Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Photo Critiques (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/photo-critiques-83/)
-   -   Something different (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/photo-critiques-83/something-different-87247/)

JohnReid Apr 19, 2006 2:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone, I was delighted to have my camera with me at the Annual Empty Vessel Bushdiving competition (the prize is Empty Vessel Clothing). What do you think?

SteveDak Apr 19, 2006 3:02 AM

The shot is great John - very crisp and the B&W, I think, really works well. I've often wondered why B&W seems to work so well with kids shots like this and I think in part, it has something to do with memory recall conditioning. The B&W seems to elicit a particular mood for those of us who grew up in a time when B&W was the 'medium franca' of the day.

Nice capture, as always John :cool:

JohnReid Apr 19, 2006 4:57 AM

Thanks for the compliment Steve. There were two reasons this got the BW conversions.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"1. Our local paper had their journalist there with his point and shoot and he didn't get any shots so he asked me for a photo. I knew it would be printed in BW so I decided to do the conversion myself rather then allowing the newspaper to do their automated conversion.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"2. My ratio of photos that work better in colour then BW is about 10:1 therefore any photo that works in BW gets the conversion.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Now you have given me the third reason, thanks :cool:

kenmck15 Apr 19, 2006 5:50 AM

this shot is great

you have done so well to get the image so sharp and clear with such a shallow dof. This is great. i love the b&w conversion on this shot

great timing

ken

JohnReid Apr 19, 2006 6:16 AM

Thanks Ken. The DOF is has been exegerated a bit in PS. Everything that is out of focus was out of focus, but not enough, so a added a blur of about 3 or 4 and masked out the diver and the bush in the foreground.

frenchy Apr 19, 2006 7:10 AM

Nice capture and good conversion. It really does remind me of my childhood and the stupid things we used to do. I don't think that comp would be allowed here in England though - too many health and safety issues to worry about. Sad really.

JohnReid Apr 19, 2006 8:28 AM

Thats to bad Frenchy, it's really entertaining to watch. It actually happens at a surf contest during the lunch interval. It's amazing what people will do for clothes and respect:-)

In search of Syd Apr 19, 2006 2:11 PM

I agree with the above. What a superb capture. It's always a pleasure to see your posts.

JohnReid Apr 20, 2006 2:14 AM

Thank you Syd, I have to say, you do an excellent job of ensuring that everyones work is critiqued. Thanks again.

E.S. Crawford Apr 20, 2006 1:21 PM

this shot works very well, john.

ahhhhh............

it takes me back to when i used to do the very same thing when i was a kid.

all i got then was some severe head wounds and a tendency to forget what i'm

doing whilst in the middle of doing it.......

oh did i mention that it takes me back to when i was a kid.................

scot