Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Photo Critiques (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/photo-critiques-83/)
-   -   Wedding Photo (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/photo-critiques-83/wedding-photo-78188/)

Luxowell Jan 18, 2006 2:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So...what do you guys think? I think its pretty good, but i don't want to critique myself.

Here's the story: My friends wanted a cheap wedding photographer, so i ducked out of being a groomsman to take phots instead. They were more than happy with them, and I just made all the pictures their wedding present.

The picture seems to be everyones favorite, but his glasses are kind of "cutting off" his eye... which he claims he actually likes because if you ever see him, that's how he always has his glasses.

Anyway, comments are appreciated.

VAtechtigger Jan 18, 2006 2:58 PM

yeah, the glassea are kind of a sticking point, and the brides lovely hairdo is hacked off. Still a sweet photo, and if they love it than thats great. Good job on your first gig, especially a wedding. Brides (or grooms :blah:, but lets be realistic) can be a scary customer.

Hards80 Jan 18, 2006 4:43 PM

its not a bad shot at all.. i think it would be improved without the hair being cut off as well as a little more jovial expressions possibly.. the black and white presentation works well, but a little dodging/burning could help even out your exposure in places..

in the end, they enjoyed the pics, and that is what matters.. and rightfully so, its a pretty good shot all in all..

-dustin

thatsanicepicture2 Jan 18, 2006 5:44 PM

Her head is cut off. His glasses are across hie eyes. He is soft because of DOF.

BUT! It's is a pleasantcandid kinda snapshot.

dale

audioedge Jan 18, 2006 6:43 PM

i didnt know Moby had got married?

anyways onto the pic, I quite like it, captures a moment so to speak.. and glad your friends all liked it (you'll be getting abuse to do other peoples weddings now!)

slight oddity.... having the bride towering the groom is kinda weird (i guess shes sat on his knee there)

[email protected] Jan 18, 2006 7:19 PM

Looks like a quite difficult shot, in terms of light contrast, but you pulled it off.

I would be worthwhile to view other examples of your work.

johnsonM86 Jan 18, 2006 8:30 PM

this photo looks like one from a sixties wedding or something. idk something about the womans hair and the guys glasses that made me think of that.
either way looks good but seems to be a little hot in her face/cheek area.
i remember when i asked about wedding photography tips on here and everyone told me to duck out of it, LOL. did you get similar advice from anyone?

Hards80 Jan 18, 2006 8:58 PM

i don't think he asked.. he just shot...

johnsonM86 Jan 18, 2006 9:18 PM

ya maybe not on this forum but he may have asked someone else. just curious.

VAtechtigger Jan 18, 2006 11:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is just a 5 minute quicky. But as you said he likes the glassse.

Luxowell Jan 19, 2006 8:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OMG that freaks me out!

I've seen that guy probably every other day for 10 years and have NEVER seen him without his glasses... now I'm GLAD I've had this long without the eyesore (pun intended).

And yes, i was unable to get out of the wedding, but then I was able to rope in another friend of ours who works at the nice upscale photography studio in town, so it helpped a ton. It was VERY dark in there. The only light was supposed to pour through stain glass, but it was a cloudy day. We had some strobes set up, and honestly, they weren't all winners for sure... but they were more than happy with what they got. I'm still trying to get around to editing the video.

Long story short, ANOTHER friend roped me in a month or two later. I was way more nervious about this one, but it turned out ok and was my first real paying gig. That one was tough, because she was as pale as can be, blonde hair, white dress... he has dark hair, olive skin and a dark tux. Man, I never thought I'd have to be thinking about all this stuff! :)

Anyway, this is another photo from the wedding I liked. Just a candid shot of the best man (another good friend) standing outside and catching a smoke before the ceremony.

*edit: and yes, i asked here and got about 20 posts in an hour, all telling me to run away and become a monk... it wasn't THAT bad, but just because both weddings i did were very laid back events of friends who I also knew had laid back families. If that weren't the case, I wouldn't have even considered it.

LT7 Jan 19, 2006 12:10 PM

I like that picture apart from the technical imperfections, I think it is very nice, it captures the moment, and the most important reason of all I think, is that the couple likes it. Great Job!

LT

VAtechtigger Jan 19, 2006 12:46 PM

man, that sad shot of the best man makes it look like hes giong to a funeral instead of a wedding. Then again, maybe they arent so different....... :shock: