Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Photo Critiques (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/photo-critiques-83/)
-   -   Red (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/photo-critiques-83/red-86499/)

In search of Syd Apr 12, 2006 10:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Strawberries . . .

LT7 Apr 12, 2006 10:46 AM

Nice and sharp picture Syd, great advertising material for Strawberries.

LT

JunixRose Apr 12, 2006 1:39 PM

First Ken and now you, its time for lunch. Those are some amazing looking berries. What country did they import those from?

In search of Syd Apr 12, 2006 1:54 PM

Thanks LT & Junix. I think the theme for the week must be food. Not sure where the berries are from, but they get bigger and better as the season gets on. Wimbledon time in June is the time for English strawberries.

KENNETHD Apr 12, 2006 5:59 PM

AAhhhh...rrred red strawberries. My turn to critique. I would say these would be more appealing sans plastic container. No borders either. Fruits and veggies. Glorious models. How can you go wrong shooting good to eat food?

Kd

kenmck15 Apr 12, 2006 6:02 PM

Great colour and sharpness

ken

SteveDak Apr 13, 2006 2:23 AM

But it's all right.
That is I think it's not too bad.
Let me take you down,
‘Cos I'm going to Strawberry Fields.
Nothing is real
And nothing to get hungabout.
Strawberry Fields forever

:cool:

In search of Syd Apr 13, 2006 2:30 AM

Ahhhh! another great British invention . . the Beatles.

I thought you might like to blow this up and hang it in your master kitchen or one of the kitchenettes on the third floor . . .

LBoy Apr 13, 2006 3:42 AM

I would like to ask.... Why do you really want a critique on this. ???? Really I would like to know what you are expecting to hear, other than the usual praise from the frequent flyer's?

I know this is going to stick out as less than friendly, however its not my intention at all.

Really like so many others, I baffled for the reason of the posting. 100 posts of similar or for that matter snaps of various objects is hardly stretching yours or our imaginations Syd.

The forum is really trashed don't you think. No real content any more and certainly no real critique. I mean everyone has left.

I really sorry for this Syd. Your obviously a good guy and from what I've seen on some occasions - a fine photographer, but maybe requesting a page of your own from Steve would be a better way to go ?? :blah:

Still I love you though..... really! :?

In search of Syd Apr 13, 2006 4:10 AM

I could delve into a character analysis/bashof you too but would rather not. I could ask why you keep posting the same old boring series of pics that are; cold, lack imagination, perhaps very cooly calculated technically, and always with a hint incredible arrogance and conceit. Relying mainly on your "feminine" charm or what I would call manipulation.

As of late you very rarely (if ever) comment on anybody elses posts unless they have proved to be your most compliant sychophants in feeding you praise. Perhaps you're just too busy to comment these days, but seem to have time to have plenty of time for your own posts.

If you were more of an active and constructive member of this forum then perhaps you would realise that at quiet times there is much friendly banter and mutual support going on. I realise these concepts must be strange to you.

And why oh why are you so intent on causing disharmony at every opportunity, let alone your inability to deal with minor frustrations you have with this forum. I also doubt you lack any sense of self critique too.

But I still love you too! :blah:

LBoy Apr 13, 2006 4:28 AM

I didn't give a character bash Syd. And will ignore your synopses of mine.

I have not posted much recently, and people are more than free to give an honest opinion on anything I post. I have certainly not given anything other than an honest opinion about the shots here that I have seen.

You mention that I'm not commenting much on others posts. Its true because I don't want to give negative critique, however its sometimes all I can offer. The negative stuff, some people are able use and to understand as a way of improving. For many others its just a downer.

I really don't want to cause disharmony.And I have been on this forum for a little while without that being said. Syd this is a critique forum.

What I'm getting at is maybe quality is better than quantity.

The bottom line is that the photograph above has no photographic merits other than a simple shot that could be taken by anyone pointing a camera randomly. If your not man enough to understand that, fine. If you don't like my stuff, thats fine too, I don't take anything personally about it.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you.

Ps, your character assassination is off themark, I think you have picked me up wrongly.

In search of Syd Apr 13, 2006 4:36 AM

LBoy wrote:
Quote:

I really don't want to cause disharmony.And I have been on this forum for a little while without that being said. Syd this is a critique forum.
You are also telling a few fibs I think. Here's a response from someone else a few pages back to one of your errudite critiques . . .

LBoy wrote:
Quote:

flowers again. Nice to see the high level of photographic imagination on these forums. :(

Are you all too frightened to take that expensive equipment any further than your back gardens ?

"Well, Mr. "All I can do is insult and be sarcastic", this shot happens to have been taken at the botanical gardens up in Toronto, which is several hundred miles from my back garden. Iwonder why someone such as yourself does nothing on a forum except go around and insult other people or their work. Nearly every post you make is degrading or flippant. I'm not sure why you waste your own time just to do that, is your life really *that* dull that this is fun for you?!

Oh, and, I'll be sure to tell the world of photography that every possible good shot of a flower has been taken and flower photos are no longer permitted in the sci-art of photography."

And yet another response . . .

LBoy wrote:
Quote:

flowers again. Nice to see the high level of photographic imagination on these forums. :(

Are you all too frightened to take that expensive equipment any further than your back gardens ?

"I hate to say it, but that seems pretty rude to me. Flowers are a thing of natural beauty just as everything else in nature is. Many people love flowers, and spend their entire lives cultivating them to perfection. Photography is about photographing what you like. We should not put down pictures of flowers, sunsets, and waterfalls merely because they are commonly photographed. Each one is different and unique, and if you do not appreciate a picture, you can say so, but you don't have to be rude about it."

You didn't/don't even have the common decency to respond to these two remarks. Seems your MO is to say something incredibly sarcastic, arrogant and extremely rude, then run away before your remarks are challenged. What a nasty coward you appear to be.

So, please don't give me any crap that you've been around awhile and never caused any offence or problems with anyone, AKA ~ disharmony. Perhaps you would like me to quote a few more examples?

"Dear LBoy,

I really appreciate your value suggestions and advice on how to improve this shot. Photography is just my hobby and therefore I'm not using it for a living or competition at the moment. I've just entered this field since March 2005 and I've not participated in any photography course yet. I am still learning it. On the contrary, you may be a pro and it is your living so our point of view is different.

I really appreciate someone's constructive comments like yours which should be straightforward to my works but I can't accept offensive comments and words like "stupid, silly" arrogantly used. I think you have read the forum rules and hope you bear this in mind."

and . . .

Lboy, you remind me of that lonely 7th grade bully that didn't know any other way to get attention but to poke fun at other people. Funny thing is, though, I saw thatguy at our 10 year reunion, and he had grown up. He seemed to be a decent, civil guy. You could learn a thing or two from him I'll bet, you used to have a lot in common.

and with incredible audacity . . .LBoy wrote:

Quote:

.Ps, your character assassination is off themark, I think you have picked me up wrongly.
Maybe so. Perhaps you need to put a little thought into how you address things and approach matters. In my opinion you really do seem a very cold and arrogant person.

I do take your points on the quality over quantity issue, but I'm trying to learn here. Not just post what I think are already great images worthy for mass markets.

LBoy Apr 13, 2006 4:48 AM

Maybe it comes across like that. I am sitting at work and I had a spare 15 min.

I'm in a rush and maybe thats why. I did try to add some smiles as I knew I was being very formalas such inthe time I had.

Anyway need to go.

I cant win. I praised someone's photograph and said I had something similar previously in my home. Only to be told I'm cold and like to cause disruption.

ps. I don't pick a choose on here. The person who took the photograph I like above has had plenty of critique not always positive. That what is all about after all.

Problem with e-mail is that smilies are not enough to convey the sentiments indented.

take it easy.

Have a good Easter.

alex james Apr 13, 2006 8:10 AM

come on you to kiss and make up. :ak47::flame:

HAPPY EASTER.Alex

In search of Syd Apr 13, 2006 8:21 AM

[align=center]HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE![/align]

In search of Syd Apr 14, 2006 4:09 AM

Quote:

Iwonder why someone such as yourself does nothing on a forum except go around and insult other people or their work. Nearly every post you make is degrading or flippant. I'm not sure why you waste your own time just to do that, is your life really *that* dull that this is fun for you?!

Well?

In search of Syd Apr 14, 2006 7:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I wondered whether this fun edit of the original post has any more appeal. I was thinking along the lines of an artsy advertisement type image. Your constructive comments welcomed as always.

Regards,

Syd

jcepp Apr 14, 2006 12:16 PM

The enforced symmetry ruins it for me. My kid has some software that creates just this kind of image.

KENNETHD Apr 14, 2006 3:59 PM

I had a discussion months ago, and a few since then, questioning the direction of the Critiques forum. A couple in particulair were members who take photography very seriously. I know we have all gone the same route, each of us have taken an assortment of photography courses since joining Steve's, in an effort to increase our knowledge and skills, and to be more astute in PP. I wasn't surprised that the opinions they passed on to me were concerns for the Critique forum as in it was annoying to them that a large number of posts were run of the mill "look at this" type of shots, not really members seemingly bent on a journey of self improvement. The Critiques forum was created to allow members to critique and dissect as they see fit, (within forum guidelines) without contributing members getting bent out of shape at the critisizm. My response to my friends was thatI agreed the flavor had changed, and fewer members were submitting their work with the serious intent on masterful improvement via enlightening critique. Having said that, I encouraged them to continue submitting their work. There is no category for the "interesting eh?" photograph, and Critiques is as close as you'll find. Every other category is limited to one subject, or one theme. I think there is enough room in Critiques for the whole spectrum from all submitters. For serious photography on one end where every nuance is considered, to quick shots, on the spur of the moment, every type can be accepted and judged and commented on, even the humorous subjects. No one is twisting our arm to respond to any of them, and we are able to sort out those we identify with from those we don't. Even when I have no clue about a photograph, I sometimes get a heads up in some of the comments it attracts. Even nonsense has a positive side to it, as you never know when a bit of frivolity will yield a surprising photograph. After a long stint at pursuing the serious aspects of our hobby, I changed gears for a bit and pursued subjects based on colors, weather phenomena, sports, street photography, and some light hearted goofing around. It changed my perspective, but not my intent. I was still bent on getting great pictures where and if I could. The variety that's here now, will change as we go along. I think we should all keep shooting and go with the flow.

Kd

MarkString Apr 14, 2006 11:00 PM

That paragraph was very difficult to read.

KENNETHD Apr 15, 2006 12:10 AM

MarkString wrote:
Quote:

That paragraph was very difficult to read.
I'm not surprised. I fell asleep twice writing it.

thinpaperwings Apr 15, 2006 3:39 PM

That's funny: I thought it was very eloquent. : )

KENNETHD Apr 15, 2006 3:42 PM

thinpaperwings wrote:
Quote:

That's funny: I thought it was very eloquent. :)
Nudge nudge wink wink...I just didn't want to bore anyone and will take the blame for being long winded. Thanks, TPW...

Kd

In search of Syd Apr 15, 2006 4:35 PM

True words of wisdom if I ever heard them and as near a philosphy statement for Critiques as anyone could hope for.

I only fell asleep once! :lol:

Always look on the brightside of life . . . I have learnt a few lessons here.

SteveDak Apr 16, 2006 4:47 PM

LBoy wrote:
Quote:

100 posts of similar or for that matter snaps of various objects is hardly stretching yours or our imaginations Syd.
The samemight besaid of your repeated posts of blurred motion, butIhave not felt compelled to comment negativelyon yourphotographic activities, just because Ifindthem boring. Others apparently still findyour workinteresting, so a sense of common decencydictates that I should respect your efforts and the interests of others. You would do well to consider exercising the same courtesy.

Quote:

The forum is really trashed don't you think. No real content any more and certainly no real critique. I mean everyone has left.
You have expressed a personalopinion here,as is your right on a public forum (regardless of whether that opinion hasany merit, oriseven justifiable, or not).

Yourcomment concerning the qualityof the currentcontributors to this forumand theirsubmissions is however demeaning in the extreme and reflects an insensitivitycharacteristicofsomeone pre-occupied with themself and their own self-importance. Since the character of a forum is determined entirely byits members, you are implying that the current contributors here are 'trash'. Neither a particularly helpful nor encouraging point of view, I would venture to suggest.Although you might consider yourselfto bethepedagogueof all matters photographic,othersdo not and thankfullywill notafford your ill-conceived commentmuch credence.

Sweepinggeneralisations such as 'I mean everyone has left'are of no valueand serve only to emphasise your own selfish motivation.'Everyone' has not left, otherwise this forum would not still be in existence.Some have movedon and itis now clearthat you believe that certain of these people, whoever they might be, were the onlycontributorsto this forum of any real substance- other than yourself of course, who apparently in your opinion, remainsa lonely light shining in the darkness of a photographic abyss.

KENNETHD Apr 16, 2006 6:16 PM

As you can see from my moniker I am going on 2 years now as a member. Not that long really, but long enough to see changes. I perused this site for years before actually joining. I have evolved somewhat. I've learned more about photography, I've learned a lot more about digital cameras. I also learned a thing or two about the give and take on the forum. To comment on the view that people have left, is a bit premature, I think. From email exchanges, and PM's with some members, and then added to that the insight gained from reading the forums, my conclusion is that we all have other things to do, and Steve's, while a significant part of life for us in this hobby, gets from us what we can afford and when we can afford to give it. (Ya, being retired I have more "time" on my hands than you) I refer to time and effort. It's understandable that not everyone can keep up the level of contribution they give, all the time. We have had personality clashes from time to time, and disagreements stemming from photographic issues have led to unpleasant posts back and forth. If you follow this forum for a long time, you'll see things change. You'll see members change, and the general spectrum of photographic posts goes from one pole to the other. We are far from a static bunch. Nothing stays the same for long. To conclude that people have left, when this forum is less than two years old, is a bit premature. To conclude that the flavor of posts we see now will be the norm from here on in, is premature as well. It's more likely that some of us are just exploring various ways to be creative. As I have said before, there's a broad spectrum and infinite possibiliies in our hobby. Sooner or later, whatever topic thrills you, whether it is serious artistic and technical brilliance, toabstract creativity, or static displays of natural color, or just a photograph thats plain intriquing, this is where it will turn up sooner or later. The same can be said of our members. Just when you think they have gone walkabout forever, up pops a post from them. Tho opposing points of view are unavoidable, and some give and take is entertaining, when all's said and done, IMO we owe each other the courtesy of keeping serious remarks limited to our photographic perception. Amen. (Ok where's the little thingy with the halo??? I mean it W A S a sermon.....)

Kd

Kd

In search of Syd Apr 16, 2006 6:25 PM

What about the strawbwerries? :?

vindolanda Apr 17, 2006 1:21 PM

Lboy wrote:

Quote:

I know this is going to stick out as less than friendly, however its not my intention at all.

I really sorry for this Syd. Your obviously a good guy and from what I've seen on some occasions - a fine photographer.

Still I love you though..... really! :?

Don't forget this was added to the original post. So why the witch-hunt here?

I think its her thing to be controversial. Maybe to get the point over, I don't know.

Anyway I agree, its almost an impossible shot to critique. No one here has anyway. All I can add or say is that it is sharp. I wouldn't like to list the negatives.

If people would spend more time concentrating on the photography rather than these flaming wars to responses they don't like, the site would be the better for it.

Steve and Ken, What possible help have you added. Why not post a critique and be of some benefit instead of propagating the obvious clique's on these forums.

:(

E.S. Crawford Apr 17, 2006 1:48 PM

i think the edit i quite bitchin', dude!

scot

KENNETHD Apr 17, 2006 2:01 PM

vindolanda wrote:
Quote:

Steve and Ken, What possible help have you added. Why not post a critique and be of some benefit instead of propagating the obvious clique's on these forums.

:(
From time to time, especially in critiques...we clash on what the purpose of the forum ought to be. Like any family, we squabble a bit. No harm done. We get to know each other better, and understand each other's point of view. We all kiss and make up. We're more effective than the United Nations...

Kd

vindolanda Apr 17, 2006 2:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh, the edit.

actually i never saw the edit.

it works more for me in terms of an original imige with some originality. i had a play. hope you dont mind. dont know if it adds anything.

KENNETHD Apr 17, 2006 2:35 PM

In search of Syd wrote:
Quote:

Oh ya....the strawberries!!!! Syd, I love strawberries. This last edit does not do strawberries the justice they deserve. Color and focus, are ok, but when I see the induced symmetry, to my eye, it reduces the lusciousness of the fruit to a mere display of symetical color. That could work for me, if I weren't already attatched to the original concept, where you present this as an offering of fresh, delicious looking fruit. If I were asked to choose, I'd choose the original, for it's appeal to the lover of fresh fruit that I am. Can you work on something with less circular symmetry? This being spring and all, I am starting to see (sorry but I love to eat) all kinds of colorful fresh fruits and veggies in the markets, and I plan to post some more food related produce type shots. The strawberry is an asymetrical tho still beautiful subject. Hats off for the original. (apologies for spelling)

Kd

SteveDak Apr 18, 2006 3:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In search of Syd wrote:
Quote:

As I was saying, before the diversion .......... :G

But it's all right.
That is I think it's not too bad.
Let me take you down,
‘Cos I'm going to Strawberry Fields.
Nothing is real
And nothing to get hungabout.
Strawberry Fields forever

Any comment on my Trashed salad, by the way?

In search of Syd Apr 18, 2006 3:54 PM

Wait 'till you see my new mango and avacado series . . .

In search of Syd Apr 18, 2006 4:09 PM

SteveDak wrote:
Quote:

Any comment on my Trashed salad, by the way?

Isn't photography fun eh!

SteveDak Apr 18, 2006 5:45 PM

No, you halfwit :mad:

You're supposed to say what a great composition it is, how nice and sharp it is and how well the colours and tones blend together- complimented bythe altogether very original framing technique - all of whichtook about10 seconds flat in FastStone Image Viewer (not thatanyone wouldever guess mind you).

By the way, your strawberries s-u-c-k.

Last time I participate in propagating your cosy little clique.

:blah:

In search of Syd Apr 19, 2006 12:57 PM

Steve, what a great composition and how nice and sharp it is. It is lovely how the colours and tones blend together nicely and all complimented beautifully by your original framing technique too.

:yawn:

HappySnapper Syd

SteveDak Apr 19, 2006 3:00 PM

Why thank you Syd, most kind of you to say so.Your strawberries are good too.

kefln Apr 20, 2006 6:42 AM

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:

The Critiques forum was created to allow members to critique and dissect as they see fit, (within forum guidelines) without contributing members getting bent out of shape at the critisizm. My response to my friends was thatI agreed the flavor had changed, and fewer members were submitting their work with the serious intent on masterful improvement via enlightening critique.
Hi all; just thought I'd throw my two cents in. As a fairly new member I may have a different take on the "Critiques forum". I believe that it is only through commenting on others work that we learn more about our own. Every observation a person makes forces them to think, therefore explore their own views.

It is also by exploring other work that we learn what we like and dislike. So forums like this one encourage active debate. It makes a person think about things like subject matter, angles, how much PP is too much. A certain flower, or a basket of strawberries may be uninteresting to one person, but it might encourage the next to explore newer and brighter colours.

Even the "run of the mill" shots have merit as they are all part of the learning process. If by viewing and critiquing an image a person learns just something small, they in turn will think that little bit more on a similar shot.

For the more experienced photographers this might seem humdrum, but even experts don't create masterpieces every time.To quote Shakespeare: "The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."

As I said, just my two cents...

vindolanda Apr 20, 2006 7:16 AM

Hi,

I have not been available to participate (only read a little)on this site for some time due to a new member of the family so to speak. So I hope members dont mind me giving a point of view here.

I thinkyou areone hundred percent right in what you are saying Kefln. However if those shots that you are talking about are coming straight from camera, 6 per person each day, the ability of the participants to give any sort of rational critique is diminished. It is then that it also becomes apparent that those shots are being presented not for wanting of the good critique but due to the obsession of appearing on the board and for dialog with friendly mates.

After all there are many areas in Steves that are more appropriate for casual photographs to be presented, where one can express to the other "I like it ","I dont like it", "where were you last night" etc,rather than the critiques area. The critique page then becomes a dumping ground of 10s of photographs showing only "what I did at the weekend"

Now if thats what patrons want then fine. Do we than have to ask for a further page in Steves titled "Critique - (only photographic critique this time - I mean it!)" or will that page then be swamped also?

We all know these pages are not moderated very deeply and we are left to our own devises. This is a good thing. However it is also obvious to me (apart from the last week or so when this subject has been raised again) that the critiques page has slipped into what is essentially a photographic bucket forall types of photography - mostly snaps. Again to reiterate there are 10 of so other sections for that.

Then as soon as others try to help the page, or even if those photographs are heavily critiqued, offense is taken and the thread turns into a flame war. It comes across as a little bit ridiculous really.

Anyway its not totallyacross the board and by no meansare my thoughts directed at the majority of patrons who generallydo a fantastic job here.

Ialso have read thatthis had all been discussed in many cases before.

Justmy point of view.

Kind regards.