Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 5, 2006, 3:16 PM   #11

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
G'day Ken,

For a first sunset shot, you've cracked a ripper! (hope that makes sense in Kiwonese!) :blah:

In other words, you've caught a wonderful sunset, Ken, done it very well.

I'm sort of half-half, agreeing that the plastic chair sort of doesn't add justice to an otherwise "natural" scene, yet without it I could imagine it might have missed something in the foreground.

Anyway, I think you should be thankful you've done such a great shot. I love sunsets, and you'll see a number of great sunset shotsin the landscapeforum, I'm sure you've seen some there already!

Thanks for sharing... (what about a chance of your girlfriend lying on the chair, now THAT might have been a better idea!!?) :lol:

Paul

Hi Paul

thanks for the feedback mate.

yes that would have been a great idea, i can imagine it now

thanks again for the kind words

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 4:31 PM   #12

Great composition and nice colours, I like this picture
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 4:34 PM   #13

Boily wrote:
Quote:
Great composition and nice colours, I like this picture

thanks mate

appreciate the comments

ken

Old Sep 5, 2006, 8:23 PM   #14

My eyestell me since there isn't enough dynamic sky directly opposite thethatched roof thereby keeping your eyes away from the darkness of the top half,then the sky and the roof aren't important here.

Absent the chair with that much gloominess in the foreground would have dampened the spirit of the picture. The chair tells meit was correctly placed in thescene; you can look at the sunset from that chair without upsetting the power of the sunset. From my perspectiveit needed to be a part of this scene. This chair adds strength to this serenecomposition.

A second lookcomment on the roof: if the top half had been eliminated then the gentle but faint sun-lit rim effect from the bottom half would have worked I believe. It would have enclosed the viewer, not in the sense of suffocation, but an added perspective with the chair. If the roof had not been so dense so as to allowsome sunlight , just a tiny bit, then the roof may have added that final quality.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 9:21 PM   #15

Andrew Waters wrote:
Quote:

My eyestell me since there isn't enough dynamic sky directly opposite thethatched roof thereby keeping your eyes away from the darkness of the top half,then the sky and the roof aren't important here.

Absent the chair with that much gloominess in the foreground would have dampened the spirit of the picture. The chair tells meit was correctly placed in thescene; you can look at the sunset from that chair without upsetting the power of the sunset. From my perspectiveit needed to be a part of this scene. This chair adds strength to this serenecomposition.

A second lookcomment on the roof: if the top half had been eliminated then the gentle but faint sun-lit rim effect from the bottom half would have worked I believe. It would have enclosed the viewer, not in the sense of suffocation, but an added perspective with the chair. If the roof had not been so dense so as to allowsome sunlight , just a tiny bit, then the roof may have added that final quality.

hi Andrew

thanks for your very in depth analysis of the shot. Im glad you seem to agree with teh chair placment, as i mentioned earlier i had put it there. The roof was a umbrella made from flax. I wasnt sure about this and was tempted to clone it out but i did feel it sort of framed the shot up.

I agree with you in the sense of thinking the umbrella is to dense and i guess it does occupy a large portion of the shot making it absent of possibly exra character or play on its form

thanks again

your feedback has been noted

ken