Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Photo Critiques (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/photo-critiques-83/)
-   -   My Home Town 2 (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/photo-critiques-83/my-home-town-2-a-76961/)

In search of Syd Jan 6, 2006 7:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dale put that spray can down!

In search of Syd Jan 6, 2006 7:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
More . . . .

In search of Syd Jan 6, 2006 7:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
. . . and more . . .

In search of Syd Jan 6, 2006 7:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
. . .

In search of Syd Jan 6, 2006 7:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
. . . .

LadyhawkVA Jan 6, 2006 7:45 AM

So where is everybody when all this is going on? Why doesn't anyone see these guys at work? It has to take a little while to do this stuff. If it was my property I'd be really steamed.

SteveDak Jan 6, 2006 7:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Syd, I see you've been putting your 9500 to good use :G

In search of Syd Jan 6, 2006 8:01 AM

Actually Steve, that was taken remotely with the ISoS Safari prototype,

I really dunno Lady. What I thought was particularly bad was, a few years back the ancient standing stones at Avebury (far, far older than Stonehenge) were covered in the same fashion.

LadyhawkVA Jan 6, 2006 8:44 AM

Man, that really sucks about Avebury. I hope the stones have been cleaned.

Aumma45 Jan 6, 2006 10:09 AM

So is it some kind of disease in the minds of such people doing such things to great places. Just can't understand this kind of behaviour. The other day was in a conference in Spain and someone actually gave a talk on this one. Difficult to understand this destructive powers.

Why don't they try their art someone where it is not offensive?

Kind regard.

Jaki.

In search of Syd Jan 6, 2006 10:44 AM

The stones at Avebury are all cleaned up now, but cost a lot to put it right. You can still see slight traces in places.

This has occurred overnight on railway carriges, bridges, graves, war memorials . . . . you name it, it's there.

The thing is, this art will never be appreciated with such insensitive choices of canvas. On paper, in Japanese style graphic comic books maybe.

Mind you it has been going on for a while. I remember the "Eric Clapton is God" graffiti everywhere during the late 60's early 70's. At least they had taste in those days.

frenchy Jan 6, 2006 11:43 AM

In search of Syd wrote:
Quote:

I remember the "Eric Clapton is God" graffiti everywhere during the late 60's early 70's. At least they had taste in those days.
Depressing to see, it really is. There's not much around Ashford but the train to London's a different story. The suburbs there are covered in the stuff. It always amazes me why people risk life and limb to do this - train tracks, railway bridges, etc.

In search of Syd Jan 6, 2006 2:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)

In search of Syd Jan 6, 2006 3:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey SteveDak, I just saw this . . .

Writing is on the wall
at the Joburg Art Gallery

November 4, 2003
By Tammy O'Reilly
UNDERGROUND graffiti culture is taking its place in the mainstream with an unusual exhibition of photographs, The ones on top won't make it stop, currently on exhibition at the Johannesburg Art Gallery.
Making the work of the unknown graffiti artists visible, photographer Lolo Veleko's exhibition of pictures taken around Johannesburg and Cape Town opened at the gallery on Sunday 2 November. The photographs are accompanied by a video of South African and Swiss graffiti shot during her recent residency in Basel, Switzerland.
"I got the name from graffiti writing I saw while I was in Cape Town. The statement makes sense, especially for graffiti writers, because for many years people and parts of society have been trying to stop graffiti artists," said Veleko.
She maintains that graffiti is a means of expressing issues that the youth encounter in post-apartheid South Africa. "The global world thinks that South Africans are free and live in peace, whereas it is not so. The youth still struggle with identity and gender issues and the use of public spaces are used to express their concerns."
Veleko, a finalist in the 2003 MTN New Contemporaries Award, has had her work exhibited at the MuseuMAfrika in Newtown and at an exhibition in Switzerland.
Her show is on at the gallery until 2 December. (looks like you missed this Steve)

From The City of Johannesburg Website