one..

-dustin

belibeli Dec 22, 2005 5:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hards80 wrote:
Quote:

i like this second attempt much better.. but i think some slight burning to the lips will improve the detail in this important area.. good job though, i like this one..

-dustin
Thank you forsharing your knowledge with me.

Aumma45 Dec 22, 2005 9:58 PM

Luis, I don't undestand this kind of shot, may be you can explain.

belibeli Dec 23, 2005 5:05 AM

Aumma45 wrote:
Quote:

Luis, I don't undestand this kind of shot, may be you can explain.
High Key

Intentionally overexposing a photograph can create a fascinating image that tells a beautiful story. High key photography can be achieved by adjusting your camera settings or by using your photoshop high key feature.

The problem is that I donĀ“t know to do a good one.

Look in the web to see a better one.

Regards Luis.

shadowlies Dec 23, 2005 6:54 AM

I am running with CS2 (got my christmas present early, woo hoo!)and I can't find the high key function. Could you explain to me where to find it?