Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Photo Critiques (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/photo-critiques-83/)
-   -   London Brick (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/photo-critiques-83/london-brick-83676/)

In search of Syd Mar 15, 2006 11:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Recently I haven't had much opportunity to take hardly any pics at all for one reason or another, but mainly due to the dismal British Winter weather. Running my own landscape gardening business usually provides me with plently of opportunities for photographic subjects. Today was the first truly sunny (and even warm) day we've had here in the south, and apart from the odd Spring flower in the garden I was working in, the only other thingof any photographic interest to me was this old piece of house brick that's been lying around for quite a while. I'm not sure whether it really holds any interest or whether it is just that I've got desperate recently for things to photograph.

Comments appreciated as always . . .

oBSidian Mar 15, 2006 11:49 AM

Syd, I'm with you on the winter weather front!! - and today - it was actually pleasant - I went outside and I had the feeling that we might just possibly get spring by mid June ;)

I'm not quite sure on the photo front... it's well executed, the subject is nicely in focus.

The white parts below the D of LONDON seem a little hot to me.

My gut reaction is the background needs something doing to it, but I'm not sure what. I know that's not very helpful - but I find myself thinking 'I like the brick, and the texture of the leaves at the bottom right, but something's not quite right'.

my £0.02 ;)

Best,

-Ben

LT7 Mar 15, 2006 1:04 PM

Syd, I think you should try blurring out the background a little more, or maybe, maybe go for a B&W conversion and add a teenie weenie bit of noise to it. Just a thought.

LT

SteveDak Mar 15, 2006 1:37 PM

Syd,

I think you have a sound building block here on which to build.

Gosh, its been hot here today btw.

oBSidian Mar 15, 2006 1:39 PM

Steve, that's a TERRIBLE pun!

... .. .

:cool:

;)

-B

SteveDak Mar 15, 2006 1:42 PM

I'm sorry ....... I think the balmy weather's getting to me :G

DomCotton Mar 15, 2006 1:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One of my friends is in australia and was really enjoying telling me how hot it was there and how she had seen on the weather that it was crap in england. Nothing new there then!

Syd, there is a little over exposure around the text but i do like the numbers on the right hand end of the brick, casts a nice shadow and has some nice texture.

I personally would have cropped as below? Hope you dont mind...

Dom

LT7 Mar 15, 2006 3:27 PM

That was the crop that I was referring to in my earlier post, BUT, couldn't do it from my work computer. Sorry if it wasn't clear enough in my post. Have a great one.

LT

In search of Syd Mar 15, 2006 3:45 PM

Thanks folks. I considered the same crop but was worried someone would gimme grief about aspect ratio and all that. The burnt out bits are white paint stains on the brick.

I am not even going to respond to Steve's constant reminders about that balmy South African weather as it only encourages him. :blah:

Regards,

Syd

SteveDak Mar 16, 2006 2:14 AM

OK - I won't mention the weather again:(

However, did anybody see theCRICKET on Sunday? :D:D:D

All the Aussies I know claim they missed it, but I know they're lying through their teeth :G:G:G