Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Photo Critiques (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/photo-critiques-83/)
-   -   Next to lighthouse (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/photo-critiques-83/next-lighthouse-185144/)

rpmarques Mar 8, 2011 1:04 AM

Next to lighthouse

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all

I'd like to read your thoughts about this photo.

The photo was taken using a Canon 450D with Tamron 28-300 lens with polarizing filter.

That day was a sunny day very bright. The white stones, shine brightly in the sunlight while the sky was in a strong blue.

In my opinion it was a tricky lighting conditions ... especially for a newbie like me :)

This first photo is directly from the camera... only got resized
The second, I tried to improve the exposure and recover some detail of the stones.

What do you think of each?

Ordo Mar 8, 2011 5:15 PM

This is one of the few cases in which i think that the person is distracting from an otherwise very good pick. And that is cause the photo is so good that it will not accept two main subjects. It's either the lighthouse or the woman.

rpmarques Mar 8, 2011 7:30 PM

Thanks for your words Ordo!

You left me a bit confused ... My English sometimes fails :D

Let's see if I understand correctly what you say:

Could be a good photo of a lighthouse ... or could be a good photo of a woman ...

As it is, is a photo well taken but has two objects "screaming" to be the main theme.

Did i got it? :)

lonefeather93 Mar 9, 2011 2:20 PM

try to use a red filter on it. or in PS use the filters. the red will bring out alot more detail for you i think.

Ordo Mar 9, 2011 2:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpmarques (Post 1207305)
As it is, is a photo well taken but has two objects "screaming" to be the main theme.

Did i got it? :)

You did.

daveleau Mar 18, 2011 7:20 AM

If you pull your blue hue to the left in RAW under HSL/Greyscale, you would get a more compelling and interesting sky behind the subjects.

DigMe Mar 18, 2011 9:23 AM

If you're going to have both woman and lighthouse in the pic I think the woman would have been better placed more camera left so that the entire lighthouse is in view. IMO the highlights are still too bright in the second one.

brad

rpmarques Mar 18, 2011 3:11 PM

Thank you all for the C&C

pj1974 Mar 21, 2011 6:00 AM

Interesting photo... but I'd probably prefer the colour version (I rarely like black and whites).

If I would have taken this photo, I would have put the woman to one side of the photo (now she is blocking part of the base of the lighthouse).

An ok job in post processing (that can be tricky) - and good that you recovered some details - however the 2nd photos appears a bit softer on my monitor.

Cheers

Paul

rpmarques Mar 21, 2011 4:54 PM

I dont have a color version... it was taken in B&W set in camera :o

The photo was not planed... i was standing over the rocks taking other pics (really bad ones lol)... I looked back and I saw my girlfriend sitting there looking the sea and took the photo... and this is the photo I got... basically a point and shoot one :D